Air con - needs regassing after 9 months

Options
MiniMum
MiniMum Posts: 24 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
Had air con regassed last June. Just tried to use it again and it is not getting cold. Could this be an issue with how to regassing was done or does it mean we have a leaK?

Comments

• Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    If it was regassed without any repair, then it must have had a leak.

They operate much the same was as a fridge/freezer, gas can't get out unless there is a leak.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Manufacturers generally recommend that you should run the air con for a bit every couple of weeks, presumably to prevent parts seizing up. Could that be what's happened here over the past nine months?
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,078 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Have you not used it since last summer? If not, I'm not surprised it's not working now. Use it all the time, all year round. The system contains coolant and a lubricant that lubraictes the seals. If you don't use the aircon for a long time, the seals dry out and coolant escapes.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,047 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    MiniMum wrote: »
    Had air con regassed last June. Just tried to use it again and it is not getting cold.

If you never use it, the gas leaks out gradually through the seals at the pump, you should use it all the time*, even in Winter, it simply stops working when the temperature is below freezing.

However, you could have a leaky pipe, as for all you know, the gas all escaped in October.

A regas at the fast -fit chains will test for a big leak, then see how it goes if you use it all the time.

*All the time if you have "climate control" it helps keep the windows demisted, at least every week if you have the manual "press snowflake button for cold air" type.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    MiniMum wrote: »
    Had air con regassed last June. Just tried to use it again and it is not getting cold. Could this be an issue with how to regassing was done or does it mean we have a leaK?
    How "cold" are you expecting it to be? It's not exactly sweltering outside.

If you want to confirm whether it has a leak or not then take it someone who knows what they're doing, eg, not kwikfit.
  • reeac
    reeac Posts: 1,430 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Strider590 wrote: »
    If it was regassed without any repair, then it must have had a leak.

They operate much the same was as a fridge/freezer, gas can't get out unless there is a leak.
    Fridges and freezers are welded or brazed closed with the motor inside. We have a fridge and a freezer which are both around 40 years old and run permanently in an outbuilding. Car a/c compressors are driven by a belt off the engine and so feature a seal on the shaft - that's the usual source of a leak especially if used infrequently. Many drivers are worried about the effect of a/c on fuel consumption but it's pretty trivial compared with driving style.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    reeac wrote: »
    Fridges and freezers are welded or brazed closed with the motor inside. We have a fridge and a freezer which are both around 40 years old and run permanently in an outbuilding. Car a/c compressors are driven by a belt off the engine and so feature a seal on the shaft - that's the usual source of a leak especially if used infrequently. Many drivers are worried about the effect of a/c on fuel consumption but it's pretty trivial compared with driving style.

So there is a leak ;)

My AC isn't used that much, once a week usually in winter. It doesn't affect the fuel consumption much at all, but it does make the engine noticeably less responsive.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Strider590 wrote: »
    My AC isn't used that much, once a week usually in winter. It doesn't affect the fuel consumption much at all, but it does make the engine noticeably less responsive.

AC uses around 4 hp. Unless the engine in your car is tiny, I'm surprised you notice.
  • henry24
    henry24 Posts: 322 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    People saying about fuel consumption when using air con what about this one, my in-laws live in Spain and years ago someone told them about air con and fuel so they never use it you ride round in there car covered in sweat it's like sitting in a oven. It can be 40c outside but your glad to get out of the car because it's cooler outside than in.
  • BeenThroughItAll
    Options
    henry24 wrote: »
    People saying about fuel consumption when using air con what about this one, my in-laws live in Spain and years ago someone told them about air con and fuel so they never use it you ride round in there car covered in sweat it's like sitting in a oven. It can be 40c outside but your glad to get out of the car because it's cooler outside than in.

Cool story bro.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport