PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Weekly Flylady Thread 13 March 2017

Natty68
Natty68 Posts: 3,336 Forumite
Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
edited 17 March 2017 at 9:30AM in Old style MoneySaving
Its been lovely to see some de-lurkers and some newcomers; do please post even if it's just to say 'list completed'

Welcome to the weekly Flylady thread. If you need help organising your week or getting motivated when it comes to housework then come and join us.

It is your responsibility to read the forum rules, please follow them on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us.

Thank you Valli for last week's thread

Every room comes back around next week so please don’t stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Thank you Dusty for last week's thread.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!

WM ~ Washing machine
TD ~ Tumble dryer
SC ~ Slowcooker
BM ~ Breadmaker
DW ~ Dishwasher
SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
NN ~ nice neighbour
Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
ETA ~ Edited to add
Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to AnW's Mum for this one
RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!
Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al - supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

Mondays are Marvellous!! - Kitchen and Dining Area
Level One...

Deweb and polish
Sweep and mop the floor
Run WM's and DW's through a clean cycle.. don't forget to scrub out the drawers and filters.
Level Two
Wipe the table
Wash the windows and sills
Degunge the fridge
Wash any curtains/table cloths that need it
Level Three
S&S the hob & oven
Wipe the units and large appliances

Extras:
Declutter any drawers that need a really good decluttering!!
Declutter and wipe the worksurfaces
Clear out a cupboard of junk!

Twinkly Tuesday - Living room, hall, stairs and porch!
Level One

Declutter ALL the floors!!
Clear the mantle of junk
Level Two
Dust those flat fluffy surfaces
Vacuum/sweep all the floors.. stairs too!
Vacuum/sweep under furniture you can safely move!
Vacuum sofas
Level Three
Wash the windows
Wash any soft furnishings that need it
Wipe down ALL the paintwork!
Extras
  • Wipe and water plants
  • Dust all the electricals.. carefully.. don't want anybody getting fried!!!
  • Wipe front door.. inside and out!
  • Binbag dance
  • HHI

Wiggly Wednesday- Master bedroom and landing!
Level One

Strip and wash the bedding
Air the duvet.. if nice hang it out on the line for a blow!
Quick one.. check those smoke alarms!
Level Two
Clear the floordrobe
Deweb and dust
Empty and wash out all the bins!!
Wash windows
Level Three
Sort through a hotspot
Half hour... FILING... meanness I know
Organise your toiletries and make-up stash, do you really need 6 lipsticks!!!!
Sort through a cupboard.. make it neat and tidy
Extras
  • Half hour... FILING... meanness I know but it won't do itself!!
  • Deweb and dust
  • 36 fling boogie!! .. GO
  • Empty and wash out all the bins!!
  • Quick one.. check those smoke alarms - no that doesn't mean burn the toast/bacon to check :D!
  • Clean out pets/wash beds

Thursday Thrills - Bathroom and Study..
Level One

Vacuum/mop floors
Wash towels/flannels and replace with clean ones.
Declutter the floors
Level Two
Wash the windows
Wash the bath mat and replace
HHI
Wipe down the tiles
Level Three
Dejunk the desk and wipe off the gunge
Empty out a cupboard clean it out and put back only the bits you need to keep
Defrag the pc and delete 50 useless emails
Defrag the pc and delete 50 useless emails
Scrub the bath, sinks, toilets, showers and tiles etc
Extras
  • Change any lightbulb you have been leaving…
  • Collect all the laundry from upstairs
  • HHI
  • Sort out the coats and bags and shoes..
  • Do a cupboard stock take and sort a meal plan and shopping list
  • Fill a binbag for charity shop :D

Friday is Funky! - childrens rooms! ~ spare rooms or just attack a neglected room!!
Level One

Strip and wash any bedding that need it
Make half an hour appointment or you time!! you deserve it.. nails done, hair appointment.
Level Two
Dust and deweb the whole room
Declutter the floor.. inc under the beds and units
Vacuum floors
Dust and deweb the whole room
Wipe away sticky marks
Level Three
Straighten up a chest of drawers or wardrobe
Wash windows
Straighten up a chest of drawers or wardrobe
Binbag dance!

Extras
  • Catch up on necessary phone calls inc making those much needed appointments
  • Ring someone you've not spoken to in a while..
  • Delete some of those old contacts and texts off your mobile phone!!
  • Meal plan for the next week and make a shopping list... based on what you found in the freezer and those things that need using from weekly cupboard sweep.
  • Extra 30 minutes ironing.. school uniforms? work clothes?
Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17
Declutter challenge 2023, 2024 🏅 🏅⭐️⭐️
DH declutter challenge award 🏅⭐️

Comments

• Natty68
    Natty68 Posts: 3,336 Forumite
    So sorry I wasn't around last week, a week ago yesterday I was struck down with some virus that totally laid me up for almost the whole of last week. Then to top the week off, if you haven't read the disaster that befell us on FB I had to do a dash to our A&E with Dave which we thought would be a few nights in hospital with IV antibiotics. Luckily he is at home but he does have a huge amount of antibiotics and cream to use, but I will tell you all that I was terrified he would end up with that flesh eating thing on his skin due to the severity of his infection all over. Thankfully it hasn't ended up as that I got him to A&E quick enough.

Now I have him at home for a while recuperating and not able to move about a lot due to skin and swelling. Doesn't help that I'm still getting over this virus of my own..lol
    Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17
    Declutter challenge 2023, 2024 🏅 🏅⭐️⭐️
    DH declutter challenge award 🏅⭐️
  • Fayolle
    Fayolle Posts: 2,890 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Natty, that sounds scary. Glad that Dave is on the mend. Look after yourself as well.

Thank you for the lists.

I'm in - can't believe I'm first in!
  • Hi all x
    I'm in as much as possible between paid stuff and being a dance mom!
    Thanks to Valli and Natty xxx

Natty huge hugs honey xxxx

I've done the school/work ironing, made up the packed lunches and put the spices in the slow cooker to make a chilli in the morning the thought of measuring out the spices at 6 am is too much for me :rotfl:

Kitchen has been decluttered and Bunkers are wiped down.
    I will make a start on the list when I get home tomorrow.

Goodnight and sleep well everyone x
    I'm not a muggle...I'm just magically challenged
  • angelpye
    angelpye Posts: 995 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Natty that sounds awful! Hope he recovers soon and is comfortable.

I am in again this week. I was so grateful to get to the weekend with not much to do other than keeping up what I had already done - meant I had real quality time with DD without feeling distracted by the house. We did tidy her room together today so I will vacuum and clean window etc tomorrow.

Kitchen in good shape so tomorrows task should be less daunting.

Thank you for the list. Looking forward to the week ahead :D
    Happiness is wanting what you have...
    Debt Jan 2017: £2589.22 DFD: [STRIKE]Sept 2022[/STRIKE] April 2022 but this Marching Minimalist can beat that!
    Use it or Loose it gym target: Feb'17 5/6 Mar 4/6 :j
    EF £0/£4200
  • lynnejk
    lynnejk Posts: 5,732 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    Evening all

Thank you for the lists Valli and Natty

Hugs to all especially Natty - that sounded really scary :eek: Hope you both soon fully recovered

Will have to get a move on this week as we go away for our holibobs on Friday for a fortnight in the (hopefully) sunshine.

GWS vibes, sticks and spoons if you need some
    Hope you all have a super Monday
    Lx
    £10day.2014=3213/2015=3421/2016=3238/2017=2702/2018=498..APR=12.03/300
    GrocC.2014=2162/2015=2083/2016=218/2017=1996/2018=450..APR=17.13/200
    Bulk buy.......APR=233.76
    GC.NSD..2015=216/2016=213/2017=229/2018=39..APR=03/15
    SPC130:staradminx61..2014=1178/2015=1287/2016=4616/2017=3843
    OS WL= -2/8 ......CC =00......Savings = £13,140
  • Narc0lepsy
    Narc0lepsy Posts: 2,660 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Natty I hope Dave makes a quick and full recovery.
    I had a double-take when I saw Thank you Dusty for last week's thread written at the top!!

I think my plan for this week just has to be to stay calm, keep catching up on work, continue the 'stay tidy' and actually get down to some dusting. Have a good week everyone.
    Remember...a layer of dust protects the wood beneath it.
  • Bibbitybob
    Bibbitybob Posts: 843 Forumite
    Natty that sounds like a really rough week - hope everyone is on the mend and you have a better one this week.

I'm in again - had little one's 1st Birthday tea last Thursday and it was so lovely not to be mad dashing around trying to catch up with the house, finally starting to feel I'm on top of it a little.

Feeling the strain at the moment - the bank balance is running low, all savings gone on loft conversion, and jobs under threat. Just done an online shop (used to shop in Aldi, but actually found I blew the budget buying not sticking to my list, plus added stress of shopping with baby - HOWEVER next week I plan to try again) but other than that I'm hoping for a few NSD from now until the weekend.
  • Natty sending get well soon vibes for Dave.

I am going to get to work on list this week in earnest, albeit slowly. at hospital yesterday. Pulled a muscle behind the back of my eye on Saturday (not sure how I did it...chewing a sweet when it happened?) pain was unreal, cue blocked tear duct and a swollen bag under my eye that makes me look like Palpatine from St@r W@rs. so more medication in the mix. Deep Joy!

Been told my house is going on Open House with Estate Agents over 1st/2nd April, so I need to crack on getting all the niggly little things sorted. It has been recommended that I change my lilac and purple bedroom to coffee and chocolate in keeping with the rest of the house. Men hold the wallet on housebuying, so the bedroom needs to be less feminine apparently. at this stage a quick paint job will be worth it if it gets things moving.

DD1 has to be in work for a "strongman" 13 hour shift today, so need to be shuffling DS and DD4 out the door at 6am, so no point in going back to bed.....I *should* start listy

see you all later :wave:
    The cold never bothered me anyway
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,759 Forumite
    Won't get much done as f/t this week.

Glad to read positive newsNatty, fingers xxxxd
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    Thank you for the lists Valli and natty.
    Natty how scary! Glad you got him to hospital in time and I hope he makes a full recovery very soon. Hugs to you and yours.
    Hugs good wishes and posi/coping vibes to all who need them
    Sorry I wasn't bout much last week I was busy keeping up.
    Working all day today then meditation class tonight so doubt I'll be about much today.
    I will try and keep up with flying.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure