PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

HomeBuyers Survey results - what do do?

Options
Hi all,

Currently in the process of purchasing our first home, and we've hit a snag with a few issues that have been raised in our RICS HomeBuyers report.

The report highlighted all the usual items, and included the items which were were expecting to "make good" as part of our offer. When I made the offer (which was later accepted) I put clearly that this was "Subject to satisfactory survey".

So far our progress for purchase is the following:
  • Offer accepted on property (£5,000 under asking since it needs a lot of work!)
  • Mortgage valuation complete and OK
  • Mortgage offer secured
  • Instructed RICS HomeBuyers survey
  • Contract still not received from seller's solicitors

The report has highlighted a potential structural issue with the single-brick walled garage which is attached to the rear of the property (it's leaning to). The report states it could be "progressive" but the owners insist that it's been present since before she moved into the property.

In addition to the above, there was a very high amount of moisture content found on the rear external wall due to a leaking tap and it's connections. Again - the owners were not even "aware" that they had an outdoor tap!

I'm hesitant to provide the report to my Solicitors or to the Estate Agents, since it would potentially reduce any leverage we might have going forward.

So do we:
  1. Instruct building firms/surveyors to provide quotations to "make good" the issues raised?
  2. Go to my solicitors and ask them to negotiate on our behalf (with outcome of 1)
  3. Go to the Estate Agents and only provide them with excerpts from the report pertaining to the big issues above and ask for a reduction? (with outcome of 1)

If anyone has experienced a scenario like this before, I would love to hear your thoughts.

Comments

• robcyb
    robcyb Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    A polite bump on this post, please.

I appreciate that the above is a 'million dollar' question - but would be nice to know if anyone has past experiences when dealing with EA's?

Thanks,

Robert
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you send a copy to your solicitor they might have to inform your mortgage lender. So I wouldn't normally do that.
    If you want to negotiate on price go straight to their Estate Agent.
    If you want some remedial work done do the same. But this is unlikely to happen.

Do you care about the garage?
    Would you still want the house if it had no garage?
    Would it matter if you had to knock it down?
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • robcyb
    Options
    Hi Stator - thanks for the reply.

The garage is attached to the property, so it's something that needs to be remedied either prior to completion or shortly after. Sadly the seller is not in a great financial situation which makes it hard to push them to do the remedial works.

I will attempt negotiations with the EA, but I guess they're going to resist as they're on commission as well.
  • another_casualty
    Options
    What you could do, is phone up the surveyor and have a nice polite chat with him, voicing your concerns . I did this a few weeks ago, when I had an issue and he was great .

You could after that, potentially chat to your estate agent and it could work in your favour . The seller can only say no to a further reduction if you think it merits it . Depends on how much you want it .

Hope it works out :)
  • robcyb
    Options
    Thanks "Another casualty's" for the reply.

Having spoken to the surveyor he believes it's impact damage I.E., a vehicle or something similar has reversed/parked into it. The damage is marked as "progressive" but he said that's a term they use to say it needs fixing quickly.

We've obtained various quotes from different firms and will present these, along with the excerpts from the report to the EA. As you say, worst case the seller could turn down the revised offer.

If, and when a revised offer is accepted do you have to re-apply for mortgages etc.? Or is it a case of working with broker to inform lender change of price?
  • Thanetia
    Thanetia Posts: 62 Forumite
    Options
    As always, look at the valuation that the survey has established - if this equals the sale price then the buyer may not be willing to budge too much. Or they may respond to negotiation. Don't share the full report, be willing to share specific content which backs up any reduced offer you make.

You may need a structual engineers to give you a view on the movement. Lots of good advice above - remember the Agent works for the vendor, not you.....
  • robcyb
    Options
    Thanks Thanetia for the reply.

The surveyor refused to provide a valuation on the proviso that the garage wall was to be inspected by a "reputable" firm and quotations received. Only then would he provide a valuation. I have provided the various quotes received and waiting to hear back from them.

Thanks for all the pointers everyone.
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Hi robcyb
    I would think that you Would have to negotiate with your estate agent
    and your solicitor . Always keep your solicitor informed , and they will guide you .
    Hope that helps :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport