Redundancy Issues

Options
I was informed in writing in March that my role was redundant. I have not been given Notice.

I had a further meeting last Month to try and decide if there was a suitable alternative. It was left that my boss would get back to me. He hasn't.

However someone at work has changed her hours and I will now be covering her absence in my normal shifts, until I go at least.

I asked my boss for a further meeting to clarify my redundancy as the 30 days consultation has expired and 2 weeks on I have heard nothing. I have been an employee for over 20 years.

I'm not sure what I can do ? Am I redundant or not ? Is there a way I can force a decision to be made either way? It's such poor handling but typical of my work !

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Consultation can continue untill they make up their minds there is no time limit.

Until they put you on notice you still have the job.

You could start looking but risk losing the redundancy pay if you find something might be best to prepare and use the 12 weeks notice to go actively looking.
  • Mrs_Optimist
    Mrs_Optimist Posts: 1,107 Forumite
    Options
    I now have another meeting next week. Does the consultation have to restart because nothing has happened since my last meeting at the beginning of April? Over 30 days ago?

I suspect they will offer me a junior role involving a pay cut, but the reality would be that my workload will remain entirely unchanged, the only difference will be I am paid less money. What recourse do I have if this is the case ?
  • Mrs_Optimist
    Mrs_Optimist Posts: 1,107 Forumite
    Options
    UPDATE

I have finally been told my role is redundant and been given written confirmation!

Such a relief. Now daunted but excited about entering the job hunting market again and dealing with agencies.

I was reading about serving counter-notice as my boss did indicate that they may withdraw the notice within the 12 week period if they can find a suitable alternative (it is a budget and workload issue causing the redundancy). Now I have my notice I don't want them to backtrack. I'm in no rush to find another job, thankfully. Is it worth serving counter-notice just to agree my last working day? To prevent this happening? I don't need to gave another job to do that do I?
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    UPDATE

I have finally been told my role is redundant and been given written confirmation!

Such a relief. Now daunted but excited about entering the job hunting market again and dealing with agencies.

I was reading about serving counter-notice as my boss did indicate that they may withdraw the notice within the 12 week period if they can find a suitable alternative (it is a budget and workload issue causing the redundancy). Now I have my notice I don't want them to backtrack. I'm in no rush to find another job, thankfully. Is it worth serving counter-notice just to agree my last working day? To prevent this happening? I don't need to gave another job to do that do I?
    Yes, you do need to have another job. If you want to do what you are suggesting, it's called resigning, not redundancy. You must understand that the employers legal duty is to not make people redundant if there is any possible way to avoid it. And that is what they will do. So if they find got a suitable alternative job, you must take it or lose the redundancy. Unless you have another job AND can legally serve counter notice. It does have strict rules as to when it can be served.
  • Takeaway_Addict
    Takeaway_Addict Posts: 6,538 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I was informed in writing in March that my role was redundant. I have not been given Notice.

I had a further meeting last Month to try and decide if there was a suitable alternative. It was left that my boss would get back to me. He hasn't.

However someone at work has changed her hours and I will now be covering her absence in my normal shifts, until I go at least.

I asked my boss for a further meeting to clarify my redundancy as the 30 days consultation has expired and 2 weeks on I have heard nothing. I have been an employee for over 20 years.

I'm not sure what I can do ? Am I redundant or not ? Is there a way I can force a decision to be made either way? It's such poor handling but typical of my work !
    And yet you lasted 20 years.....can't be that poor.
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure