Wrong Tariff with NPower

Options
Hi all

Really good friend of mine just got a shocking NPower bill.
She has been in the rented property for five years and has her gas/electricity with the same provider. I am getting NPower to look at her meter as her electricity is nearly double that of any of her previous four years in the property.

My question is, she stayed with the same provider as the previous tenants and is on the Standard Tariff and has been on it for five years. Looking at her bills now I notice she could have save well over £1,000 had she swapped to a different tariff with them and this year alone could have saved £600 and they estimate she could save over £700 next year

Are the energy company's under any obligation to say to her at any point she is on the wrong tariff or do they cover themselves by putting "Could you pay less?" on the first page?

Many thanks :)

Comments

• dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sorry, but Energy suppliers are under no obligation to advise customers of a cheaper tariff - All suppliers will put the new occupants of a dwelling onto the their expensive 'Standard Variable' tariff when they move in, the onus is on the customer change the tariff and/or supplier.

Energy use comparisions between one dwelling and another are impossible, unless that is the two dwellings are exactly the same
  • nPower
    nPower Posts: 1,319 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all

Really good friend of mine just got a shocking NPower bill.
    She has been in the rented property for five years and has her gas/electricity with the same provider. I am getting NPower to look at her meter as her electricity is nearly double that of any of her previous four years in the property.

My question is, she stayed with the same provider as the previous tenants and is on the Standard Tariff and has been on it for five years. Looking at her bills now I notice she could have save well over £1,000 had she swapped to a different tariff with them and this year alone could have saved £600 and they estimate she could save over £700 next year

Are the energy company's under any obligation to say to her at any point she is on the wrong tariff or do they cover themselves by putting "Could you pay less?" on the first page?

Many thanks :)

Hi alex knight,

Please ask your friend to contact us using the details on our profile page so we can help with their billing query.

Thanks

Jen :)
    Official Company Representative"
    I am the official company representative of nPower. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE.
    If we ask you to contact us, please do so using helpandsupport@npower.com - MSE Forum has temporarily allowed the display of our contact details in our signature due to a technical issue with our profile
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,106 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Is this years "double" due to estimated bills ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think suppliers now are obligated at least to say something like " there may be cheaper tariffs available " It does say something like this on statements and bills. I think OFGEM made this a rule a few years back but I don t think they are obliged to be specific and point you to cheaper tariffs.
    If someone has not elected to pay by direct debit then the suppliers can only offer standard/variable high tariffs or like BGs "Fix and Fall " which is virtually the same as SV.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think suppliers now are obligated at least to say something like " there may be cheaper tariffs available " It does say something like this on statements and bills. I think OFGEM made this a rule a few years back but I don t think they are obliged to be specific and point you to cheaper tariffs.
    If someone has not elected to pay by direct debit then the suppliers can only offer standard/variable high tariffs or like BGs "Fix and Fall " which is virtually the same as SV.
    My Npower bills do have a section which says that I could save £x if I switched to a certain tariff, but the statement is not true ,as my tariff is lower than that proposed. Like the misleading information (govt ruling) on comparison sites, the (mis-)information is based on going onto the standard tariff; something anyone using fixes is very unlikely to do.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure