IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Equita Letter

Evening everyone,
got a tricky one for you
My girlfriend has no knowledge of ever getting a parking ticket, she hasn't received a letter stating she has received a ticket but today she received a letter from EQuita which I understand are under the same umbrella as Parking eye.

They state that they have tried to contact her recently about an unpaid parking charge and are asking for £160 in Full.

Does anyone know how to approach this as obviously we have no details of when and where this has happened,this is the first mail we have had about such thing

kind regards
Brad

Comments

• Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Advice for debt collectors (Equita is one of those) is to ignore them - see NEWBIES FAQ sticky, post #4. Debt collectors are powerless.

The fact that Equita are linked to PE is, perversely, rather good news for you. PE are the most litigious parking company in existence, issuing in excess of 25,000 court proceedings per year.

The fact they haven't proceeded to court in this case (preferring to use a debt collector) suggests they either don't have a good case, or the landholder they've contracted with won't give them permission to open court proceedings against motorists who have used their car park.

This isn't a guarantee it won't get to a court stage, so you need to be watchful about what drops through the letterbox - don't ignore any court papers, come back if anything from the court is received.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • After further digging the story is about to unfold tremendously
    I went onto parking eye and had a look to see if I can get the photo evidence.
    on the off chance I used the "client reference" as the PCN reference and blow me it worked.
    Turns out this ticket is from August 2015 when she visited the cinema with our son.
    The car park operated a free parking policy for Cinema customers, we know this as we have used the facility where you enter the reg numerous times so know the score.
    It seems Parking eye have issued a CCJ on my partners Credit file for this FREE PARKING ticket as the dates add up it seems.

so it seems she's in a right state of affairs, any advice would be greatly appreciated
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,403 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 17 March 2017 at 11:17AM
    Sounds like they have traced her because the car's registered address from 2015 has changed and all letters will have been going there, up until now. Read these:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5619223

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5617700

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5607320

http://www.parking-prankster.com/ccj.html

And let us help you, we do this too often...the parking 'profession' are an absolute disgrace and this issue is a national scandal. Has she definitely got a CCJ to set aside? If so then follow what is explained in the links there and shout if she gets stuck. You can assist her but it's her case to set aside in her name, and she must attend hearings (worth it to wipe the CCJ).

Or she can get consent from PE to set it aside (no hearing) as shown there in the links, but that involves paying the charge as well as a fee. You do realise parking firms can and do charge £70 - £100 or so, for overstays in a free car park? That's what the ParkingEye v Beavis case at the Supreme Court was all about in 2015! Guess who won...
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure