Was this an attempt to scam by seller?

Options
Just some advice please

I bought a coffee machine BIN from a seller and paid straight away through paypal funded by credit card

About an hour later I receive a message through ebay asking for payment. Looked in paypal and it was showing as pending seller accepting payment.

Get back to seller saying I've paid, you need to accept it.

Seller replies saying they have problem with paypal and ask me to send by bank transfer.

I say no way as no buyer protection but can wait a few days whilst they sort out issues with paypal.

Not long after they reply saying paypal sorted so can I log onto paypal. Do so, same pending status.

I say you need to accept the payment already sent.

Seller says canx this and send payment again

I say can you send an invoice/request for payment through ebay so I can pay linked to the purchase.

They then want to send a request for payment but through paypal which I refuse.

Seller then says they will cancel sale, which they have done and will list again.

I have now cancelled the pending payment I made originally.

It seems to me that the seller was trying to get me to pay without it being linked to an actual ebay sale either as a scam or trying to avoid fees in some way.

Is it worth reporting seller to ebay? They have two pos feedback as a seller. The transaction is no longer in My Ebay so I can't leave feedback.

I've not lost anything so happy to move on but if it is something that ebay need to know about I'm willing to report it. I've looked at the help options and all I end up with is an option to post a message of the community board.

TIA

Comments

• sham63
    sham63 Posts: 1,067 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    No, just sounds like a naive seller who doesn't understand how PayPal works. I've had similar in the past.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,199 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Apart from the bank transfer bit which would have worried me, the rest makes sense. If seller had the wrong PayPal addres then your payment would show as unclaimed and there would be absolutely no way seller could resend an invoice through PayPal with new details, it would just resend the original wrong details.

The usual advice to a seller in this situation would be to send a direct PayPal invoice for the goods, which would have been OK as long as the invoice showed clearly the goods being purchased and even an eBay item number to ensure there was no doubt of what you were paying for should there be a dispute.

Obviously though as you had paid and seller had made a mistake in email address you were not under any obligation to keep trying until seller finally got it sorted.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • MysteryMe
    MysteryMe Posts: 3,052 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    That's interesting thank you. I thought the request for payment would have to come through ebay. I did not know that a paypal request would be acceptable for buyer protection as long as seller entered the purchase details on it.
  • challengedavid
    Options
    could you have asked the seller to add the unclaimed payment email address to their paypal account, have done that myself when i mispelt my email
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    could you have asked the seller to add the unclaimed payment email address to their paypal account, have done that myself when i mispelt my email

Only if the email is capable of being registered - by that I mean something like "ifilledthisinbymistake" couldn't be registered as an email as it is missing vital parts. So in this instance, the payment cannot be claimed by the seller.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure