PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

O/S Daily Friday 19 May 2017

Options
nmlc
nmlc Posts: 4,788 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 19 May 2017 at 6:29AM in Old style MoneySaving
O/S Daily Friday 19 May 2017

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Nelski - thinking of you and your family x

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Light here but wet underfoot again as it started raining last night around 6pm and has rained on and off ever since, it had dried up quite well, but now there is laying water everywhere again, and today doesn't look that promising either. I did manage to get 3 x loads of washing dry on the line yesterday before the weather turned, I did use the TD but only for bits that I knew I couldn't get dry on the line, also changed our bed, bed linen needs to be washed, may leave that until tomorrow and see if I can get it line dried.

Dinner last night was roasted chicken portions, HM dauphnoise (sp?) potato, carrots and broc, the last of the victoria sponge for those that wanted some. Tonight will be HM lasagne, chips and salad.

I did manage to get some housework done yesterday, washing was continous, as I'd left it early in the week thinking the weather would be better and I could get it line dried - but that didn't work! I will continue with the washing and I'll use the TD as I can't be doing with wet/damp washing hanging about the house. This morning I'll be food shopping first thing, then home to put it away, I have to go to the farm shop also but that's just up the road for me, I will get the ironing done and I'd like to get some cooking done also, so lots to do, I'll just potter along and get done what I can, I won't be worrying to much if things don't get done, I could do more tomorrow, DH is working tomorrow morning but I'm not so have a free morning.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB

Comments

• dumpling
    dumpling Posts: 2,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Good morning everyone :hello:

Thank you nmlc for starting us off. It's a bright and sunny morning here and I got to hear the dawn chorus as well. I've reduced my medication a bit and so I have to try a bit harder to sleep. I had a toothache last night so was up until the wee small hours and only had a couple of hours rest but I will catch up at some point today I am sure.

DD14 has had a relatively peaceful couple of days and has an appointment this afternoon with her new nurse. Her usual nurse is away on leave for a few weeks so this one is just checking in with DD14 to see how she is doing. Next week is filling up with appointments as well as she is seeing her therapist and her psychiatrist along with her nurse too. I cannot fault the care the NHS has shown DD14, everyone we have been in contact with has been lovely, helpful and caring.

Hubby is on a half day today so will be bringing home some fish and chips for lunch. I am happy because I don't have to cook tonight and the girls won't have as much washing up so it's a win win. The grandchildren are sleeping here tonight as well. I am really looking forward to seeing them.

The washing and drying is up to date, my airing cupboard is full of towels for now and I don't have to prepare an evening meal. All I have to do is tidy up a bit and push the hoover round. Easy peasy!

Hope you all have a great day whatever you are up to, take care xxx
  • TravellingAbuela
    TravellingAbuela Posts: 6,676 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning folks. A bit of a damp start for us - it looks as though we had light overnight rain. Unexpected as we had the most glorious of sunsets and golden sky, after a lovely day yesterday.

Another quick one off me. The 3 DGDs to get up shortly, then feed, water and take to school. Then whizz off for Mr TA's 2nd of his 4 hospital appointments. This time for the Dupuyten's contracture of his hands. He has had both hands operated on in the past but his left one is now badly curved over again. They don't think a second op will be successful so will see what the big man says this morning. At worst it may result in having the affected fingers off.

The Friday morning clean round will have to be postponed till after lunch and what's the betting it won't get done this afternoon either. I feel I CBA even thinking about it.

Have a good day all and thinking of NELSKI and family and all the other poorlies. Take care xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • ancientofdays
    ancientofdays Posts: 2,913 Forumite
    Options
    Morning everyone. I'm off to the dentist quite soon, not really looking forward to it! This is for a crown fitting. Two temporary covers have dropped out, one in 8 hours and the second in a day and a half and I haven't gone back for a third, I have just eaten on the other side. It will cost an arm and a leg as the dentist surgery is entirely private now. I have gone to the same surgery for over 30 years and am wary of changing.

House is a bit of a tip so will crack on with that later.

Washing dried yesterday, OH got it back in before the heavens opened. We had a massive downpour and a damp evening. Doesn't look promising outside right now but I must get the rest of the washing done.

Thinking of you and your family Nelski
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Hard_Up_Hester Posts: 4,656 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all
    Thanks for the thread nmlc, hugs to Nelski and anyone else in need.
    Stuff was listed on ebay yesterday, DD1 took all the gardening tools and some other stuff. She has a people carrier and folded the seats down and the car was rammed, the cd's that Music Magpie didn't want and 2 vases went to a CS.
    It's DD2's birthday today, I will drop her card off when I collect DGD.
    Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all

Damp and raining here again off to work for me but its Friday :j and I have the weekend off.

Tonight will start with a takeaway and wine :beer: I am always shattered on a Friday and this is our treat.

Tomorrow is a busy one, Evie has her haircut in the morning and them a local dogs home / charity is having a yard sale which looks promising and then in the afternoon I have to go and collect my ebay lamp, so lots to do tomorrow.

Its been very chilly here the last couple of days and if its the same tonight I think we will light the fire just to take the edge off.

Nels thinking of you xx

Have good days all xx
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning everyone,

(hugs) to those that need one, and a special one for Nelski and her family.

Today I need to go up to the town first thing and go to the bank and get some veg and salad bits, then I want to start having a sort through my big wardrobe/cupboard. I was trying to find something in there yesterday and most of the contents of the shelf fell out. I need a new black everyday handbag and I don’t want to buy one as I’m sure that there is one in that cupboard somewhere!

I defrosted a chicken portion to have with salad and new potatoes for dinner today and will probably defrost a crumble for pudding if I want one.

If it dries up later this afternoon I want to go for a walk around the park.

I hope that you all have as good a day as possible. Take care x
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Morning all :wave:

Thank you again everyone for your thoughts and hugs you don't know how important they have been in maintaining my sanity in a very mad situation.

Been up since 6 as usual but can't get on with my shower until my lovely brother decides to get up as the pump is really loud. He is going to have to get up soon though as I have a doctors appt I have to go to this morning so really need to get ready. They will be taking my blood pressure today and I dread to think what that is going to be at the moment.

Agree with what a lot of you said about leaving the decisions as to what to do with his clothes for now although I have made a note of your suggestions too. I love comps thanks you for the teddy bear idea I called my dad my big bear so that would be very fitting.

Still waiting.
    My brother is wanting to go back to Paris now as he has plans at the weekend but I really hope he decides to stay at least until Dad decides to go. I don't think we have have long now his breathing was very different yesterday and very raspy which I know is a sign.

Karcher thank you ...you make an excellent point that we are in a weird way fortunate in that we are have had plenty of opportunity to say goodbye. I hadn't really thought of it like that. :A Having said that I have said my goodbyes now and I wish he would stop fighting and go to sleep.

So groundhog day starts again and I can just hope today is his time and he can finally get some peace.

Thank you again everyone you really are helping me so much at the moment. :A
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Morning all,

Nelski Many hugs to you. Another sign the end is near. White almost translucent patches of skin on the highest parts of the body. In Mom's case it was the tips of her nose and ears. Your dear Dad is in control now. My Mom waited for my brother to go home and me to get there. I don't know if it is a comfort to me. She would protect him in life and it seemed in death.

Looks like the beginning of another sunny day here in Devon. Yesterday we went to Woolacombe and Lynmouth. Hubby wanted to go on the cliff railway in Lynmouth. It was lovely but 'Blackun' wasn't keen. I had to pick her up on the return journey as no way did she want to get in voluntarily.

Quiet day today our last day. Might pop into Bude later. We will see.

Onwards and forwards

Have a great day all
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Good Morning chums, bit overcast here at the moment but I hope it will brighten up later Absolutely bucketed down yesterday and the gardens got a good soaking ,the farmers locally will be pleased as the ground has been rock hard and cracking lately.
    History this afternoon, and we are discussing the history of prisons and the penal colonies.
    45 poppies knitted so far in 10 days,only another 55 to go :) then it will be a morning of sewing them all up and fixing the buttons on.

They are going to the local Royal Engineers museum as they are trying to raise 5000 for an exhibition in October, so I promised them a 100 :):)Makes a changed from my charity blankets and its all in a good cause.

DGS Henry is doing his Spanish GCSE this morning so I will bake him some small cakes to take with me after History as a treat.He actually is pretty good at spanish ,just lacks confidence in the oral exam as he is very shy.
    Fingers crossed for all those youngsters who are working on their exams at the moment I sometimes think we never give them enough of a pat on the back as they do put the effort in.Henry has been doing after school extra revision for all of his subjects voluntarily as he is keen to do as well as his two older brothers.His next sibling up Jack seems to sail through without hardly trying at all,he is a very bright lad, and our Henry bless him is the one who makes all the effort :).Mikey, the youngest, just floats through life and never frets about anything :) Still its been good to see how well they have all approached their school work.It helps a little that eagle-eyed Granny (me :)) has been on the case :):):)

Nelski I hope you can find time to think of yourself and be kind to yourself ,good memories of your dad will always stay with you no matter what. I am thinking of you and wish you all peace

Right time to get a wriggle on,
    take care all, and be nice to each other today,try smiling at a stranger and big smile and a good morning or hello could make all the difference to someone

Cheers chums

JackieO xx
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone, thanks to nmlc and hugs to anyone that needs or wants one. A special one for Nelski and her family.
    Another lovely day here though forecast to break later. I got the weedkiller down yesterday just need to work now:).
    Much confusion this morning when both my Tesco order and one from Wilko arrived at the same time:eek: more or less sorted out now. I'm looking forward to trying out my new garden rocking chair later:).
    My younger son will be home at some point this evening so lasagne and garlic bread I think as I have both ragu and white sauce in the freezer so easy to put together.

I hope everyone has a good day x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport