P2P lending question

Hi all

Just something that came into my head, and not sure if this is the right place - I'm sure it is.

Does anybody know of a site here you can lend money out at a rate that you determine? Reason being, say I wanted to lend money to a friend officially but only charge a small nominal interest rate (or even none at all). I know some of the p2p lenders have certain rates, but I am thinking more of being able to choose who you lend to and at what rate.

I'm not sure if this would allow you to get around the need for a credit licence so probably not, but would be good to know if there was one.

Thanks

Comments

• If its a friend, why pay the middleman to set it up? Just write an agreement between the two of you.
  • secretdebt
    secretdebt Posts: 72 Forumite
    Thanks - Agreed, and I understand that point.

But...Specifically I am asking if there is a place? There is no friend in reality. Say I wanted to lend somebody some money out of the kindness of my heart.

Again, the situation is hypothetical, but I more wondered if there is a site/product available that would mean that one person wouldn't need to go get a credit licence to lend their money out at a low/none interest rate.

I know that people wouldn't, and I certainly wouldn't of course. But...is the option out there.
  • JohnRo
    JohnRo Posts: 2,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Have you considered contacting your local credit union?
    'We don't need to be smarter than the rest; we need to be more disciplined than the rest.' - WB
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    secretdebt wrote: »
    Thanks - Agreed, and I understand that point.

But...Specifically I am asking if there is a place? There is no friend in reality. Say I wanted to lend somebody some money out of the kindness of my heart.

Again, the situation is hypothetical, but I more wondered if there is a site/product available that would mean that one person wouldn't need to go get a credit licence to lend their money out at a low/none interest rate.

I know that people wouldn't, and I certainly wouldn't of course. But...is the option out there.

Not aware of such a site, many p2p lenders have specific loans to individual companies rather than the pooled options of the larger providers like Zopa and Ratesetter.

You can also get a simple contract set up for a loan between individuals, stating terms, repayments, security etc either from templates or going to a solicitor.
  • Gambler101
    Gambler101 Posts: 580 Forumite
    If family or friends ask for financial assistance, and you want to help think of it as a gift, as its often not repaid.

This way it doesnt break the relationship.

If you are not happy to gift the amount, don't lend it, let them go to a proper lender.
    The instructions on the box said 'Requires Windows 7 or better'. So I installed LINUX :D:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure