Limescaled Shower

Hi all,

We have a 3 floor townhouse.
Hot water tank is on the middle floor.
Cold water tank is in the attic.

We have a shower cubicle on the middle floor with just a shower mixer (non power) and a hose.
We have a bath mixer on the top floor with a hose leading to the shower (non power).

We've been in the house for a year, and have noticed the pressure of the top floor shower (which was initially rubbish) get worse over time. We've cleaned the shower head, but I noticed the hose was actually blocked with limescale too!

It's easier to replace this than delimescale it. Is it possible to get antilimescale hoses/heads or do they just need regular cleaning?

Living in a hard water area, would the limescale just be contained to the shower heads and the hoses? Would I need to remove the bath/shower mixers and delimescale inside those too?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,965 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Wassa123 wrote: »
    It's easier to replace this than delimescale it. Is it possible to get antilimescale hoses/heads or do they just need regular cleaning?
    Yes it's easier and hoses can be bought pretty cheaply. If you want to clean them, leave them soaking overnight in vinegar. Get a couple of rubber bungs, fill the hose with vinegar, stopper it and leave overnight. Then rinse through. If you have something you can pass through it to agitate any limescale, all the better. Use something like a length of rope. Make sure you take off the washers at either end before doing any of this, and keep them safe. It's easy to lose them down the sink or elsewhere when you're cleaning the hose.

I'd leave the mixers to a plumber if you're not handy with that sort of thing. You might descale them but end up with a secondary problem through not knowing what you're doing. I've been there...
  • DonnySaver
    DonnySaver Posts: 562 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    To de-scale the shower head, get a small plastic bag, fill it with vinegar and then place the shower head in the bag. Secure the bag to the head with a good rubber band and leave overnight.
  • BoxerfanUK
    BoxerfanUK Posts: 685 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Check the internal bore size of your current shower hose. Most are only around 6 or 7mm internal diameter but you can buy ones with 11mm internal diameter which will give a greater flow rate which could improve things. Also check you have a high flow shower head as not all are the same.

I recently replaced mine from here..... currently shower heads on BOGOF 2 for £12.00 delivered.

http://www.showerpowerbooster.co.uk/product/2-the-wright-choice-stainless-steel-shower-hose/

http://www.showerpowerbooster.co.uk/product/shower-head-6-multispray-patterns-low-head-loss-best-test-cranfield-university/
  • I regularly use White vinegar and lemon juice to de scale, it needs to be there overnight if possible.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure