Switching supplier on estimated readings.

Options
necronaut
necronaut Posts: 27 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
From the day my tenants moved out I didn't visit back to the property until 3 months later when I had a bill from Green Star Energy for £200.

Part of this charge was that their meter readings estimate were excessive (the property was vacant) and partly because they'd gouged me on a £1 a day standing charge.

I rang up but because it was the weekend I submitted my meter readings to an automated service. Then I proceeded to switch to a cheaper supplier.

I waited a few weeks until I got mail that the switch had been blocked. GSE still wanted me to pay £200.

I rang them up and said the meter readings were incorrect and i would struggle to pay the 200. They said I could submit my meter readings again today, but it would be as if i switched today which means it would be another 20 days of standing charge!

I asked if when the next supplier takes over I would get a refund because their estimated readings were way over, she said no!!

I repeated this 3 times phrased in different ways because i just couldn't believe it.

I ended up paying because I didn't want to be hit with another few weeks of standing charge.

What is going on!!?

Comments

• matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,609 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You didn't send in a reading, so who are you blaming, them or yourself
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 20 March 2017 at 11:40PM
    Options
    necronaut wrote: »
    From the day my tenants moved out I didn't visit back to the property until 3 months later when I had a bill from Green Star Energy for £200.

Part of this charge was that their meter readings estimate were excessive (the property was vacant) and partly because they'd gouged me on a £1 a day standing charge.

I rang up but because it was the weekend I submitted my meter readings to an automated service. Then I proceeded to switch to a cheaper supplier.

I waited a few weeks until I got mail that the switch had been blocked. GSE still wanted me to pay £200.

I rang them up and said the meter readings were incorrect and i would struggle to pay the 200. They said I could submit my meter readings again today, but it would be as if i switched today which means it would be another 20 days of standing charge!

I asked if when the next supplier takes over I would get a refund because their estimated readings were way over, she said no!!

I repeated this 3 times phrased in different ways because i just couldn't believe it.

I ended up paying because I didn't want to be hit with another few weeks of standing charge.

What is going on!!?

(a) a supplier can only block a request to switch supplier based on an upaid debt, where the debt has been outstanding (i.e. billed) for 28 days or more.

(b) if you had not called the supplier when your last tenants moved out, then I don't see how the bill could be in your name ... which may be the reason why you didn't pay it for ober 28 days :cool:
    (If you had called the supplier to set up a new account, they would have requested the meter reading, which as a landlord you should have had recorded and agreed by the tenant on their outgoing statement of condition)

(c) the switch may have been blocked because the account holder (which it sounds like was not you) objected to the switch.

(d) How can the estimated meter readings be that excessive? If they were so excessive, they would be much higher than the meter readings are today ... and presumably the meter readings you supply to the new supplier on the day of your switch (which as you know may be an issue, you will ensure you obtain evidence of)
    You cannot be charged for the same energy twice - the start reading of the new supplier must be the same as the end reading of the old supplier, even if it is not a reading you agree with.

(e) You are a landlord and you told the supplier you would struggle to pay £200, yet you appear to be able to afford to keep a property vacant for 3 months :cool:
    But when push came to shove, you paid them anyway?

(f) Posted: Today, 6:34 PM
    Last Activity: Today 6:34 PM

(g) 2013 - 2017 - 2021?

Good luck! :cool:
  • necronaut
    necronaut Posts: 27 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I submitted the reading when the tenants moved in. They estimated i'd consume 175% more electric than I'd historically used and that's if I had occupied the house.

So my thinking is my submitted readings have been disregarded because my near zero usage didn't fit their calculated trend. They are charging me for a very unlikely usage, so i told them my readings which they've ignored and i'm being stung with it!

Yes i'm being blocked from switching because of my outstanding debt, but their reluctance to still demand £200 having not revised my bill but now giving me the option to submit the same readings again having raked up standing charge out of me!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure