IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Gladstones - Court Claim Form & defence

Options
Hello
Firstly, I have read the sticky and I hope that by posting this thread I’m not contravening the rules or spirit of the board – if I am, huge apologies and I’ll stop straight away!

I have been served with a Court Claim Form relating to Gladstones Solicitors and compiled, with the help of lots of templates and the contents of this board, a defence. I’d just be enormously grateful if somebody who knows what they’re looking at could take a quick look and advise.
In essence, I was lost early evening, turned into a car park (office site) to find my way on a phone based map, and then returned to the road around 2-3 minutes later. Seems it was caught on camera I received no initial letter from the company re this or anything about contravening their parking policy (I wasn't parked, in my view) I did receive a Letter before Claim from Gladstones about somebody elses vehicle, unknown to me - I wrote to them and said was nothing to do with me (not my car). Then I received another re my car, I wrote and asked for more info, explained that I’d not had any original letter & could they provide the detail. They sent pics of my car, indistinguishable driver, over a 3 minute period. I wrote again, said I accepted no responsibility, asked for detail and received nothing, then the Court Doc arrived. My defence is the letter below, plus my correspondence with them and a photo of the largely illegible sign at the site. I have 8 days left of the 28 day period having acknowledged on moneycaim but provided no defence as yet.
Any advice gratefully received. Thank you

(Begins)
I am XXXXXXXXXXX, the defendant in this matter and registered keeper of vehicle XXXXX. I currently reside at XXXXXXXXXXXXX.

I deny I am liable for the entirety of the claim for each and every one of the following reasons:

1/ This Claimant has not complied with pre-court protocol:

(a) There was no compliant ‘Letter before County Court Claim’, under the Practice Direction, despite the Defendant's requests for this and further information.

(b) The defendant did not receive any letter requesting payment from the claimant. No letter was received, either, from the claimant’s legal representative, despite informing them (claimant’s legal representative) that no letter had been received.

(c) This is a speculative serial litigant, issuing a large number of identical 'draft particulars'. The badly mail-merged documents contain very little information. The covering letter merely contains a supposed PCN number with no contravention nor photographs.

(d) The claimant’s legal representative sent an erroneous Letter Before Claim, demanding payment relating to another vehicle, not known to the defendant, prior to the defendant subsequently receiving a Letter Before Claim regarding their vehicle. This was not acknowledged despite the defendant seeking further information.

2/ The Claim form Particulars were extremely sparse and divulged no cause of action nor sufficient detail. The Defendant has little idea what the claim is about - why the charge arose, what the alleged contract was; nothing that could be considered a fair exchange of information.

3/ The Defendant put the Claimant to strict proof that it issued a compliant notice under Schedule 4 of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012. Absent such a notice served within 14 days of the parking event and with fully compliant statutory wording, this Claimant is unable to hold me liable under the strict ‘keeper liability’ provisions.

4/ Inadequate signs incapable of binding the driver - this distinguishes this case from the Beavis case:
(a) Lack of site/entrance signage - breach of the POFA 2012 Schedule 4 and the BPA Code of Practice and no contract formed to pay any clearly stated sum.
(b) The signage was not lit and any terms were not transparent or legible; this is an unfair contract, not agreed by the driver and contrary to the UTCCRs (as applicable at the time).
(c) No promise was made by the driver that could constitute consideration because there was no offer known nor accepted. No consideration flowed from the Claimant.
(d) Absent the elements of a contract, there can be no breach of contract.

5/ BPA CoP breaches - this distinguishes this case from the Beavis case:
(a) the signs were not compliant in terms of the font size, lighting or positioning.
(b) sum pursued exceeds £100.

6/ No standing - this distinguishes this case from the Beavis case:
It is unclear whether UK Parking Management & Enforcement hold a legitimate contract at this car park. As an agent, the Claimant has no legal right to bring such a claim in their name which should be in the name of the landowner.

7/ The Beavis case confirmed the fact that, if it is a matter of trespass (not breach of any contract), a parking firm has no standing as a non-landowner to pursue even nominal damages.

8/ The charge is an unenforceable penalty based upon a lack of commercial justification. The Beavis case confirmed that the penalty rule is certainly engaged in any case of a private parking charge and was only disengaged due to the unique circumstances of that case, which do not resemble this claim.

9/ The claimant has added unrecoverable sums to the original parking charge. If Mr XXXXXXX (claimants legal representative who signed the form) is an employee then the Defendant suggests he is remunerated and the particulars of claim are templates, so it is not credible that £50 legal costs were incurred. The defendant denies the Claimant is entitled to any interest whatsoever.

The Defendant denies any liability whatsoever to the Claimant in any matter and asks the Court to note that the Claimant has:
(a)Issued an erroneous claim to the defendant regarding an unknown vehicle, rendering their administration questionable
(b) Failed to disclose any cause of action in the Claim Form issued on xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(c) failed to respond to a letter from the Defendant dated xxxxxxx requesting further information and details of the claim and subsequently a second letter dated xxxxxxxxxxxx

The vague Particulars of Claim disclose no clear cause of action. The court is invited to strike out the claim of its own volition as having no merit and no reasonable prospects of success.

I believe the facts contained in this Defence Statement are true.

xxxxxxxx

(Ends)

Comments

• Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,231 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 April 2017 at 2:24PM
    Options
    Did you give away the driver's identity in your original correspondence?

Your reply is probably OK as far as responding to s LBCCC, but far too short and lacking in detail as a court defence.

Have you acknowledged the claim with the court, or is this a response to a LBC/LBA/LBCCC?

The parking company is an IPC member, not BPA member, so reference to the BPA CoP is irrelevant.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • simonsam1964
    Options
    Hi. Thanks for the response - extremely helpful. I didn't give away the drivers identity, nor did I admit anything. The detail I have for the defence, beyond the letter you've seen, are my letters to them, their replies (and the erroneous letter) along with a photo of the sign in the car park
  • simonsam1964
    Options
    Sorry - too quick on the button - Yes, I have acknowledged the Claim with the Court but not posted a defence as yet.
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,231 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi. Thanks for the response - extremely helpful. I didn't give away the drivers identity, nor did I admit anything. The detail I have for the defence, beyond the letter you've seen, are my letters to them, their replies (and the erroneous letter) along with a photo of the sign in the car park

OK, that's all good so far, but are you still at the LBC stage or have you had real court papers or MCOL? This is most important for the regulars to understand where you are in the process.

For court, there is a lot of information in post 2 of the NEWBIES thread, plus a link to a court guide by a poster called bargepole. This tells you what to do, when, and how.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • simonsam1964
    Options
    I have had a Claim Form issued from County Court Business Centre in Northampton (I understand this is the default for online submissions) which I've responded to on moneyclaim.gov.uk

I have spent a while reading Bargepole's replies to similar cases (much of which formed the basis of my proposed response - it's hugely helpful). I was hoping/thinking that what I've got/done so far is in line with Bargepole's advice, but I'm going to go back again and check! This is all extremely helpful for somebody who doesn't do this sort of thing often - so thanks again.
  • Loadsofchildren123
    Options
    Assuming you do have a court claim and this is the defence, my comments are:

3/ I wouldn't put them to proof. You say you didn't receive one, so just say that:
    The Defendant never received any Notice to Keeper from the Claimant. The first communication the Defendant received was a letter dated x. The Defendant puts the Claimant to strict proof that it issued a compliant notice to keeper under Schedule 4 of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012. Absent such a notice served within 14 days of the parking event and with fully compliant statutory wording, this Claimant is unable to hold the Defendantme liable under the strict ‘keeper liability’ provisions of Schedule 4 of POFA.

4/ The Defendant denies that any contract was formed between the driver and the Claimant because of Inadequate signage which was incapable of forming any contract would can have bound the driver - this distinguishes this case from the Beavis case:
    (a) Lack of site/entrance signage - breach of the POFA 2012 Schedule 4 and the BPA Code of Practice and no contract formed to pay any clearly stated sum.
    (b) The signage was not lit and any terms were not transparent or legible;
    (c) any contract which may have been formed is void because its terms are unfair as they were contrary to the UTCCRs (as applicable at the time),
    (d) no terms were agreed by the driver
    (c) No promise was made by the driver that could constitute consideration because there was no offer known nor accepted. No consideration flowed from the Claimant.
    (d) Absent the elements of a contract, there can be no breach of contract.

new 5/ The Defendant further denies that any contract was formed because the driver did not "park" according to the ordinary meaning of that word or according to the definition in POFA [check there is a definition]; the driver merely drove into and out of the site, a period of only 3 minutes passing between the time of entry and the time of exit recorded by the Claimant. The driver cannot therefore have accepted any contractual terms (if any, which is denied) that were offered by the Claimant.

5/ BPA CoP breaches - this distinguishes this case from the Beavis case:
    (a) the signs were not compliant in terms of the font size, lighting or positioning.
    (b) sum pursued exceeds £100.
    (c) you need to add in that the CoP provides for a grace period and on any reasonable interpretation 3 minutes would fall within a grace period

Are you admitting being the driver? In which case you should say that at the start. I think you have a good enough defence not to have to deny being the driver: if you deny driving for the sake of it the court can make a finding that you were driving (eg if you can't show other people on the insurance). Although there is no legal presumption that RK was driving, as PPCs often claim, if it is pretty obvious you were driving the court will make a finding that you were. I always think it's pointless denying or not admitting being the driver where this is the case, and where you have a good defence.

I'd swap around my new 5 and your old 4, my point 5 is a stronger contractual argument and should be your first argument, over and above inadequate signage.

Para 2 - add that this is in direct breach of CPR Rule 16.4 and Practice Direction 7E paragraph 5.2 and, if a contract is relied upon, the absence of the contractual terms is a breach of Practice Direction 16 para 7.3. And put here that the Defendant wrote to the Claimant on x date prior to proceedings being issued to ask it to provide further and appropriate details of the Claim, in compliance with these Rules, and the Claimant ignored that letter in complete defiance of its obligations pursuant to paragraphs 6(a), 6(c) and 12 of the Practice Direction - Pre-Action Conduct.

Have a play around with it and re-post an amended version and I'll have another look at it then. Others will comment too. It's not quite focussed enough at the moment. We will help, don't worry.
    Although a practising Solicitor, my posts here are NOT legal advice, but are personal opinion based on limited facts provided anonymously by forum users. I accept no liability for the accuracy of any such posts and users are advised that, if they wish to obtain formal legal advice specific to their case, they must seek instruct and pay a solicitor.
  • simonsam1964
    Options
    Blimey - thank you so much! I'm about leave for work so I'll get back onto this later (likely tomorrow morning by the time I've amended as per comments and Bargepole/Newbie sticky 2) but this is tremendous, thank you (I'm saying this too much, aren't I........)
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    It's refreshing to find a newbie willing to grasp the nettle and get stuck into this. Far too often we get posts WITH CAPITAL LETTERS (PANIC PANIC) and lots of !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
  • simonsam1964
    Options
    Hello again.

So, I've taken onboard all the comments and advice, and edited the letter accordingly. Having looked at Bargepole's advice and also at Parking Prankster and others, I'm anxious but determined to see this through. I've searched quite a lot for a clear definition of 'parking' as per Loadsofchildren123's advice but in the absence of anything concrete, I've written whet I hope seems sensible and reasonable about what actually constitutes 'parking' per se. Anyhow, the following is where I'm at and, as ever, any comments or advice will be gratefully received (its actually better laid out than it appears as formatting seems to disappear when copying to the board):

(BEGINS)

The Defendant in this matter and registered keeper of vehicle XXXXX is XXXXX and he currently resides at XXXXXXXXXXXXX.

Whilst the Defendant admits that he was the driver of the vehicle XXXXXXX at the time off the particular incident, he denies that he is liable for the entirety of the claim for each and every one of the following reasons:

1/ This Claimant has not complied with pre-court protocol

(a) There was no compliant ‘Letter before County Court Claim’, under the Practice Direction, despite the Defendant's requests for this and further information.

(b) The Defendant did not receive any letter requesting payment from the Claimant. No copy letter was received, either, from the Claimant’s legal representative, despite informing them (Claimant’s legal representative) that no original letter had been received.

(c) This is a speculative serial litigant, issuing a large number of identical 'draft particulars'. The badly mail-merged documents contain very little information. The first-received covering letter merely contains a supposed PCN number with insufficient contravention details, nor any photographs.

(d) The Claimant’s legal representative sent an erroneous Letter Before Claim, demanding payment relating to another vehicle, not known to the defendant, prior to the defendant subsequently receiving a Letter Before Claim regarding their vehicle. This was not acknowledged despite the defendant seeking further information in writing.

2/ The Claim form particulars were extremely sparse and divulged no cause of action nor sufficient detail.
    The Defendant had little idea what the claim is about - why the charge arose, what the alleged contract was; nothing that could be considered a fair exchange of information. This is in direct breach of CPR Rule 16.4 and Practice Direction 7E paragraph 5.2 and, if a contract is relied upon, the absence of the contractual terms is a breach of Practice Direction 16 para 7.3.
    The Defendant wrote to the Claimant on xxxx prior to proceedings being issued, asking them to provide further and appropriate details of the Claim, in compliance with these Rules, and the Claimant ignored that letter in complete defiance of its obligations pursuant to paragraphs 6(a), 6(c) and 12 of the Practice Direction - Pre-Action Conduct.

3/ The Defendant never received any Notice to Keeper from the Claimant.
    The first communication the Defendant received was a letter dated XXXX from the Claimant’s solicitor. He immediately wrote to the Claimant’s legal representative explaining that no letter had been received but received no copy communication. The Defendant puts the Claimant to strict proof that it issued a compliant notice to keeper under Schedule 4 of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012. Absent such a notice served within 14 days of the parking event and with fully compliant statutory wording, this Claimant is unable to hold the Defendant liable under the strict ‘keeper liability’ provisions of Schedule 4 of POFA.

4/ The Defendant further denies that any contract was formed because the driver did not "park”.
    The Defendant denies that he parked according to the commonly understood meaning of that word and according to common understanding within POFA; the driver merely drove into of the site when he had lost his way, checked written directions for a short period (only 3 minutes according to the time of alleged parking recorded by the Claimant) then left. The driver cannot therefore have accepted any contractual terms (if any, which is denied) that were offered by the Claimant.

5/ The Defendant denies that any contract was formed between the driver and the Claimant.
    The existence of a contract is denied because of inadequate signage; the existing signage was incapable of forming any contract which would have bound the driver - this distinguishes this case from the Beavis case:
    (a) Inadequate of site/entrance signage - breach of the POFA 2012 Schedule 4, and no contract was formed to pay any clearly stated sum.
    (b) The signage was not lit and any terms were not transparent or clearly legible;
    (c) Any contract which may have been formed is void because its terms are unfair as they were contrary to the UTCCRs (as applicable at the time),
    (d) No terms were agreed by the driver
    (e) No promise was made by the driver that could constitute consideration because there was no offer known nor accepted. No consideration flowed from the Claimant.
    (f) The signs were not compliant in terms of the font size, lighting or positioning.
    (g) Sum pursued exceeds £100.

Absent the elements of a contract, there can be no breach of contract.

6/ No standing (this distinguishes this case from the Beavis case)
    It is unclear whether UK Parking Management & Enforcement hold a legitimate contract at this car park. As an agent, the Claimant has no legal right to bring such a claim in their name which should be in the name of the landowner.

The Beavis case confirmed the fact that, if the case concerned is a matter of trespass (not breach of any contract), a parking firm has no standing as a non-landowner to pursue even nominal damages.

The charge is an unenforceable penalty based upon a lack of commercial justification. The Beavis case confirmed that the penalty rule is certainly engaged in any case of a private parking charge and was only disengaged due to the unique circumstances of that case, which do not resemble this claim.

7/ The Claimant has added unrecoverable sums to the original parking charge.
    If Mr XXXXXXX (Claimant’s legal representative, who signed the form) is an employee then the Defendant suggests he is remunerated and the particulars of claim are templates, so it is not credible that £50 legal costs were incurred. The defendant denies the Claimant is entitled to any further payment.

The Defendant denies any liability whatsoever to the Claimant in any matter and asks the Court to note that the Claimant has:

(a)Issued an erroneous claim to the defendant regarding an unknown vehicle, rendering their administration questionable

(b) Failed to disclose any cause of action in the Claim Form issued on xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

(c) failed to respond to a letter from the Defendant dated xxxxxxx requesting further information and details of the claim and subsequently a second letter dated xxxxxxxxxxxx

The vague Particulars of Claim disclose no clear cause of action. The court is invited to strike out the claim of its own volition as having no merit and no reasonable prospects of success.

It is believed the facts contained in this Defence Statement are true.
    In support of these arguments, the defendant has provided the specific correspondence between him and Gladstones Solicitors in chronological order (five items of correspondence). Also supplied is a sample photograph of the signs which are placed occasionally around the site.

(ENDS)
  • Loadsofchildren123
    Options
    I've searched quite a lot for a clear definition of 'parking' as per Loadsofchildren123's advice

I'm sure there was a recent case which defined it (I think the case was someone who'd stopped to unload and the DJ said that wasn't "parking"), albeit only at DJ level (which makes it "persuasive" rather than "binding" on other judges - ie they should pay some attention to it but don't have to follow it). I can't find it in my papers. I have a feeling Parking Prankster blogged it.

One of the regulars will hopefully know.
    Although a practising Solicitor, my posts here are NOT legal advice, but are personal opinion based on limited facts provided anonymously by forum users. I accept no liability for the accuracy of any such posts and users are advised that, if they wish to obtain formal legal advice specific to their case, they must seek instruct and pay a solicitor.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure