PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Claiming estate agency fee VAT when selling as a landlord

Options
I am a landlord, however I am planning on selling my property.

Is the VAT on estate agency fees something I can claim as an expense?

Comments

• LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    jcuurthht wrote: »
    I am a landlord, however I am planning on selling my property.

Is the VAT on estate agency fees something I can claim as an expense?

If you are not VAT registered then it is a cost to you and will be a normal business expense like any other VAT you incur in running your business?
  • jcuurthht
    jcuurthht Posts: 332 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    LandyAndy wrote: »
    If you are not VAT registered then it is a cost to you and will be a normal business expense like any other VAT you incur in running your business?

I'm not.

I remember including certain landlord related things on my self assessment (which I have to do as I live abroad but receive income via rent). I thought I could include this expense when filling my self assessment form.
  • booksurr
    booksurr Posts: 3,700 Forumite
    Options
    jcuurthht wrote: »
    I'm not.

I remember including certain landlord related things on my self assessment (which I have to do as I live abroad but receive income via rent). I thought I could include this expense when filling my self assessment form.
    you are not VAT registered, therefore you report the GROSS cost of any invoice/cost you incur

your post reads like you are asking about the EA fees when you sell the property? In that case the gross cost is allowable when working out your taxable net gain for Capital Gains Tax purposes since the selling fee is a cost against the capital not the income liability

if on the other hand you simply mean the monthly fee charged by the EA for acting as your UK agent whilst you are abroad then that too is allowable at gross value but obviously would fall into your income tax declaration
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    booksurr wrote: »
    you are not VAT registered, therefore you report the GROSS cost of any invoice/cost you incur

your post reads like you are asking about the EA fees when you sell the property? In that case the gross cost is allowable when working out your taxable net gain for Capital Gains Tax purposes since the selling fee is a cost against the capital not the income liability

if on the other hand you simply mean the monthly fee charged by the EA for acting as your UK agent whilst you are abroad then that too is allowable at gross value but obviously would fall into your income tax declaration

Whoops, yes. :o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport