Past due credit solutions

Options
hedwig1986
hedwig1986 Posts: 4 Newbie
edited 18 March 2017 at 9:18PM in Debt-free wannabe
I received a letter from these guys demanding I pay an £80 debt due to lapsed car tax. It was only in reading the letter I realised my car taxwas out of date and I paid online immediately. I moved house and obviously the reminder letter from DVLA went to old address and without the tax disc this year it had totally slipped my mind. I am really upset at having my information passed to a debt collection agency as I have worked so hard the past number of years to clear all debts and pay everything up front and was feeling rather proud of myself. Where do I go from here? Is it possible to contact DVLA and see can I pay a fine through them instead? I understand it was my own fault and am happy to pay a fine if it actually came from DVLA but am very reluctant to get involved with collection agencies.

Comments

• moneyfacts
    moneyfacts Posts: 67 Forumite
    Options
    Contact DVLA first to check it's legit
  • hedwig1986
    Options
    I'm cross that he agency were able to find my new address and instead of sending a warning or reminder to pay the tax they just send an £80 fine and a bullying type letter. I will contact them on Monday just left worrying about this all weekend.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Dont let it worry you tomorrow, you could help yourself to prevent it happening again, use a calender to make a note when tax, insurance, mot etc is due, use your phone to do it, its really easy.
  • hedwig1986
    Options
    I will lesson learned just need to know how best to handle this.
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I was late with car tax too and had a similar letter. I ignored the letter and instead of dealing with them I called dvla stating I had lost the letter and asked if I could paid them directly which I did. It never showed on my credit file and I heard nothing more.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure