New boiler installation quotes

Morning All,

We recently moved into our new house and are looking into upgrading the central heating system into something a tad more efficient and modern. Currently installed is an old Potterton Profile 100e boiler on a traditional gravity system with old fashioned imperial measurement single radiators and 8mm microbore pipework. I've already had most of the rads off the wall and flushed them out whilst updating the valves and cleaned out the expansion tank of about 20 years of black crud, however we would like to upgrade the system..

We've had a couple of local heating engineers around for quotes to upgrade our system either

A)keeping the system as a standard low pressure, but converting to a fully pumped setup and a new condensing boiler (A rated) or

B)to a fully pumped sealed high pressure system, getting rid of the roof tanks but still having a unvented hot water cylinder. (The house is a 4 bed, 1 bathroom, 1 ensuite but we plan to extend and add one more ensuite in the future as well).

The first quotes back look like

A)
To drain central heating system
Disconnect and remove existing boiler/flue
Supply/fit Worcester Greenstar 24 boiler/flue
upgrade existing 15mm gas service pipe from meter to boiler to 22mm
fit Worcester filter on return pipework
convert to fully pump
connect boiler condense pipe to adjacent drain
replace existing hot water cylinder/immersion heater/stat
fit Honeywell 3 way valve and 7 day programmer, cylinder stat and room thermostat
fit new circulating pump and isolating valves
powerflush
make appropriate electrical connections
test/commission and notify building authority of installation
add inhibitor

£3495.00 labour/materials/VAT

B)Same as above except includes
install 150L indirect unvented hot water unit including discharge and safety controls (instead of standard hot water cylinder mentioned above)
disconnect and remove roof tanks/pipework

£3850.00 labour/materials/VAT

He figures 2-4 days to either choice. He is an independent local contractor found via checkatrade, with good reviews.

We are in Hampshire so obviously it will be more expensive than up north, but the quotes don't seem too excessive. We are currently awaiting further quotes to arrive, but wanted opinion if this is a fair benchmark.

Comments

• ukjoel
    ukjoel Posts: 1,468 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Worth having a look at the link below which is £1600.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Worcester-Greenstar-24-RI-ERP-Heat-Only-flue-supplied-and-installed-/170924807488?hash=item27cbe99540:g:XBUAAOSw3ydVyQsY

Same model you mention although appreciate its not like for like.
    Its hampshire based has excellent feedback on ebay (which I trust slightly more than trusted trader or buy with confidence as they only hand out forms to happy customers).

I have used similar companies before and they tend to focus on supply and fit, and have always arrived early and finished the same day with no stress.
  • southcoastrgi
    southcoastrgi Posts: 6,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    So 2 things I've noticed straight away.

A. The boiler he wants to fit is 4kw less than the one you already have, so not only might it not be big enough for your existing house but it's not allowing anything for you to expand your home in the future.

B. A 150 ltrs unvented cylinder isn't big enough, I would go for either 210 or 250 ltrs.
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
  • sm82
    sm82 Posts: 40 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ACtually the boiler I thought we had I don't! Going on the label which when the one guy took the front off the boiler to check we found actually had 2 different labels on. But the marking on the inside of the boiler indicate a 60e not a 100 or a 50 (which were the two labels)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure