Tax Rebate - Payable Order Sent To Bank

I got a letter from Hmrc last week saying I'm due a refund from overpayment in 2016/2017. The letter says a payable order has been made to my bank account which they will receive within 14 days of the letter, the letter is dated 2 May 2017. I have never had this before and have a couple of questions;

1. Hmrc have advised me it can take upto 3 weeks, has anyone else had this occur with them and how long did it actually take?

It's now the 19th of May and nothing showing in my bank as of yet. Does anyone have any experience of this? Thank you in advance

Comments

• alexsjh
    alexsjh Posts: 3 Newbie
    I filled in an online application for a tax rebate via GOV.uk website on the 30th April 2017 included my bank details and requested the payment to be a BACs payment (BACs payment was ignored by HMRC). On the 10th of May a letter was issued and posted to my home address which was stating how much I will get. On the 11th a payment was issued and sent to my bank . HMRC stated via the telephone number 03453003900 that it would take 2 weeks from the issue date. Annoyingly it was not a BACs payment it was issued by a Payable Order (cheque) this was sent to Santander's cheque clearing office. I received the letter which was sent on 10th on the 17th and the payable order which was issued and sent to my bank on the 11th was applied to my account via Bootle which must be the clearing office on a Saturday which was the 20th. This is showing on my bank account as uncleared funds which I presume will clear on Wednesday as it is essentially a cheque. But according to my bank it could take upto Thursday or Friday to be available. When I called HMRC they stated that each bank has a specific clearing office that they send payable orders too. I hope this helps with time scales which happened to me.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Hello Sandy.
    Have you realised that you have started an identical thread, identical in every respect, to your friend Soloman1?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure