Holiday Mis-Sold (haven't been yet)

Options
Hi, want to know what's my rights are in this situation

Bought: two week holiday (flights transfers accommodation) website says private whirlpool on balcony
When: bought in December 2016, we are flying December 2017
Paid: using debit card
Problem: have now since found out the room we have booked is just a bath and not a whirlpool.... (I know sounds petty but it's a honeymoon! Bath is very different on a balcony to a whirlpool). I've only found out since checking TripAdvisor it's a bath. I have complained to Thomson, at first they said you will get one but then said we wouldn't and it would be a bath even though on website it says whirlpool. They are rubbish at getting back- I have asked for compensation am deathly have been waiting two weeks (have chased twice).

What are my rights in this instance?

Comments

• hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 15 March 2017 at 7:41PM
    Options
    So are they saying balconies with whirlpools don't exist at all here, ( wasn't there one shown in the photos?) , or are they saying they've booked you the wrong room?
    Have you considered contacting them on Facebook?
  • Bogalot
    Bogalot Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    Options
    Which hotel is it?

How much compo are you looking for due to the lack of squirty jets in the bath?
  • ThumbRemote
    ThumbRemote Posts: 4,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Do you have in writing from Thomson that you won't get one, or was it only verbally? (If the former, it helps your case a lot)

Do you have a copy of the webpage / brochure that says there is the balcony whirlpool?

What do you want to happen? A cancellation and full refund, or a price reduction?
  • Shaka_Zulu
    Shaka_Zulu Posts: 1,689 Forumite
    edited 16 March 2017 at 11:31AM
    Options
    Ask for your money back and book elsewhere.
  • steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Have you had the holiday yet?

If not, then you could ask to cancel.

If you have, then I think you should get something as the room was clearly not as described (although only in a minor way).
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

If not, then you could ask to cancel.

If you have, then I think you should get something as the room was clearly not as described (although only in a minor way).
    Although a bit cryptic, I think the thread title may answer your question. ;)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    wealdroam wrote: »
    Although a bit cryptic, I think the thread title may answer your question. ;)
    Indeed, and just to confirm:
    we are flying December 2017
  • JamesRussell90
    Options
    The Hotel is Dreams Las Maereas in Costa Rica.
    The Website didn't have images of the rooms against the descriptions - just general pictures in the picture gallery.
    They have said (in writing) i will still get a bath on a balcony just not a whirlpool.
    The Hotel Management on tripadvisor have said its just a bath not a whirpool in reply to a question i asked.
    I have screengrabs of the website - and it still has on the website that you will have a priavte whirpool on the balcony.
    The preferred club room's (an extra £1,500 for the time we are there) have the proper whirlpool's on the balconies so ideally i would like that - or at an extremely reduced cost.

Hope that answers everyones Q's!
  • Bogalot
    Bogalot Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    Options
    The Hotel is Dreams Las Maereas in Costa Rica.
    The Website didn't have images of the rooms against the descriptions - just general pictures in the picture gallery.
    They have said (in writing) i will still get a bath on a balcony just not a whirlpool.
    The Hotel Management on tripadvisor have said its just a bath not a whirpool in reply to a question i asked.
    I have screengrabs of the website - and it still has on the website that you will have a priavte whirpool on the balcony.
    The preferred club room's (an extra £1,500 for the time we are there) have the proper whirlpool's on the balconies so ideally i would like that - or at an extremely reduced cost.

Hope that answers everyones Q's!

The Preferred Club rooms offer far more extras than the whirlpool, so the cost of an upgrade would still need to take these into account. You could let the hotel know that it is your honeymoon, that may get you an upgrade but don't pin your hopes on it.

You're still getting a lovely room and a bath on the balcony. How much are you really going to miss what is essentially a very minor feature?
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The website actually says a standard room has
    Private, furnished balcony or terrace with hot tub

The suites have a
    Spacious, furnished terrace with hot tub

Thomson appears to have only 3 room types and states all have
    Balcony/Terrace with Private Whirlpool

I own holiday rentals with hot tubs. Actually sitting on a balcony/terrace in an outdoor tub regardless of jets is still enjoyable. Jets tend only to be on for short bursts of 10 mins or so.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure