Help with small new business

Good morning guys need some help setting up a small business sole trader at Home dog grooming would like to have a website but don't want costs running out of control just to get my business out there in the local and surrounding areas I have advertised with local advertisements but was wondering if any of you guys can give any tips on how to set up a website and get my name out there to drum up some more business any advice or tips would be brilliant and I would appreciate any help for any links that are provided thank you for your time

Comments

• phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I have been in business nearly 15 years now. Had a website for 12 years. I keep statistics of where all of my job leads come from and as a result I can honestly say that the number of leads that I have had as a result of my website is: ZERO.

Would I have one again if just starting out? No.

You will be better exploiting social media. Set up a Business page on Facebook. Set up a pinterest page with lots of pics of dogs, dog homes, dog outfits etc. The same for Instagram. If you have Twitter, then tweet about your new business! Remember social media is the first time in the history of marketing that your product or service can be pushed into someone handbag, table or pocket, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. If you don't have a social media presence you will struggle in business. I am quite convinced that in 10 years, the businesses that don't use social media wont exists!!

Additionally, get a free listing on yell.com. Check with your local council to see if they have a website promoting local businesses.

Also try and get involved with local business networking. People buy from People! It is a way to actually speak to people about your business and build up relationships. Speak with ancillary companies like dog walkers and pet sitters and offer them a referral fee if they push clients to you (and reciprocate).

Good luck
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • lovinituk
    lovinituk Posts: 5,711 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    For your line of business social media is far better to start out with than a website. I wouldn't worry about a website for now.
  • sjbrun
    sjbrun Posts: 470 Forumite
    From your post you may need to proof read what you write if you are going to do your own promotion. You didn't use any full stops and had various typos. Just be careful how you come across when promoting yourself with a website or social media.
  • jobdone1
    jobdone1 Posts: 841 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Sorry was using phone text speak
  • fishybusiness
    fishybusiness Posts: 1,263 Forumite
    If you don't have a social media presence you will struggle in business.

Bit OTT??

We started about a year ago, have social media, website, parish mags and leaflets.

Social media got us competing with the bottom end of the market, we are all but done with it. We get much better clients by picking our postcodes and leafleting, plus parish magazines.

Website, we pick up the odd bit of work through the website, and have recently agreed a really good job that came via our website.

Worth mentioning that adverts either leaflets or magazines that have a website reference are useful - potential clients see the ad and go off to the website to look for more info.
  • fishybusiness
    edited 22 April 2017 at 10:23PM
    Yep, SEO is the clever bit.

But.....you mention a website being a static advert, I see it differently, I see it as a part of an advertising process, which changes as a business grows and changes.

It compliments leaflets and adverts elsewhere, and can be as dynamic or as static as the owner wishes.

Think about leaflets, 2% to 5% takeup, anyone remotely interested will have a look at the website if it is up and running - and so a way to display your skills - much like a shop front.

Doesn't have to be well SEO'd as a start up, more a compliment to other ads.

Also, I find some potential clients use the contact page to get in touch rather than calling the number in the ads seen elsewhere.

Plenty of businesses don't have a website, plenty do, I'm just pointing out some of the postives that were rather glossed over earlier in the thread.
  • eset12345
    eset12345 Posts: 643 Forumite
    phill99 wrote: »
    I have been in business nearly 15 years now. Had a website for 12 years. I keep statistics of where all of my job leads come from and as a result I can honestly say that the number of leads that I have had as a result of my website is: ZERO.

Would I have one again if just starting out? No.

You will be better exploiting social media. Set up a Business page on Facebook. Set up a pinterest page with lots of pics of dogs, dog homes, dog outfits etc. The same for Instagram. If you have Twitter, then tweet about your new business! Remember social media is the first time in the history of marketing that your product or service can be pushed into someone handbag, table or pocket, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. If you don't have a social media presence you will struggle in business. I am quite convinced that in 10 years, the businesses that don't use social media wont exists!!

Additionally, get a free listing on yell.com. Check with your local council to see if they have a website promoting local businesses.

Also try and get involved with local business networking. People buy from People! It is a way to actually speak to people about your business and build up relationships. Speak with ancillary companies like dog walkers and pet sitters and offer them a referral fee if they push clients to you (and reciprocate).

Good luck

why would anyone NOT have a website in this day and age? it literally costs under a tenner a year to have one.

give you something to put on business cards and other literature, even in newspaper ads of you still live in the 1990's

I cant think of a single reason not to have a website for a dog grooming business, if only for a place where people can get further information if they see you going around in your car / van with the site address on, get a couple of large car magnet things printed and you literally have a local advert out there 24/7

to be honest, I wouldn't even waste my time on such a business if they didn't have a website, even a basic one that shows their types of services and their prices, like i'll be wasting my time phoning up to check to see what they do and what it costs, i'll just go to one of the many others that have made getting this information easy.
  • fishybusiness
    Only reason I can think of not to have a website is if the target market doesn't tend to use the web.
  • lovinituk
    lovinituk Posts: 5,711 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    eset12345 wrote: »
    why would anyone NOT have a website in this day and age? it literally costs under a tenner a year to have one.

give you something to put on business cards and other literature, even in newspaper ads of you still live in the 1990's

I cant think of a single reason not to have a website for a dog grooming business, if only for a place where people can get further information if they see you going around in your car / van with the site address on, get a couple of large car magnet things printed and you literally have a local advert out there 24/7

to be honest, I wouldn't even waste my time on such a business if they didn't have a website, even a basic one that shows their types of services and their prices, like i'll be wasting my time phoning up to check to see what they do and what it costs, i'll just go to one of the many others that have made getting this information easy.
    It doesn't have to be a standalone website though. Buy a domain name and forward it to the businesses Facebook page.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure