IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Out and Back

Options
I parked my car at the Albert St VCS site in Birmingham at 7.30pm in the evening, and paid for a 24 hour stay over the phone. On the following morning at 8.00am I left the car park and returned half an hour later, finally leaving at 3.30pm, well within the 24 hours which I had paid for.
I have received a ticket for the period 9.30am to 3.30pm based on the ANPR information, with a charge of £100 due.
I've read the Newbies thread and I can see information about "Double Dip" charges, but this situation is the reverse of that.
I don't live in Birmingham so can't return to scrutinise the notice boards, but I believe that I was entitled to leave and return as I had paid for the period of parking. Is that correct??

Comments

• Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Whether you have contravened or not depends upon the t&c on the sign. Obviously, it is very defendable but would be much clearer to you and us if we knew the wording on the sign.

Any MSE member able to help with the wording?
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,717 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I parked my car at the Albert St VCS site in Birmingham at 7.30pm in the evening, and paid for a 24 hour stay over the phone. On the following morning at 8.00am I left the car park and returned half an hour later, finally leaving at 3.30pm, well within the 24 hours which I had paid for.

I have received a ticket for the period 9.30am to 3.30pm based on the ANPR information, with a charge of £100 due. I've read the Newbies thread and I can see information about "Double Dip" charges, but this situation is the reverse of that.

I don't live in Birmingham so can't return to scrutinise the notice boards, but I believe that I was entitled to leave and return as I had paid for the period of parking. Is that correct??

VCS will say it's not correct and you will say it's not clear , and a Judge will decide ultimately, when this gets to a court hearing later this year - as it will. No appeal/challenge will cancel it (this is not a normal/fair industry) but you will know that already, from reading the 'NEWBIES READ THESE FAQS FIRST' sticky thread.

Albert Street signs are shown in the Parking Prankster's Blogs. Google 'Parking Prankster VCS Albert Street Birmingham'. There is also ambiguity about whether Excel or VCS offer the contract, etc., none of which will get a proper airing till small claims court anyway.

DO NOT PAY just because I've said it will got to small claims! There are no huge costs and nor is your credit rating affected even if you lose then pay in the end if a Judge told you to, rare losers here pay about £150 and no CCJ happens, of course, as long as court papers and Directions are not ignored. If you pay, you would be funding and supporting/sponsoring the entire business model and this rotten industry deserves not a penny from drivers at all.

We win almost every case v BW Legal (who do VCS/Excel claims) as they are so awful with evidence and our defences are solid. So, read about what happens, read VCS BW Legal cases and check out the Prankster's Blog all about their woeful efforts in court.

This will be a life experience for you!

:)
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure