🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Oakley Capital Investments <-- share

Options
This is not one of those too good to be true posts (e.g. 9% guaranteed bonds etc.); just wondered what people think of this share. It currently trades at a 33% discount to NAV as reported in the Finals on the 5th April. Yield of 2.9% plus capital growth seems steady but not spectacular for the last 10 years. Directors have been buying in lately which is always a good sign. I understand the assets to be various investments by a hedge fund so not a load of over-valued legacy plant and machinery or goodwill. What's not to like? Anyone have a view?

Comments

• bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    It's their listed vehicle to invest in their private institutional investment funds. Which are private equity funds rather than hedge. Rule one of investing, know what you're buying; rule two recognise and demand a large discount for illiquidity of the underlying assets. It is never going to tighten to zero discount.

But they are a totally legitimate operation; some of their fund investments have been more successful than others over the years. I have a small holding in a VCT they run which probably won't set the world alight; I've seen some of the reports from their institutional funds across my desk in a professional capacity a few years back. Haven't really evaluated the IT.
  • EdGasket
    EdGasket Posts: 3,503 Forumite
    edited 7 April 2017 at 5:36PM
    Options
    Meant to add the ticker code: OCL

The underlying assets may be illiquid but no problem with buying/selling OCL except the spread can be higher at times e.g. 151.25/155 today.

Thanks for your reply bowlhead99. I believe Simon Thomson in the IC also has them in his portfolio; not that I am a fan of his after the NBU and CAMK debacle!

BTW how does private equity differ from hedge funds; isn't there some overlap?

From Wiki:
    Hedge Fund: hedge fund is an investment fund that pools capital from accredited individuals or institutional investors and invests in a variety of assets, often with complex portfolio-construction and risk-management techniques

Private Equity Fund: A private equity fund is a collective investment scheme used for making investments in various equity (and to a lesser extent debt) securities according to one of the investment strategies associated with private equity.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Only just started paying a dividend. Been on my radar too. Though have other private equity holdings that I've preferred recently.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport