Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jeanzbeanz
    • By jeanzbeanz 21st Apr 17, 11:49 AM
    • 51Posts
    • 45Thanks
    jeanzbeanz
    Royal Mail redirection - is it worth it?
    • 21st Apr 17, 11:49 AM
    Royal Mail redirection - is it worth it? 21st Apr 17 at 11:49 AM
    We're hoping to move house in 10 days (although not exchanged on the new place yet eeeeeek) and I'm wondering whether to sign up for the RM redirection service or not.

I have made a pretty comprehensive list (I think) of organisations to contact once we have exchanged on the new place, to update our address. We get very little other mail, in fact the majority would be junk mail which isn't addressed to us anyway......

Has anyone else used this service recently? What's your verdict? **stressing**
Page 3
    • custardy
    • By custardy 27th Feb 18, 12:28 PM
    • 33,872 Posts
    • 28,739 Thanks
    custardy
    The Mr and Mrs scenario would mostly apply to Christmas cards and wedding invitations, I assume. Royal Mail (RM) can only redirect according to the names (or whole household - if you select this when you apply - after the household members have given you consent), they cannot possibly be expected to go by current social etiquette. (Pick Mr over Mrs, or vice versa)

you can often have financial type letters coming to mr& mrs

As for the variations of the first name. e.g. Robert and Bob, Susan and Sue. Oh heck, why don't I mention Rita too, RM are already on to this. On the redirect application (I started the online one - you can save it and go back and complete it) it asks you

and yet many folks dont include them. Take this from experience of complaints.

I reckon, if your name is Bob Smith and there is/was also a Bryan Smith in your household, you shouldn't tick that option, as Bryan Smith clearly wouldn't (unless he's given consent) want post addressed to him (as B Smith) being redirected to you.
    Originally posted by OceanSound

you seem to have all the answers.
    so what is it you need to know?
    • OceanSound
    • By OceanSound 28th Feb 18, 6:06 AM
    • 310 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    OceanSound
    you seem to have all the answers.
    Originally posted by custardy
    you can often have financial type letters coming to mr& mrs
    If I didn't know that you can have financial type letters come to mr and mrs smith, then clearly I didn't have all the answers.
    ...and yet many folks dont include them. Take this from experience of complaints."
    Not every issue can be pinned to folks not accepting the variation of name option. e.g. the example from my initial post is testament. In that case there were multiple issues that continued over a period of time, resulting in common sense and understanding going out of the window. It took someone like a consumer champion to bring some clear, level-headed sense in to the dispute.

I've already told you in Post #39.

How do some letters slip through the net and end up at the old address?, is it human error? How many letters end up at the old address (or worse)?
    I think you only replied to/defended the "Is it human error" part and how letters slip through the net part (somewhat explained but not very clear).
    Last edited by OceanSound; 28-02-2018 at 6:09 AM.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 28th Feb 18, 6:11 AM
    • 33,872 Posts
    • 28,739 Thanks
    custardy
    If I didn't know that you can have financial type letters come to mr and mrs smith, then clearly I didn't have all the answers.

Not every issue can be pinned to folks not accepting the variation of name option. e.g. the example from my initial post is testament. In that case there were multiple issues that continued over a period of time, resulting in common sense and understanding going out of the window. It took someone like a consumer champion to bring some clear, level-headed sense in to the dispute.

I've already told you in Post #39.

I think you only replied to/defended the "Is it human error" part and how letters slip through the net part (somewhat explained but not very clear).

Well no offence,but do you really want me to list every possible scenario plus all the ones I know?
    Im not sure what you think will change by knowing this.
    I focused on ones the customer may have input to.
    • OceanSound
    • By OceanSound 28th Feb 18, 6:37 AM
    • 310 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    OceanSound
    Well no offence,but do you really want me to list every possible scenario plus all the ones I know?
    Im not sure what you think will change by knowing this.
    I focused on ones the customer may have input to.

We seem to be talking past each other. Please read the post carefully. the missing answer is:

How many letters end up at the old address (or worse)?
    rather than obsessing too much (by way of talk) with change and performance. Perhaps RM should collect some figures and plug the gaps.

Their 2016-17 annual report says this:

As a result of a range of initiatives, we reduced the
    number of complaints in key categories like misdeliveries and redirections.
    What were these initiatives? (is this just corporate-speak that's made it in to the annual report?)

Redirections are clearly a problem as they receive many complaints. How about we have some figures so we can keep track.
    • bowlhead99
    • By bowlhead99 28th Feb 18, 7:03 AM
    • 8,167 Posts
    • 14,926 Thanks
    bowlhead99
    How many letters end up at the old address (or worse)?
    rather than obsessing too much (by way of talk) with change and performance. Perhaps RM should collect some figures and plug the gaps.
    If the figures which they have probably collected show that there are significant gaps in the service, how would you propose they plug the gaps? Perhaps by focussing on making changes and improving performance? No system is infallible. Doesn't seem they are focusing on the wrong thing if they are making incremental improvements to what they have.

As a result of a range of initiatives, we reduced the
    number of complaints in key categories like misdeliveries and redirections.
    What were these initiatives? (is this just corporate-speak that's made it in to the annual report?)
    When you are writing a report to your investors about your performance, you might like to tell them that the complaints of misdeliveries and redirections are down following a range of initiatives you implemented which improved things for the customers. However, to fully detail the minutiae of every project that you put in place, in an organisation employing 160,000 people, seems like it might be overkill. The report is already 155 pages long as it is.

Redirections are clearly a problem as they receive many complaints. How about we have some figures so we can keep track.
    Why do you need to keep track? Have you been appointed the new head of Ofcom?
    • custardy
    • By custardy 28th Feb 18, 7:03 AM
    • 33,872 Posts
    • 28,739 Thanks
    custardy
    We seem to be talking past each other. Please read the post carefully. the missing answer is:

Their 2016-17 annual report says this:

That was a serious question to quantify how many letters fail redirection. You were serious?
    How would you obtain such a figure?

Why would expect RM to publish data about internal changes?
    There have been swathes of changes as I alluded to earlier. A key change in the last few years is the focus on customer complaints as a whole.
    so of course this will impact changes to complaints.
    misdeliveries will always (IMO) be a big hitter
    • OceanSound
    • By OceanSound 6th Mar 18, 4:23 AM
    • 310 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    OceanSound
    Couldn't help noticing ROyal mail in the news today (about stopping scam letters).

However, staff were trained to spot potential scam letters, and a series of new initiatives - including an industry-wide code of practice - have been launched since 2016.
    There's that word again. At least now they've named the initiatives (that can be named). e.g. staff were trained. Other initiatives cannot be named due to security reasons I guess.

Notice they've said:

The service said it faced difficulties owing to the law which made it an offence to open postal items to look at the contents. Once envelopes were sealed, neither Royal Mail nor the intermediary companies delivering the mail to Royal Mail for final delivery were permitted to open them and assess the content...
    Didn't seem to have a problem with this (opening peoples mail) before. Or eating other peoples wedding cake sent through the post, for that matter.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 6th Mar 18, 7:28 AM
    • 33,872 Posts
    • 28,739 Thanks
    custardy
    Couldn't help noticing ROyal mail in the news today (about stopping scam letters).

There's that word again. At least now they've named the initiatives (that can be named). e.g. staff were trained. Other initiatives cannot be named due to security reasons I guess.

Notice they've said:

Didn't seem to have a problem with this (opening peoples mail) before. Or eating other peoples wedding cake sent through the post, for that matter.
    Not really sure what your point is?
    • OceanSound
    • By OceanSound 17th Jul 18, 3:14 PM
    • 310 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    OceanSound
    I signed-up for the ROyal Mail redirection end of March. It's been going well, except the odd letter slipping through the net and still being delivered to the old address and 1 letter to a family member arriving at my new address.

However, lately there's been a flurry of letters that have arrived at the old address. Contacted ROyal Mail support via email yesterday. Not yet received a reply.

Should I call them?

The email acknowledgement said it can take up to 10 days for them to get back to me. In the meantime, I'm worried that more letters will end up at the old address. My elderly parents (with their best intentions) try to forward anything to me, but I've found that some have just been misplaced in the house or been disposed of thinking it was junk mail.
    • sal_III
    • By sal_III 17th Jul 18, 3:27 PM
    • 576 Posts
    • 561 Thanks
    sal_III
    For how long did you pay for the redirection, could it be 3 months?

Why didn't you take care of changing your address in the last 3+ months? An occasional odd loyalty card or whatever still using the old address is normal, but after 3 months you should have change the correspondence address fro all monthly and e-monthly communications to your new address, how did it end up in a flurry of mail to the old?
    • OceanSound
    • By OceanSound 17th Jul 18, 4:10 PM
    • 310 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    OceanSound
    For how long did you pay for the redirection, could it be 3 months?

Why didn't you take care of changing your address in the last 3+ months? An occasional odd loyalty card or whatever still using the old address is normal, but after 3 months you should have change the correspondence address fro all monthly and e-monthly communications to your new address, how did it end up in a flurry of mail to the old?
    Originally posted by sal_III
    I signed up for the 12 month service. I've no idea as to how come there was a flurry to the old address.

edit: I may be going back to old address in 12 months or before, so don't want to keep changing address with all the senders.
    BTW, I received some redirected mail at the new redirected address today, so, the redirect is still active, but prone to 'blips'.
    Last edited by OceanSound; 17-07-2018 at 5:04 PM.
    • Clutterfree
    • By Clutterfree 17th Jul 18, 6:42 PM
    • 3,514 Posts
    • 19,113 Thanks
    Clutterfree
    I signed up for the 12 month service. I've no idea as to how come there was a flurry to the old address.

edit: I may be going back to old address in 12 months or before, so don't want to keep changing address with all the senders.
    BTW, I received some redirected mail at the new redirected address today, so, the redirect is still active, but prone to 'blips'.
    This happened to us.
    Turned out that the regular postie was on holiday and their cover didn't bother to check if any redirects were in place.
    I rang the local sorting office so that it was rectified immediately.
    Ageing is a privilege not everyone gets
    • catkins
    • By catkins 19th Jul 18, 1:55 PM
    • 5,539 Posts
    • 11,819 Thanks
    catkins
    I signed up for 12 month redirection 6 months ago. It seems to be ok but we were living in a rented property before and I know the landlord wouldn't bother to send any post on so can't be sure we are getting everything.

We did get an item of post addressed to, we assume, the new tenant. His name is nothing at all like our surname. So that's a bit worrying
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
    • OceanSound
    • By OceanSound 29th Jul 18, 9:09 AM
    • 310 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    OceanSound
    This happened to us.
    Turned out that the regular postie was on holiday and their cover didn't bother to check if any redirects were in place.
    Originally posted by Clutterfree
    You have to wonder the sort of service they must be running! All it would take is for a manager/supervisor to instruct the cover to ensure the redirects are checked properly (Guess Royal Mail works harder spewing out glossy brochures with corporate lingo than doing the basics properly).
    • custardy
    • By custardy 29th Jul 18, 9:19 AM
    • 33,872 Posts
    • 28,739 Thanks
    custardy
    You have to wonder the sort of service they must be running! All it would take is for a manager/supervisor to instruct the cover to ensure the redirects are checked properly (Guess Royal Mail works harder spewing out glossy brochures with corporate lingo than doing the basics properly).
    Why would they need to instruct them? Pretty much every duty in an RM office with have redirections.
    • OceanSound
    • By OceanSound 29th Jul 18, 9:22 AM
    • 310 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    OceanSound
    Royal Mail redirection - is it worth it?
    I'm really starting to wonder if it's worth it!. Yet again, I've received a family member's letter and she has received my letters (at old address).

To be honest, I've seen quite a bit of deterioration in Royal Mailís service. Sometimes I send letters using signed-for/'track' feature and I'm not able to see the tracking. (They are probably not scanned properly at each station)

You have to wonder, we pay first world prices for a service and they still fail to deliver. I've seen much more efficient service in third world country postal services!
    • OceanSound
    • By OceanSound 29th Jul 18, 9:25 AM
    • 310 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    OceanSound
    Why would they need to instruct them? Pretty much every duty in an RM office with have redirections.
    I would say that if someone is not capable of doing something properly, they would need to be instructed on how to do it properly.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 29th Jul 18, 10:22 AM
    • 33,872 Posts
    • 28,739 Thanks
    custardy
    I would say that if someone is not capable of doing something properly, they would need to be instructed on how to do it properly.
    alright numbnuts wind your neck in.
    They have staff doing their job including redirections.
    Unless an issue flags up,they arent going round them every day

I'm really starting to wonder if it's worth it!. Yet again, I've received a family member's letter and she has received my letters (at old address).

To be honest, I've seen quite a bit of deterioration in Royal Mail!!!8217;s service. Sometimes I send letters using signed-for/'track' feature and I'm not able to see the tracking. (They are probably not scanned properly at each station)

You have to wonder, we pay first world prices for a service and they still fail to deliver. I've seen much more efficient service in third world country postal services!
    Each station?
    • AnnieP6
    • By AnnieP6 9th Aug 18, 4:29 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    AnnieP6
    We are about to sign up for mail redirection but notice that they want originals of bank statements/credit card statements, etc, for ID purposes.
    We do not have any as we always opt for the paperless option.
    Is this demand just a bit antiquated these days?
    Last edited by AnnieP6; 09-08-2018 at 4:30 PM. Reason: Punctuation
    • custardy
    • By custardy 9th Aug 18, 4:46 PM
    • 33,872 Posts
    • 28,739 Thanks
    custardy
    We are about to sign up for mail redirection but notice that they want originals of bank statements/credit card statements, etc, for ID purposes.
    We do not have any as we always opt for the paperless option.
    Is this demand just a bit antiquated these days?
    Originally posted by AnnieP6
    Did you set up online?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

318Posts Today

4,124Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin