IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Private parking notice sent to wrong address

Options
Hi,

I have read lots and lots of different feeds but can't find one that fits my exact situation so thought I'd open a new thread.

Around the end of December maybe, I received a letter from Smart Parking Ltd stating that my car had stayed in the Matalan car park for about 23 minutes over the maximum time (on 27/11/16). I never received the original notice as it was sent to my old address even though I moved House over 7 months previously (and had changed my address with the DVLA straight away) I assume their database wasn't completely up to date. So when I received the letter it was over the 14 days and the parking charge notice had increased to £155.00.

I was super !!!!ed off so threw it away (oops) and now don't have my PCN number or anything.

I got another letter today from SCS law on behalf of Smart Parking Ltd and Debt Recovery Plus stating:

"We act for Smart Parking Ltd and are instructed to recover chargers shown below incurred by you in relation to the parking or your vehicle. In the event that a County Court Judgement is obtained against you and payment not made our client will consider all enforcement options..." etc etc etc

My question is- is it still late to appeal this? If so what do I do and if not who do I appeal to and with what reference as I have thrown everything away... (oops again)

Thanks so much for any help you can give me

Comments

• pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    please look at your v5 doc , not your driving licence , is the v5 in your currant address and at the bottom of (I think) page 2 , what is the DOC REF date?

forget debt recovery plus , plus read http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4816822

now , the date please on your v5?
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • rcnewton
    Options
    Ah... my v5 is still in my old address from when I first bought my car back in 2014. So I need to change this? I thought that changing the address on my driving license was enough but clearly not :rotfl:
  • pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    your licence and your v5 are not linked

now start worrying how many speed cameras offences and counsil type tickets are floating around !

smart have correctly written to your "last known" address ,
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    rcnewton wrote: »
    Ah... my v5 is still in my old address from when I first bought my car back in 2014. So I need to change this? I thought that changing the address on my driving license was enough but clearly not :rotfl:

You can get a real fine for that, from the DVLA. So sort it out!

But as for DRP letters - even when they are using solicitor notepaper - ignore them (except you will have to email them to give them your new address):

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5618005

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5035663

Annoyingly, had you had your V5 correct, Smart would have been super easy to beat at POPLA, one of the simplest ones to see off but you missed the chance and will have to put up with debt collector drivel for months. No, you can't have POPLA now.

Always check every letter isn't a court claim because SCS law do act for UKPC an dissue court papers (NEVER Smart parking as yet and the fact the letter mentioned DRPlus shows it's just a debt letter).

Also you WILL have to give DRPlus your correct address so do this by email, with DRPlus' reference in the subject line of your email, a ref which is DIFFERENT than the PCN number:

info@drpl.co.uk

NOT saying a thing about who was driving - it's your main defence if needed, that Smart cannot rely on 'keeper liability' as they don't use the applicable law. And despite ANPR cameras, they do not know the driver's identity.

Keep it that way but update your address as registered keeper with the DVLA and with DRPLus.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure