Npower, Experian and the Ombudsman

Options
Hi,
After some advice - Npower hammered my Experian credit file last year and as a result, I took them to the Ombudsman.
The issue was around a final bill, which was sent to a 3rd party without my knowledge and luckily, I checked my file and saw it
Not wishing to go into detail with that, but fully paid it in Sept 2016, even though the 3rd party took full payment and passed it to Npower a month later - Npower would not accept payment otherwise !
Anyway, we move on - The Ombudsman found partially in my favour and asked Npower to do the following :

Following my investigation of your complaint, my decision requires npower (residential) to:

· liaise with the third party debt collection agents to confirm the date you made the final payment to clear the balance;
· provide confirmation in writing that no adverse credit information has been recorded after the final payment was made;
· If it has recorded adverse credit information after this date it should provide confirmation in writing that it will correct the credit information shared; and
· provide you with an apology in writing for the inconvenience experienced.

From the above, my expectation was that Npower, would adjust the credit file to show the balance paid from Sept 2016 . They wrote and said they would do the above
My credit file, which I recently bought, now has a U placed against the debt, the late payments still show up to and include Sept and October , even though they claim they have carried out the Ombudsman's request
I have queried with Experian, when my file was last updated and they have not provided an answer other than the below- I have emailed 5 times to ask
The information we hold actually belongs to lenders. Only they can amend it or tell us to amend it for them.
The Ombudsman have stated that Npower have told them they have carried it out and I now have to send a pic of the recent credit file entry as they don't understand credit files

My queries are as follows:
1) As the Experian updates would relate to last Sept and Oct, is it worth pursuing ? My file has no missed payments for well over 2 years , other than Npower - this is now 5 months ago
2) What effect will a U have on my file ? I am hoping to take some money out of the large amount of equity I have in my home for improvements and am unsure whether this will affect the application
This is worrying me as I am semi retired, have very little debt, a good income and don't want to harm my credit files with a turned down application
Many thanks all

Comments

• sonstream
    sonstream Posts: 133 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A "U" status simply means that they are unable to provide a payment status for the month(s) in question it's not seen as negative and is commonly recorded at the start of a new agreement when the company doesn't have enough information about the account to send to the CRA'S, it might be worth looking at the other history of the N-Power account in the 12 months previous to the account being settled
  • scarletsboy
    Options
    sonstream wrote: »
    A "U" status simply means that they are unable to provide a payment status for the month(s) in question it's not seen as negative and is commonly recorded at the start of a new agreement when the company doesn't have enough information about the account to send to the CRA'S, it might be worth looking at the other history of the N-Power account in the 12 months previous to the account being settled

Hi,
    Thanks for the reply- It shows a 0 for the whole of the term, other than 1 (May), when they claimed to have contacted me and then goes up monthly to a 5 for the Sept and an U for Oct . It also shows the file was last updated in the 27/11/16, which means they have not done as the Ombudsman has requested as their letter is dated for late Dec 2016 C8
  • mrmagooooooo
    Options
    How many missed payments are there? This is likely to cause a bit of trouble when looking for a loan.

You need to speak to the Ombudsman again. Npower need to Implement the Ombudsman decision within 28days or they will be fined and will continue to be fined every 28 days until they do.

Give the Ombudsman a call and see what they say.
  • scarletsboy
    Options
    How many missed payments are there? This is likely to cause a bit of trouble when looking for a loan.

You need to speak to the Ombudsman again. Npower need to Implement the Ombudsman decision within 28days or they will be fined and will continue to be fined every 28 days until they do.

Give the Ombudsman a call and see what they say.

Hi - there are 5 and then a U recorded for Oct

The range is May - 1 the up to Sept -5

I have spoken to Npower who say they have updated it and the Ombudsman have said they needed me to speak to Experian and Npower first- I am about to send an email to Ombudsman again as my file shows it was last updated on the 26/11 way before the finding
    It's doing my head in as I do not want to be turned down for a loan, as this will impact even more on my file
  • mrmagooooooo
    Options
    When was your credit file updated? What i mean is with the likes of Clearscore or other subscription credit file access these update once a month. Could it be that they have removed the missed payments and you just need to wait until your next refresh of credit file data?
  • sonstream
    sonstream Posts: 133 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    well the difficulty that you have is the 5 missed payments before hand as the response from the ombudsman doesn't state the period they want the creditfile to be amended it sounds like it has been amended to reflect the last month from when you paid the third party and they took a month to process/tell Npower might be worth going back to the ombudsman and push for the full 5 months that late payment markers show to be amended. The account will stay on your credit file for 6 years from the settlement date.
  • scarletsboy
    Options
    When was your credit file updated? What i mean is with the likes of Clearscore or other subscription credit file access these update once a month. Could it be that they have removed the missed payments and you just need to wait until your next refresh of credit file data?

My file was updated in Feb 2017, when I paid Experian £2 for it . It clearly shows payments I have made to other creditors in Jan and Feb of this year
  • scarletsboy
    Options
    sonstream wrote: »
    well the difficulty that you have is the 5 missed payments before hand as the response from the ombudsman doesn't state the period they want the creditfile to be amended it sounds like it has been amended to reflect the last month from when you paid the third party and they took a month to process/tell Npower might be worth going back to the ombudsman and push for the full 5 months that late payment markers show to be amended. The account will stay on your credit file for 6 years from the settlement date.

The Ombudsman instructed Npower to clarify the date payment was made to the third party and to add no more adverse credit history, passed this date. This if applied, will show 4 missed payments, but to me that's slightly better than 5 and an U applied

I have no faith in Npower as to me they have failed to act on the Ombudsman's instructions and if they are telling them they have done that, what else are they telling them they have done on other customers accounts
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure