Changing payment date

I'm looking to change a payment date on one of my credit cards, as next month I will struggle to pay it.
My current payment due date is 22nd March. Which is paid. So my next statement will be released on 23Rd March, making my payment due 22nd April. If I ask to change my statement date so my payment is due on the 1St of the month. Does anyone if my next payment date will be 1 may or will I have to pay by 1St april?

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,849 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 14 March 2017 at 7:36PM
    Can you not even make the minimum payment by the April due date ? They usually move the statement date rather than the payment date but you may be too late to do that for this month. I assume you are carrying a balance on the card so whatever you do will incur extra interest.
  • HowsJ
    HowsJ Posts: 11 Forumite
    Thanks for responding.
    The balance is high so I pay interest each month. I can't pay the minimum next month as its quite high in itself and had a lack of hours at work for my next pay day.
    I get paid on the 31st or March and then 28th April, but 31St I will be short in pay. So hoping by moving the payment date to the 1St I can use both sets of work pay dates to cover the next bill.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,849 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    You need to contact them and ask to change the statement date then. Don't go straight in with having difficulty paying as that will ring alarm bells, just state it will fit in better with pay day and other bills.
  • KILL_BILL
    KILL_BILL Posts: 2,183 Forumite
    depending on the company involved some state that you can change the payment date once a year etc
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    edited 15 March 2017 at 5:52AM
    HowsJ wrote: »
    I'm looking to change a payment date on one of my credit cards, as next month I will struggle to pay it.
    My current payment due date is 22nd March. Which is paid. So my next statement will be released on 23Rd March, making my payment due 22nd April. If I ask to change my statement date so my payment is due on the 1St of the month. Does anyone if my next payment date will be 1 may or will I have to pay by 1St april?

It will never be possible to change the payment due date without changing the statement date.
    It will probably be possible to change your statement date. It may not be possible to select an exact date; you may be offered a choice of periods such as 1st 10 days of the month, 2nd 10 days of the month etc. It will all depend on who the credit card provider is.
    However, even if you can change it to an exact date, I'm not sure this will work in the way that you wish.
    The payment due date being one day before the next statement due date this month is of course exceptional due to the short month in February. The April payment date will not be as late as 22nd April if the statement is issued on 23rd March. The payment due date CANNOT be fixed; it will always vary slightly from month to month depending on the number of days in the month as it is a fixed period of days from the statement date. To achieve a 1st Month earliest possible payment due date you would need a statement date of no earlier than 7th Month, preferably slightly later.
    If you request a change of statement date now, they will go ahead and issue the statement on its normal date for March then the April statement will be issued on the new desired date. They will not agree to postpone issue of the March statement until April.
    As others have said, DO NOT say that you are experiencing any difficulties in making your repayments. Even if the person you speak to is sympathetic, what you have said will be noted and possibly be used against you such as an interest rate increase or credit limit reduction or something.
    If you really will be unable to make the minimum payment on time, do you have enough available credit to take a cash advance to pay it? Paying the cash advance fee and extra interest will be preferable to a late payment marker/late payment history on the account.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure