Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jeanzbeanz
    • By jeanzbeanz 21st Apr 17, 11:49 AM
    • 51Posts
    • 44Thanks
    jeanzbeanz
    Royal Mail redirection - is it worth it?
    • 21st Apr 17, 11:49 AM
    Royal Mail redirection - is it worth it? 21st Apr 17 at 11:49 AM
    We're hoping to move house in 10 days (although not exchanged on the new place yet eeeeeek) and I'm wondering whether to sign up for the RM redirection service or not.

I have made a pretty comprehensive list (I think) of organisations to contact once we have exchanged on the new place, to update our address. We get very little other mail, in fact the majority would be junk mail which isn't addressed to us anyway......

Has anyone else used this service recently? What's your verdict? **stressing**
Page 3
    • custardy
    • By custardy 27th Feb 18, 12:28 PM
    • 33,448 Posts
    • 28,350 Thanks
    custardy
    The Mr and Mrs scenario would mostly apply to Christmas cards and wedding invitations, I assume. Royal Mail (RM) can only redirect according to the names (or whole household - if you select this when you apply - after the household members have given you consent), they cannot possibly be expected to go by current social etiquette. (Pick Mr over Mrs, or vice versa)

you can often have financial type letters coming to mr& mrs

As for the variations of the first name. e.g. Robert and Bob, Susan and Sue. Oh heck, why don't I mention Rita too, RM are already on to this. On the redirect application (I started the online one - you can save it and go back and complete it) it asks you

and yet many folks dont include them. Take this from experience of complaints.

I reckon, if your name is Bob Smith and there is/was also a Bryan Smith in your household, you shouldn't tick that option, as Bryan Smith clearly wouldn't (unless he's given consent) want post addressed to him (as B Smith) being redirected to you.
    Originally posted by OceanSound

you seem to have all the answers.
    so what is it you need to know?
    • OceanSound
    • By OceanSound 28th Feb 18, 6:06 AM
    • 154 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    OceanSound
    you seem to have all the answers.
    Originally posted by custardy
    you can often have financial type letters coming to mr& mrs
    If I didn't know that you can have financial type letters come to mr and mrs smith, then clearly I didn't have all the answers.
    ...and yet many folks dont include them. Take this from experience of complaints."
    Not every issue can be pinned to folks not accepting the variation of name option. e.g. the example from my initial post is testament. In that case there were multiple issues that continued over a period of time, resulting in common sense and understanding going out of the window. It took someone like a consumer champion to bring some clear, level-headed sense in to the dispute.

I've already told you in Post #39.

How do some letters slip through the net and end up at the old address?, is it human error? How many letters end up at the old address (or worse)?
    I think you only replied to/defended the "Is it human error" part and how letters slip through the net part (somewhat explained but not very clear).
    Last edited by OceanSound; 28-02-2018 at 6:09 AM.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 28th Feb 18, 6:11 AM
    • 33,448 Posts
    • 28,350 Thanks
    custardy
    If I didn't know that you can have financial type letters come to mr and mrs smith, then clearly I didn't have all the answers.

Not every issue can be pinned to folks not accepting the variation of name option. e.g. the example from my initial post is testament. In that case there were multiple issues that continued over a period of time, resulting in common sense and understanding going out of the window. It took someone like a consumer champion to bring some clear, level-headed sense in to the dispute.

I've already told you in Post #39.

I think you only replied to/defended the "Is it human error" part and how letters slip through the net part (somewhat explained but not very clear).

Well no offence,but do you really want me to list every possible scenario plus all the ones I know?
    Im not sure what you think will change by knowing this.
    I focused on ones the customer may have input to.
    • OceanSound
    • By OceanSound 28th Feb 18, 6:37 AM
    • 154 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    OceanSound
    Well no offence,but do you really want me to list every possible scenario plus all the ones I know?
    Im not sure what you think will change by knowing this.
    I focused on ones the customer may have input to.
    Originally posted by custardy

We seem to be talking past each other. Please read the post carefully. the missing answer is:

How many letters end up at the old address (or worse)?
    rather than obsessing too much (by way of talk) with change and performance. Perhaps RM should collect some figures and plug the gaps.

Their 2016-17 annual report says this:

As a result of a range of initiatives, we reduced the
    number of complaints in key categories like misdeliveries and redirections.
    What were these initiatives? (is this just corporate-speak that's made it in to the annual report?)

Redirections are clearly a problem as they receive many complaints. How about we have some figures so we can keep track.
    • bowlhead99
    • By bowlhead99 28th Feb 18, 7:03 AM
    • 7,825 Posts
    • 14,292 Thanks
    bowlhead99
    How many letters end up at the old address (or worse)?
    rather than obsessing too much (by way of talk) with change and performance. Perhaps RM should collect some figures and plug the gaps.
    If the figures which they have probably collected show that there are significant gaps in the service, how would you propose they plug the gaps? Perhaps by focussing on making changes and improving performance? No system is infallible. Doesn't seem they are focusing on the wrong thing if they are making incremental improvements to what they have.

As a result of a range of initiatives, we reduced the
    number of complaints in key categories like misdeliveries and redirections.
    What were these initiatives? (is this just corporate-speak that's made it in to the annual report?)
    When you are writing a report to your investors about your performance, you might like to tell them that the complaints of misdeliveries and redirections are down following a range of initiatives you implemented which improved things for the customers. However, to fully detail the minutiae of every project that you put in place, in an organisation employing 160,000 people, seems like it might be overkill. The report is already 155 pages long as it is.

Redirections are clearly a problem as they receive many complaints. How about we have some figures so we can keep track.
    Why do you need to keep track? Have you been appointed the new head of Ofcom?
    • custardy
    • By custardy 28th Feb 18, 7:03 AM
    • 33,448 Posts
    • 28,350 Thanks
    custardy
    We seem to be talking past each other. Please read the post carefully. the missing answer is:

Their 2016-17 annual report says this:

That was a serious question to quantify how many letters fail redirection. You were serious?
    How would you obtain such a figure?

Why would expect RM to publish data about internal changes?
    There have been swathes of changes as I alluded to earlier. A key change in the last few years is the focus on customer complaints as a whole.
    so of course this will impact changes to complaints.
    misdeliveries will always (IMO) be a big hitter
    • OceanSound
    • By OceanSound 6th Mar 18, 4:23 AM
    • 154 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    OceanSound
    Couldn't help noticing ROyal mail in the news today (about stopping scam letters).

However, staff were trained to spot potential scam letters, and a series of new initiatives - including an industry-wide code of practice - have been launched since 2016.
    There's that word again. At least now they've named the initiatives (that can be named). e.g. staff were trained. Other initiatives cannot be named due to security reasons I guess.

Notice they've said:

The service said it faced difficulties owing to the law which made it an offence to open postal items to look at the contents. Once envelopes were sealed, neither Royal Mail nor the intermediary companies delivering the mail to Royal Mail for final delivery were permitted to open them and assess the content...
    Didn't seem to have a problem with this (opening peoples mail) before. Or eating other peoples wedding cake sent through the post, for that matter.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 6th Mar 18, 7:28 AM
    • 33,448 Posts
    • 28,350 Thanks
    custardy
    Couldn't help noticing ROyal mail in the news today (about stopping scam letters).

There's that word again. At least now they've named the initiatives (that can be named). e.g. staff were trained. Other initiatives cannot be named due to security reasons I guess.

Notice they've said:

Didn't seem to have a problem with this (opening peoples mail) before. Or eating other peoples wedding cake sent through the post, for that matter.
    Not really sure what your point is?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

86Posts Today

2,288Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin