Recaliming PPI on Hire Purchase from 2002

Options
Hi,

This is my first post here and I feel a bit of a 'leecher' as I'm coming straight in with questions and little or nothing to offer this group. I apologise for this and I will try to share my experiences as I gain some!

Back in 2002, I bought a used car on HP from a Vauxhall main dealer called Marshalls who are still trading. I remembered the dealer sold me PPI with this from 'Saint Andrews', which was a fee of about £2000 bundled onto the loan. I did not need this as my employer gave 6 months full + 6 months half pay in the event of illness, but the salesman convinced my then young and naieve self that it was a good idea to have it.

I did not have any documents and could not remember many details other than my address at the time, and the registration number of the car which the HP+PPI related to, but decided to have a go at claiming using this site's 'Resolver' tool. I soon got a letter back from Bank of Scotland which included a loan account number, proving they still have my records. However a few days later I received another letter stating that they did not sell me the PPI, but rather the dealer did, and included a form to fill in and send to Marhsalls.

I'm not sure whether they are just trying to fob me off, and whether I will just end up in a game of Ping-Pong between Bank of Scotland and Marshalls.

Should I send the form to Marshalls, or send a SAR request first so they don't accidentally 'lose' my records.

Should I also send a SAR request to Bank of Scotland to get full details of the account, the amount of PPI etc?

Or should I just employ a claims handling firm and take the 30% +VAT hit?

Is there any chance of success anyway, as I read in other posts on this forum that car stealers are not covered by the same rules as banks.

Thanks for reading this, I will be grateful for any response.

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,385 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    However a few days later I received another letter stating that they did not sell me the PPI, but rather the dealer did, and included a form to fill in and send to Marhsalls.
    That is correct. Clearly the car dealer sold it.
    I'm not sure whether they are just trying to fob me off, and whether I will just end up in a game of Ping-Pong between Bank of Scotland and Marshalls.

No, they are not fobbing you off. Putting it another way it is like complaining to Tesco about something you bought at ASDA.
    Should I also send a SAR request to Bank of Scotland to get full details of the account, the amount of PPI etc?

That would be a waste of £10.
    Should I send the form to Marshalls, or send a SAR request first so they don't accidentally 'lose' my records.

Car dealers did not become regulated until January 2005. So, they do not need to consider complaints about sales made prior to that date. So, whilst they are the ones you should be complaining to, it wont do you any good as they would have to volunteer to agree to consider a pre-regulation sale. Car dealers are not known for doing that.
    Or should I just employ a claims handling firm and take the 30% +VAT hit?

30% plus VAT on £0 is £0. A claims company cannot change the law.

Is there any chance of success anyway, as I read in other posts on this forum that car stealers are not covered by the same rules as banks.

Banks had earlier schemes in place and the regulation of insurance in 2005 was a continuation for them. Car dealers were never regulated under any previous schemes. That is why there is this difference.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • teapots_2
    Options
    Thanks for the very detailed reply. You seem to confirm what I suspected, that the chances of a successful reclaim in my case are almost zero.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure