Question for the hi fi buffs.. upgrade or not ?

Howdy !
I'm gonna be moving into my new flat in a couple of weeks .
Love my music . As I am starting all over again ,and trying to keep tidy for the rest of my days I'm in a bit of a dilemma .

I'm having difficulty finding a decent hi fi cupboard that would look really good in the living room. I'm also going to be living on the ground floor flat for the first time instead of first floor maisonettes .

While technology is getting better , seperates are supposed to sound better according to the hifi mags over the years .
But Bluetooth came aong ..

What I was thinking of buying ( yes I know it's mse) :
A rurark audio radiogram . Looks good , supposed to sound the nuts and doesn't take up much space .
System I have : Cambridge audio amp a5?/ nackamichi 5 cd multiplayer / b&w bookshelf speakers / pink triangle turntable / qed79 strand cable . I'll keep the turntable :)
Was thinking of replacing bookshelf speakers for floorstanders.
I don't know :)
Your thoughts ?
Thanks

Comments

• I_have_spoken
    I_have_spoken Posts: 5,051 Forumite
    Budget and preferred style of music?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,089 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    If I had the money I'd definitely get the ruark r7 they look great and sounds great, but don't be tempted to stick your telly on top!
  • another_casualty
    another_casualty Posts: 6,506 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Budget and preferred style of music?

The Roark is top of the budget£2k+ .

I don't know if music reflects my personality but i lack middle ground :rotfl: one minute it's rammstein , slayer and rush..then it could be tangerine dream or jean michel jarre Pete namlook Joe satriani UFO scorpions Judas Priest
    and some Neil,young or druggie Rolling Stones if I have people round
  • another_casualty
    the_r_sole wrote: »
    If I had the money I'd definitely get the ruark r7 they look great and sounds great, but don't be tempted to stick your telly on top!

Thanks .:)
    I only have a 32" to/ DVD combo . Was thinking about it, but reviews say no .
  • Icecannon
    Icecannon Posts: 93 Forumite
    I think floorstanders would be to much for a flat, and also the fact you seem to want to keep things minimal, small floorstanders wouldn't be any better than bookshelves.

unless you are spending a lot, a decent pair of book shelf speakers would be more than enough for music.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Look at your sources, you can get better quality than CD, and if you rip all your CD you can free up their space and the CD player
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    My son has a Ruark, it's all wood and the sound is amazing. I am still almost mesmerised by it's sleek look when I see it. It would definitely be my choice.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My son has a Ruark, it's all wood and the sound is amazing. I am still almost mesmerised by it's sleek look when I see it. It would definitely be my choice.

I've never heard one but it looks horrible to me.
  • another_casualty
    Look at your sources, you can get better quality than CD, and if you rip all your CD you can free up their space and the CD player

Good point :)
    Tbh i do downloads anyway, but still buy the occasional cd.
    I still like having a hard copy :)
  • another_casualty
    So i'm looking at hifi units. Which incorporate tv , and it is a bit of a minefield . The best I saw that suits my requiremrnts, comes from richer sounds of all places. Cost?..£999! This would mean i keep my seperates unit and everything is in one place as neat and tidy as you expect .

However, for £2k,there is the ruark. Mmmmm
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport