Multi-gym in house

Options
Hi there,

I would very much appreciate some advice if that's okay.

I'm quite keen on my fitness and have a multi-gym (purchased from Argos): Men's health 66Kg home multi-gym.

I'm also a first time buyer and have just recently moved house.

However, I'm understandably a little bit more cautious about causing any potential damage to my own property. I was intending on building the multi-gym in an upstairs spare bedroom to create a small gym/work-out area.

However, does anyone know if it's safe to house a home multi-gym upstairs? It might sound like a bit of a silly question, but I don't want to risk causing damage to the upstairs flooring or downstairs roof (as it is quite a heavy piece of kit).

Does anyone know if it's structurally safe to build a multi-gym upstairs?
Do any of you currently have/use a home multi-gym upstairs and have not had any issues with doing this?

Thanks for your advice.

Comments

• custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Shouldn't cause any issues if the floors sound
    However these things are often bought & never used.
    Will you? If so look to second hand. save a fortune.
  • Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We have an upstairs gym in what was a bedroom. Not a multi-gym but fully equipped so treadmill etc. All used regularly for over 5 years and no structural problems.
    Spend less now, work less later.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I used to have a multi-gym in an upstairs bedroom with no problems although height-wise it only just fitted.

Still have it but it's now in an outbuilding with a solid concrete floor which is better for free weights. I certainly wouldn't be using those in an upstairs bedroom.
  • HoneyOnThePavement
    Options
    My sister bought a multy-gym. It's on the third floor now - no problems but for the sound.
  • ukjoel
    ukjoel Posts: 1,468 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If your multigym is 66kg as you say then ask yourself the following question.

If a 66kg person went into that bedroom and fell through the floor would they sue the housebuilder?

Yes - they would. Therefore most rooms are designed to handle significantly more weight than that.

I think years ago I had a 150kg system in a loft room with no issues and when I got rid of it for free weights there must have been over 200kg of free weights floating around in the room.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure