PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Home Buyers survey, are they worth it?

I've just had a Home Buyers survey done on my house and it took 23 minutes.

The surveyor asked me if I had done any major work on the house since I bought it, my reply was no. I asked him did he want to ask me any more more questions, his reply was no. I asked him how much did this cost the buyer and he said up to £700. Seemed far too quick for my liking, I expected more questions and more of an investigation of the property.

I think when I buy I might give a survey a miss and use my eyes and intuition instead.

Comments

• pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,239 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    We just had the valuation on our house when we bought it BUT my dad knew the builder who had done the extension and it was a fairly new house (1978). We were also only borrowing 40% of the value.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • economic
    economic Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    home buyers not worth it. if you gonna do one might as well do structural survey, which is also pointless unless you are worried for some reason about the stucture (past insurance claims etc).

i wouldnt bother, its a waste of money.
  • jeanzbeanz
    jeanzbeanz Posts: 58 Forumite
    What we did was contact a structural engineer to walk around the property with us and advise on any potential structural issues (which is the most costly thing we were worried about because of a flat roof extension and cracks in walls etc). He charged us £150 for that. Our solicitor did a very thorough job of getting reports on the boiler etc. Much better value and more useful than a home buyers report :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure