What should a complete investment novice do?

Options
Dear wise people

I'm a long time lurker on this thread, but am still baffled (and slightly terrified!) by much of the terminology - I have zero experience with investments, and would welcome some easy-to-understand advice from you.

I have two current account regular saver accounts which mature at the end of June, which will give me around £7,000. I would like to invest this in a S&S ISA, as a way of dipping my toes into the stock market and assumed that the safest and easiest way to do this would be to open an HSBC World Selection ISA as they are my main bank.

However not many of you seem to talk about having a S&S ISA through a high street bank as they are too expensive or don't perform as well. Would I be being ridiculously naive to go down this route? Is there a better option for me? I know £7K is a tiny amount, but I'm pleased to have managed to save this over the past 12 months and would like to put it somewhere where it can continue to work for me.

I've already filled up the high (ha!) interest accounts from the likes of Tesco, Club Lloyds, Nationwide, TSB and get the Halifax and Coop Rewards so there's no space for the money there.

What would you suggest, please?

Comments

• droopsnoot
    droopsnoot Posts: 1,758 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don't know HSBC, but I opened my S&S ISA many years ago at the Nationwide. The problem I have run into is that the selection of funds available there is very limited, so virtually none of the funds that people talk about on here or elsewhere are available.

As well as the costs, this is something worth considering. £7 may be a "tiny amount" compared to some, but there's an argument that the costs would therefore be of more significance to you, rather than less.
  • keyboardworrier
    Options
    My advice would be to go for the cheapest platform and appropriate fund possible, there's no point paying extra just to stick with a brand you're familiar with IMO
  • Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    http://monevator.com/compare-uk-cheapest-online-brokers/ also lets you compare brokers.

Incidentally, the moneywise link xylophone gave has wrong information about Iweb in its comparison table at £45 per year with 4 transactions (it's actually £20 after the first year, and nothing after the first year excluding transactions)
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
  • C_J
    C_J Posts: 3,040 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank you, I'll have a read through all that tonight.

How do the fees work, then? Do they deduct their percentage or flat fees from my investment at the start, or from any increase I've earned (each month? at the end of the year?). If I set up a standing order for a set amount to be invested each month, will I be charged a transaction fee for every deposit?
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I would not use a high street bank. Generally they are pretty expensive and under perform and have a very limited choice of funds.

Diy investors have to choose an appropriate platform to invest from and then decide which type of assets to invest in. Which one you go for depends on how much you are investing and whether you prefer percentage based one to flat fee. I use Halifax Sharedealing.

A few golden rules of investing I follow but I am no expert as I only started 3 years ago.

We never invest anything we think we may need in the next 5-10 years.

We keep a large cash buffer so we are not forced to take money out of our portfolios if we need to buy a new car, holiday etc.

We diversify across geographical areas, sectors and types of assets. The more diversified your portfolio the less risk of you losing anything.

We invest in the Vanguard Lifestrategy funds which are popular on here and one of the most popular funds sold in the UK. You can choose different levels of risk according to the ratio of fixed investments to equities and they are funds of funds so very well diversified. Low charges too and most platforms sell them.

The more you read about them the more confident you will get. You can either put your £7k in as a lump sum or drip feed money in monthly.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would not use a high street bank.
    I use Halifax Sharedealing.
    Which is an online broking arm of a high street bank - Lloyds Banking Group.

It's a good choice, although I prefer Iweb - another trading name of the same company, with different fees.

But don't go in branch and expect to get the same inexpensive service.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
  • bostonerimus
    bostonerimus Posts: 5,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 17 May 2017 at 5:11PM
    Options
    Here's what I do

1) Spend less than you make (ie Mr Mcawber had it right) and do a detailed budget to track spending
    2) Save 6 months spending to an emergency cash account
    3) Max out your workplace pension, LISA, SIPP etc
    4) Buy low cost diversified investment funds like Vanguard LifeStrategy or an asset allocation with index funds and rebalance
    5) Avoid individual shares and actively managed funds, they are expensive and often risky.
    6) Avoid high interest debt, pay off the credit card in full each month
    7) Try to save 20% of your gross salary, hard I know but start with something and work your way up
    8) Maximize ISA then go onto regular investing accounts...still only using low cost index funds
    9) Be cynical about advice and educate yourself, read the bogleheads.org wiki
    10) Don't fret about performance.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • StellaN
    StellaN Posts: 354 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    HSBC do have some decent funds though both passive and active.

As well as the HSBC World Section they also have the HSBC Global Strategy funds (3 risk levels) and these are low cost multi asset funds similar to VLS and L&G funds but lower in UK allocation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure