Thomson's rep telling lies!!!!!

We go away often and the Thomson reps never give advice on savings to be had on public transport. When they have finished their presentation I always raise the subject of the Bono Card when in Tenerife. Other savings can also be made in Fuerteventura and Benalmadena area to name just two.

This week the Thomson rep in Puerto de la Cruz tried to put people off buying the card, saying that it expired after six months. Every one knows it last for 12 months.

I contacted Titsa the bus company in Tenerife through Facebook. I got their reply this morning:-

"Hello, the bono card expires after one year. After that, you can use the rest of money for a new bono card (it discount). Thank you."

I got the same reply from Thomson's own 24 hour helpline and quite a few people on TripAdvisor.

Have Thomson reps conned you or have they been honest?

May be Martin could look into this for his ITV programme?

Thanks,
Fortyfoot

Comments

• PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 March 2017 at 1:55PM
    Tours Reps are nearly always economic with the facts, or have their own version of the truth.

I wouldn't necessarily expect a Rep to know how long any card was valid, especially if validity wasn't relevant to folk on a couple of weeks holiday.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,539 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I would suggest that most tour reps (whatever their company) are really in the business of selling their tours and therefore do not know too much about local bus services, ferry tickets etc.
    Surely they are trying to boost their own commission??

It is up to the holiday maker to do their research beforehand
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggyduvets,26 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=160 £86 spent!!!
  • PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Katiehound wrote: »
    It is up to the holiday maker to do their research beforehand

At the end of the Welcome Meeting the Rep must dread asking....."...and are there any questions?":)
  • 814man
    814man Posts: 401 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    The OP is being a bit harsh here I think. Most folk, certainly I'd suspect those on this forum, will know that tour reps have a very defined role and purpose and as noted that is generally to sell the products of the company they are employed by. Not too different from most other commercial operations. If on the other hand you actually want unbiased information then you need to take in a few views and do some research on your own.
    Coming over as a smarta**** at the welcome meeting will of course make the reps very well disposed to you and I'm sure they'll go that extra mile if you ever need to call on their services.
  • leylandsunaddict
    leylandsunaddict Posts: 1,923 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 March 2017 at 4:21PM
    I wouldn't expect a tour operators rep to be up to date with the local bus service reduced price cards, or a lot else for that matter. They're employed to sell excursions, trying to iron out problems, helping in emergencies, airport duties and reconfirming inbound flights. Much above that is expecting too much IMO.

Why raise the subject every time you go? Why raise it at all when you already know about it? Why even both going to the welcome meeting if you've been to the island before? Trying to impress the other package holidaymakers (well those that aren't savvy enough to keep any from the welcome meeting in the first place) really speaks volumes IMO.

I presume it was you that posted about this on TA saying it was another Thomson 'con'. Begs the question why you book with them. Just book everything yourself. Flights direct with an airline and accommodation direct with the provider. No middlemen to 'con' you then.
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    People actually attend these meetings?

Mugs!
  • r2015
    r2015 Posts: 1,136 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker! Cashback Cashier
    People actually attend these meetings?

I attend for the welcome drink :beer:
    over 73 but not over the hill.
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Why raise the subject every time you go? Why raise it at all when you already know about it? Why even both going to the welcome meeting if you've been to the island before? Trying to impress the other package holidaymakers (well those that aren't savvy enough to keep any from the welcome meeting in the first place) really speaks volumes IMO.

Exactly.

I bet they love know it alls that pitch up at the meetings. Just stay on your sunbed next time, or go out and use your Bono card.

Your thread title is OTT.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Iv'e never gone to a welcome meeting on any package holiday i have every been on!. I wouldn't expect them to offer any interesting or useful information because all they care about is selling overpriced excursions.

When i last went to Tenerife i asked the rep how much they charge for tickets to Loro Parc. They quoted a price including bus travel which for a family of four would have worked out more than the price i paid to rent a car + fuel for an entire week after deducting the price of 4 tickets if bought directly from the park.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Fortyfoot wrote: »
    This week the Thomson rep in Puerto de la Cruz tried to put people off buying the card, saying that it expired after six months. Every one knows it last for 12 months.

If everyone knows already what's the probem?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure