Removing a tile from plasterboard

Options
I need to remove a porcelain tile- size 45 cm x 31.5 cm 10 mm thick, from a plasterboard and plastered stud wall, without damaging plasterboard. Breaking tile not a problem as I have spares. Tiles were done about 2 months ago with tile cement, not ready mixed. Don't want to damage or loosen surrounding tiles or make a lot of dust as grouting and silicone only recently done. Have got to fix a box for towel rail connection. Would very much appreciate any practical ideas.

Comments

• Hasbeen
    Hasbeen Posts: 4,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    GBA43 wrote: »
    I need to remove a porcelain tile- size 45 cm x 31.5 cm 10 mm thick, from a plasterboard and plastered stud wall, without damaging plasterboard. Breaking tile not a problem as I have spares. Tiles were done about 2 months ago with tile cement, not ready mixed. Don't want to damage or loosen surrounding tiles or make a lot of dust as grouting and silicone only recently done. Have got to fix a box for towel rail connection. Would very much appreciate any practical ideas.

Personally my advice is do not! you may be lucky and tile come's off or if it was well fixed it will take most of the plasterboard wall with it.

Then holes to fill etc

What kind of towel rail requires a box behind it? electrical? if so possible to connect from other side??
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • GBA43
    GBA43 Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank you for replying, wasn't expecting an answer so quick. The towel rail is electric and the wire from it has to go into a 'cable outlet 20A terminal block' and this then goes through to connect to a switch on the other side of the wall. (In spare bedroom). If I'm going to make all that mess taking tile off, I'll have to cut a hole to fit the electrical box for cable outlet. The lip round the edge of the box is same size as cable outlet plate. I needed a smaller cutout on the tile so that the plate will cover it. And drilling the tile will be difficult because its porcelain. I'm trying to find the least worst option.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Have you considered drilling a series of holes the same size as the box? That way you'll only be removing the amount of tile and plaster board you need to.
  • GBA43
    Options
    Yes, that was another option I'd thought of, but I had been thinking that I'd try and get the lip of the box behind the tile. I think I might have to have the lip on top of the tile. Also, I think it will be difficult to drill this tile. It being porcelain and 10 mm thick. However, this looks like it might be the only way.
  • Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I know it doesn't help, but it's going to be hard going with those tiles I reckon.
    Surface box and a diamond hole cutter for a tube to take the cable?
  • DREKLY
    DREKLY Posts: 208 Forumite
    Options
    I have also been attempting to remove some large mirror tiles from
    a plasterboard bathroom wall (the silvering has deteriorated)
    with mixed success, they too had been affixed with tile adhesive.

I was able to get a couple of paint scrapers behind the edges, and
    lever enough till the glass shattered bits off, and in most cases it
    only took some of the top paper layer off the plasterboard... !
    But it was a nerve wracking task, with tiny slivers flying off into
    the bath.
    I would think you may have more success if those tiles were only
    recently fitted - Good Luck, and wear glasses :)
    16 x Enhance 250w panels + SolarEdge Inverter + TREES :(
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,365 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Buy yourself a tungsten tipped tile drill, DO NOT USE it on HAMMER and it can be used to drill a series of small holes (chain drill) as suggested above. In order to prevent the drill skidding across the surface of the tile before it "bites" place a piece of masking or insulating tape on the tile.
  • Hasbeen
    Hasbeen Posts: 4,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 5 April 2017 at 10:06AM
    Options
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • GBA43
    Options
    Thanks to all for your advice. I have not got the job done yet. Have been waiting for delivery of towel radiator, which was a bit of a fiasco. Wrong one sent, then the next one leaked fluid. Have now got replacement and am going to drill a hole through the tile and put cable through. Had to wait until I got the rad and thermostat to make sure I get the right size drill bit. Thanks again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure