Windows 7 dissimilar hardware

Hi,

I'm looking if anyone knows of any software ( preferably free ) that lets you clone windows 7 to dissimilar hardware?

Whilst this may sound iffy its for a specific purpose using a volume licence for 48 hours max.

Main problem is different chipset, usb3 support and SSD from IDE and usb2.

If anyone can offer an alternative I would be grateful, trying to avoid building a windows deployment server.

Cheers.

Comments

• unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Sysprep from Microsoft. Already part of the os.
  • John_Gray
    John_Gray Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Have a careful look at the features of the variants of Macrium Reflect, but you might need the Business version (not even the paid-for Home version) for what you want to do...
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    See my thread on cloning a RAID to a single disk and also to a VM.

Finally got it to work in a VM. SO my old setup with all the software versions that i prefer are still intact. Just run the VM on the new machine.

Hardware went from a 12 year old dual core CPU to a Ryzen 8 core, USB 3 etc etc...

When i first launched it the USB didnt work, but after a couple of restarts it sorted itself out and installed the drivers and is now all good.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• unforeseen wrote: »
    Sysprep from Microsoft. Already part of the os.

Sysprep wont cover the USB3 issue I'm afraid.

Cheers.
  • See my thread on cloning a RAID to a single disk and also to a VM.

Finally got it to work in a VM. SO my old setup with all the software versions that i prefer are still intact. Just run the VM on the new machine.

Hardware went from a 12 year old dual core CPU to a Ryzen 8 core, USB 3 etc etc...

When i first launched it the USB didnt work, but after a couple of restarts it sorted itself out and installed the drivers and is now all good.

need to get it from a dual core HP8000 to a HPi7 physical machine ( well bout 80 ). USB3 is the first main stumbling block even with injected drivers.

This is for a disaster recovery project and the DR company just changed all their kit and told us to make an image, including all our complex software so it would fit their new kit. Unrealistic within my timescales.

Any help welcome.
  • were
    were Posts: 632 Forumite
    edited 19 May 2017 at 11:11AM
    think the storagrcraft dvd has usb3 drivers. the problem areas are also vga adapter, Change the initail adapter back yo generic vga, and the nic too. Sata/ide/scsi can be problem too

The other way is to install the same windows x onto the new hardware and after extract all the drivers with associated files. ou may need TBOSDT from http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/howto/howto-drvins-tbosdt-dos.htm

My recommendation i to read forgotmyname's post. With hindsight there are bits I would have changed or emphasised more
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure