Switching electric supplier.

Things.Past
Things.Past Posts: 41 Forumite
edited 14 March 2017 at 5:53PM in Energy
Hi all.
My daughter has just moved into a housing association house. By the previous occupier, the electricity supplier was / is N Power. She phoned them telling them she needed to pay off used usage since moving in, which was just a few days ago, and that she wished to move to another supplier.
She has not entered into any contract, N Power was the supplier with the last occupier...She was told over the phone that she needs to register on the N Power web site using address details and account number from the previous occupier, then make and clear the payment, she can then switch, BUT only after three weeks. She was then told that if she switches she will be charged for the switch. Call me thick, but this sounds complete BULL.
Any advice/help please ?..

Comments

• Hasbeen
    Hasbeen Posts: 4,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Hi all.
    My daughter has just moved into a housing association house. By the previous occupier, the electricity supplier was / is N Power. She phoned them telling them she needed to pay off used usage since moving in, which was just a few days ago, and that she wished to move to another supplier.
    She has not entered into any contract, N Power was the supplier with the last occupier...She was told over the phone that she needs to register on the N Power web site using address details and account number from the previous occupier, then make and clear the payment, she can then switch, BUT only after three weeks. She was then told that if she switches she will be charged for the switch. Call me thick, but this sounds complete BULL.
    Any advice/help please ?..

She is in a deemed contract with N Power. She would have to register give readings etc, so they can send her bill.

She can switch at anytime after, usually takes 3 weeks to go through.

She will be charged by N Power until then. She will then receive final bill:)
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • Ok, That does make sense. A bit more understandable than that she was told. Thank you for your help..
  • Joyful
    Joyful Posts: 2,426 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Get her to register and give readings. Tell her to stay on the standard tariff and then contact her preferred supplier. The switch will take 17 days after which she will be billed for usage.
    Self Employed, Running my Dream Jobs
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport