Business Rates - can I claim?

Options
Hello, newbie here hoping someone can advise me please?
Until recently the property we let for our business had a rateable value of £12K, so we were above banding for the small business rates relief and had to pay the full whack. Now that the nationwide revaluations have been done, our new rateable value is £8K - a massive difference. Great news that we now qualify for full small business rates relief, but is there any way I can claim back for the extra money we have been paying for the last 3 years?
Thank you in advance!

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,648 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don't think so. Your new RV has no connection with the old RV on which your rates were based up to 31 March 2017.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • hunnie
    hunnie Posts: 222 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 12 March 2017 at 1:29PM
    Options
    Hi, was the RV incorrect before?
    Ours has gone from c£7000 when we paid a small amount each month, up to £8000+ where we will now pay nothing.
    I would have thought it was quite unusual for the RV to go down.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,648 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Some areas have seen commercial property rentals fall. If the 2010 RV is wrong the OP only has until 31 March 2017 to query it.

Another theory comes to mind in that there is a mistake with the 2017 RV and it is too low!
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure