Don't you just hate folks that scratch and run??

cyclonebri1
cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
To explain, was at the docs today, big car park with surgery and chemist on site.

As I parked up I watched this old guy scrape the bumper of a car he was trying to park next to.
Other half got out, told him he'd hit it so he reversed back and drove back in.
She went into docs and he sat there in the car.

I took all details, went to chemists and got sorted, asked if they knew the owner? NO.
Had to go to Docs, asked if they knew the owner,(this car was parked in a doctors slot). The receptionist emailed all staff but this is a big NHS unit and may not have got to the vehicle owner.

Can I trace the owners from the reg numbers I have and put the offended in touch with the offender?
I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed

Comments

• Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,965 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    If you've left details of the guilty party with the chemist and the surgery, you've done all you can. If the owner notices the damage when they return, and assuming no details were left for them on the car, they're likely to ask at the chemist's or at the surgery.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    How do you know that the guy didn't put a note on the other car to say he'd hit it and if he didn't, why didn't you?

You have no way of tracking a vehicle owner from the car reg so there's nothing to be done now.
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Also inform the police.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    stator wrote: »
    Also inform the police.

How is this a Police matter?
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,016 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 20 March 2017 at 4:54PM
    Causing damage to a parked car and then scarpering without attempting to leave your details with anyone who could reasonably require them, usually the owner, is. (And if there is no-one who fits the bill, not then reporting the accident to the police within 24 hours is)

Assuming that this is what happened of course....
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    facade wrote: »
    Causing damage to a parked car and then scarpering without attempting to leave your details with anyone who could reasonably require them, usually the owner, is. (And if there is no-one who fits the bill, not then reporting the accident to the police within 24 hours is)

Assuming that this is what happened of course....

The original post included "As I parked up I watched this old guy scrape the bumper of a car he was trying to park next to.
    She went into docs and he sat there in the car."

I didn't notice the running off.
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    DUTR wrote: »
    The original post included "As I parked up I watched this old guy scrape the bumper of a car he was trying to park next to.
    She went into docs and he sat there in the car."

I didn't notice the running off.
    It may have been delayed, but waiting and then leaving without contacting the owner is the same as leaving immediately without contacting the owner
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    stator wrote: »
    It may have been delayed, but waiting and then leaving without contacting the owner is the same as leaving immediately without contacting the owner

Legally it's not, he stopped and there was no one there, so he'd only commit the offence of failing to report (if he hasn't) not failing to stop.
  • ukmike
    ukmike Posts: 751 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    You have no way of tracking a vehicle owner from the car reg so there's nothing to be done now.
    Yes there is,use the Askmid website. http://www.askmid.com/
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,016 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Legally it's not, he stopped and there was no one there, so he'd only commit the offence of failing to report (if he hasn't) not failing to stop.

But it is still a police matter if the driver neither gave his details to the owner of the car he damaged, nor reported it to the police within 24 hours.

However, neither us, nor the OP know whether he did or not as we weren't there, and the OP did not watch him for 24 hours, only a few minutes.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure