Investment seminars

Options
Hello all investment gurus,

I am looking for seminars on investment.
Which one have you attend? Which would you recommend? Which would you not?

Any free ones?
Another night of thankfulness.

Comments

• bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    If it is a paid seminar they are acknowledging that it's more lucrative and less risky to book out a conference room and sell ideas and concepts to newbies, than it is to just sit back and let the investment returns roll in from their foolproof strategy. So, steer clear of those.

If it is a free seminar, they are giving up their time and effort to give you something that on the surface appears free but is designed to compensate them for their efforts by enabling them to sell something to the seminar-goers, which is usually the whole point of running a free seminar - it's a marketing show. So, steer clear of those.

You would be better to read around places such as financial blogs and discussion forums like this one, and supplement that knowledge with a few books.

Far better than going to a seminar where some guy impresses and bamboozles you with lots of upwards-pointing charts and says that you too can replicate his success if you buy this book, that video, a trading plan, a bottle of snake oil, all available at a discount for today only. And maybe some shares in an unregulated collective investment scheme or "free credit to get you started" on a trading platform.
  • ricky_v
    ricky_v Posts: 330 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks to this forum, I've booked onto https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/managing-my-investments

I wouldn't bother paying massive amounts for a course. Paying ££££ to do an investment course cannot guarantee returns.
  • bostonerimus
    bostonerimus Posts: 5,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    bowlhead99 wrote: »
    If
    You would be better to read around places such as financial blogs and discussion forums like this one, and supplement that knowledge with a few books.

Yes I agree. A great free resource is the bogleheads wiki. It is from an American perspective but principles are universal.

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • elephantrosie
    elephantrosie Posts: 467 Forumite
    Options
    i am looking to attend seminars, not just to learn the tips and tricks, but also to network.

so free seminars are good. any to recommend? the only one i know is buy2let.
  • elephantrosie
    Options
    i actually saw an online investment seminar that says 'money back guarantee' ...

!!!!
  • elephantrosie
    Options
    ricky_v wrote: »
    Thanks to this forum, I've booked onto https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/managing-my-investments

I wouldn't bother paying massive amounts for a course. Paying ££££ to do an investment course cannot guarantee returns.

signed up. thanks. anymore recommendations?
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,469 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    signed up. thanks. anymore recommendations?

I would warn against the risk of absorbing too many ideas at an early stage in your investing 'career'.

Without meaning to be a cheeky git, you are asking a lot of questions about investing and while that's a good thing and very positive for your future wealth. Be wary of 'seminars'. As others have pointed out, they will all have an agenda or need to make money, remember the adage about free lunches ;)

Also, unless you have millions to invest, I cannot for the life of me see the advantage of 'networking' at these sorts of events - you will be surrounded by people chasing fads with no more information than you already have...

It is possible to make good returns from investing with a basic understanding of risk, portfolio construction, attention to costs and diversification (many of these overlap). Unless you want to be the next hedge fund wizard, it's worth asking yourself whether you need *great* returns, or whether good with minimal effort will do fine :)
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    i am looking to attend seminars, not just to learn the tips and tricks, but also to network.

so free seminars are good. any to recommend? the only one i know is buy2let.
    ---
    I am constantly dreaming of retirement and financial independence.
    I would like to have enough money to open an animal farm and a charity vegetarian restaurant.
    I am good with savings, but not investments. I am a keen learner, but can be disappointed by my laziness.
    unless you have millions to invest, I cannot for the life of me see the advantage of 'networking' at these sorts of events - you will be surrounded by people chasing fads with no more information than you already have...
    I agree on the networking point.

The people who go to free or paid 'what is investing' seminars as audience members are not going to be able to teach you how to invest and get an extra few percent on your return at low risk.

The people who go to free 'buy2let' seminars run by property investment agents will include a large proportion of fellow newbie suckers to whom the agents are trying to palm off their properties or make money off referrals.

You are not going to meet an experienced Goldman Sachs financier who is going to say, "great to hear that you dream of financial independence and are keen on learning about investments despite being disappointingly lazy sometimes, I was wondeing if you would mind if I gave you £100k to help you get your charity vegetarian restaurant off the ground?"
  • chockydavid1983
    Options
    https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/managing-my-investments
    I did this before starting out so can recommend

Also, before that I did this one too:
    https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/managing-my-money
  • sorcerer
    sorcerer Posts: 878 Forumite
    Options
    I really wouldn't waste you time with "networking" either. At the end of the day nobody has a clue what will do well in the future. You would probably find people telling you how well they have done with stock a. But they won't talking about stock b that lost them lots of money.

And all the basics can be learnt easily on line for free.

I would also says their is no such thing as an "Expert", if somebody was an expert in investing they would be worth trillions of pounds. Even so called experts make mistakes. After 20 years of investing I only listen to myself and look at the facts. Because I have found when listening to experts are always seem to lose money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure