Difficulty filling in universal credit claim website.

Options
i have tried in VAIN to apply online for universal credit.

i have been told by two different telephone agents and even on the website that i should claim for

jsa
universal credit

i am single aged 38, i share (flatmate nothing to do with me wee just halve the council tax nothing more)/rent a private flat no kids etc etc.

has anyone else had extensive problems trying to fill in the online forms on universal credit website?

i have heard it take nearly 2 months for the first payment to come, why is it th tell you to wait until the last months pay haas arrived, i have had to wait 1 month. previously you claimed as soon as you knew you were going to be out of work on jsa.
My Signature is MY OWN!!

Comments

• The_Old_Bag
    The_Old_Bag Posts: 4,706 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I keep being told it depends where you are in the country.
    For me, if you try to apply on-line for JSA......it says you cannot, you have to apply for UC.
    You fill all the details in for UC......it says you cannot, you have to apply for JSA.....
    Their system just sends you round and round and round in circles.

Phone up to apply - an hour on hold hearing 'helpful' advice every 2 minutes that it is quicker to do it on line.

Complete joke.

It has been like this for over a year now.
  • NYM
    NYM Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i have tried in VAIN to apply online for universal credit.

i have been told by two different telephone agents and even on the website that i should claim for

jsa
    universal credit

i am single aged 38, i share (flatmate nothing to do with me wee just halve the council tax nothing more)/rent a private flat no kids etc etc.

has anyone else had extensive problems trying to fill in the online forms on universal credit website?

i have heard it take nearly 2 months for the first payment to come, why is it th tell you to wait until the last months pay haas arrived, i have had to wait 1 month. previously you claimed as soon as you knew you were going to be out of work on jsa.

Who told you to wait ?

I would have thought that the last day of work is when you should apply. Your final pay may be paid the following week/month depending on how you're paid normally.

I've read that if you claim for contributions based unemployment benefit then it would be 'new style' JSA and not UC.

Read this link....Benefits for people looking for work..
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    NYM wrote: »
    Who told you to wait ?

I would have thought that the last day of work is when you should apply. Your final pay may be paid the following week/month depending on how you're paid normally.

I've read that if you claim for contributions based unemployment benefit then it would be 'new style' JSA and not UC.

Read this link....Benefits for people looking for work..

Again I think it depends on which area you live in. Some areas have 'other conditions' attached to applying.

In this link there is a UC helpline where you can give your post code and explain your circumstances as well as some other useful information.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/universal-credit/before-you-apply/universal-credit-eligibility/
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Were you working before claiming UC and if so what hours did you work and how long were you in employment? If you are entitled to Contribution Based benefit it won't be a UC claim at all.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Interesting to read this link:

https://www.gov.uk/jobseekers-allowance/what-type-you-get

If you are single then you have to apply for the new style JSA which has to be done by telephone.

You can receive this alongside your UC (for example if you are also eligible for HB)

The new style JSA is then counted as income for UC and deducted £ for £.

Having said that have to admit that no one seems to know what they are doing as regards to UC!
  • slenderkitten
    slenderkitten Posts: 1,051 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I did the 20 million questions twice, the first time said i need to apply for jsa the other one said universal one. i have tried to fill it in online it asks if you are going ot get more than £338 you cannot apply until you receive this money,my last working day was 31st January but i didn't get paid til last day of february.

i do not have kids, i do not have a partner i flat share, my own furniture is in storage (this is my main concern) i am also having to apply for a council flat as i have hip dysplasia (shallow hip sockets) in both hips i need to have either a right - hip replacement or a PAO Peri-Acetabular Osteomy (preserves hip for longer before eventually requiring hip replacement) - in other words break the pelvis surrounding the hip around the socket and rotate to cover more of the hip ball which is significantly longer to recover from and only normally offered to people under age 40 with enough cartlidge i'm waiting for consultation as there only a handful of surgeons in uk that do it and only 2 in scotland I will require care at home, the stairs in my current private flat will be difficult, the flooring in the bathroom is extremely slippery i wont be able to get into the bath, the owner keeps letting himself in to collect the rent in cash every week, he does not declare all his taxes obviously. i dont have any family closer than 250 miles to me and obviously lack of privacy with sharing is not ideal.

so yes a lot of problems for me to deal with and i do not know who to turn to.
    My Signature is MY OWN!!
  • Mersey_2
    Mersey_2 Posts: 1,679 Forumite
    Options
    PILON does not prevent claiming - sadly you were wrongly informed.

You're entitled to JSA, but the DWP probably need to do this manually ie a clerical claim by them - either over the 'phone or at a JCP office.

Apply for backdating too as the reason you didn't previously is that you were wrongly informed by a DWP employee. Raise a complaint if you want too, as the £ owed should either be paid as backdating or via a consolatory payment for their maladministration.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure