PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Conveyancer help needed ASAP!

Options
I'm trying to find a conveyancer and could do with some recommendations asap! After a day of trawling the internet I have an idea of a fair price (about £2,700 seems the average including stamp duty) but can't find anyone with good reviews too.

I don't mind using local or online services if they're reliable-my ex used Premier Property Lawyers online for our house sale when we split but they were really disorganised and kept telling him I hadn't send them documents when I had, so they're out.

Obviously if I can cut the cost, great, because money is very tight but I want someone who knows their stuff especially with it being a leasehold flat I'm buying. I'm in Benfleet, Essex btw.

Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Velvet_Glove
    Options
    I just had a search through my emails for you as I remember we had a hell of a time trying to find someone.

Do not use LMS Conveyancing. When we renewed our mortgage they were Nationwide's preferred and there was a long succession of not acknowledging documents we had sent them and ignoring deadlines.

It looks like we used E-Surv when we first bought, and although they needed a nudge to get them moving, they did do the job and this was with no problems
  • Mrs36
    Mrs36 Posts: 193 Forumite
    Options
    I would ask friends and family for recommendations, rather than listening to strangers on the internet!
  • Ithaca
    Ithaca Posts: 269 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I would always use a good local firm of solicitors, based on recommendations from friends and family. We used one close to my office and it was really handy to be able to pop out at lunchtime or on the way home from work to collect document packs and then drop them back off once they were signed. Meant there was never any doubt whether the docs had arrived and no excuses of them being stuck in the post. Plus the ability to turn up in person seemed to often make our file magically work its way to the top of the "to do" pile!
  • Dawn248
    Dawn248 Posts: 111 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks. I'll give them all a call tomorrow now I've got some idea of costs.
    Should I expect most to work on the basis that if the sale falls through, there's no cost? Not quite sure if I need to check anything else before instructing a solicitor and how that would affect me if I find out the nature of the leasehold is a unattractive-EA don't know how the lease is structured.
  • Dawn248
    Options
    Thank for posting. Family and friends would be ideal to ask but having just escaped from a very abusive 25 year marriage I don't have any of either at the moment! Sad I know..
    But MSE has been a lifesaver for me this last year so I'll take any advice I can get.
  • dannyjebb
    dannyjebb Posts: 428 Forumite
    Options
    We us d homeward legal, they are online but they use a local conveyancer so you can do everything face to face if you wish,they also had the best price of any we contacted
  • Dawn248
    Options
    Thanks, I'll have a look at Homeward Legal. Got to provide details of solicitor by the end of the week apparently so am googling like mad still!
  • dannyjebb
    dannyjebb Posts: 428 Forumite
    Options
    They also have a no move no fee (which actually means you pay a deposit, if the sale falls through, you don't pay any more, your deposit is non refundable but it will be deducted from your next dealings with them. Although I think most companies now do this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure