Capquest letter chasing debt

Options
rhysayres
rhysayres Posts: 6 Forumite
edited 30 January 2017 at 1:02PM in Debt-free wannabe
I hope this post is in the right section, apologies if not.

My wife has recently received a letter in the post (dated 24 January) from a Debt Collection Agency called Capquest. It's asking for payment of £743 from an outstanding debt with Arrow Global Limited.

My wife does not know what this debt is and has never even heard of Arrow Global. We have just created an account on Noodle so we could check her credit report. There is an entry for Arrow Global LTD with the same amount as the current balance stated on the letter.

The date the debt started is recorded as 03/08/12 and the default date is 31/12/15. It looks like this is having a negative effect on her credit score and is the only entry not marked 'up to date'. There is no history on this entry either, it shows as default in January this year but noting prior to that.

There has been no communication from either Arrow or Capquest prior to this and we have been at the same address since before the debt start date. There has been no contact from any other companies asking for payment in that time either so we are unsure where the debt has come from.

I have seen a couple of other threads regarding this company but can't see any examples where the actual debt isn't referenced. Has anyone else been in this or a similar situation? Any advice on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated as we are not sure what to do or who to contact.

Thank you.

Comments

• MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Arrow buy up debts so will not be the original debtor - does your wife have ANY debts that she has not paid as far as you're aware or has she always been religiously good with her money?

I think your first port of call should be a "prove it" letter http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2607247

It's entirely possible that Arrow and Capquest have managed to get this connected to to wrong debtor - if you're absolutely certain she has no debts (and tell her to be honest!!!!) then you can also contest it on her credit files (you need to do all 3 of them...)
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • CakeCrusader
    CakeCrusader Posts: 1,118 Forumite
    Options
    Arrow (Capquest is just another arm of Arrow) have bought up old student loans from the 1990s, has she ever had a student loan?

She can write to Capquest, deny all knowledge of the debt and ask them for proof that she owes this, as MrsTinks as said above :)
  • rhysayres
    rhysayres Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 30 January 2017 at 1:23PM
    Options
    Thank you for the replies MrsTinks and CakeCrusader. She had some debts in the past but these were cleared way before the dates referenced by Capquest (circa 2009 I believe). The only other debt she currently has is a couple of credit cards but these are up to date on payments etc.

She applied for a credit card a few weeks ago for a balance transfer and the contact from Capquest seems to coincide with that (she was approved for the card so I doubt the Capquest entry showed on her file at that time).

She does have a student loan but not from the 1990's. She finished university in 2012. We have up to date correspondence for this so it shouldn't have been passed to a DCA.

We will send a 'prove it' letter from your link and see what they come back with.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,887 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi,

Yes, send the provit letter and see what they come back to you with.

I would be interested to know.

Please keep us updated.

thanks.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • rhysayres
    Options
    Hello all, sorry for the lack of updates on this. We have written and have received the following letters to Capquest:

30/01/17 - Sent - 'Prove it' letter

03/02/17 - Received - Letter stating that the debt relates to a Debenhams store card and that a copy of the agreement would be sent in due course. Said that account was put on hold until 04/03/17.

03/03/17 - Sent - Letter asking for statements/signed credit agreement to prove debt.

14/03/17 - Received - Letter stating that original credit agreement and statements have been requested and will be sent in due course.

My wife did have a Debenhams card back in 2012 but we no longer have any of the statements from this, as far as we know the balance was cleared and the card closed. We have tried calling Debenhams but all they can tell us is that the account has been closed.

There is a small chance that there could be money owed as we don't have the final statements showing the account closed with zero balance. We have given Capquest over a month to provide the documents proving the debt but have still not received anything. We are not sure what the next steps would be with this.

What would you advise we do next? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,887 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    rhysayres wrote: »
    Hello all, sorry for the lack of updates on this. We have written and have received the following letters to Capquest:

30/01/17 - Sent - 'Prove it' letter

03/02/17 - Received - Letter stating that the debt relates to a Debenhams store card and that a copy of the agreement would be sent in due course. Said that account was put on hold until 04/03/17.

03/03/17 - Sent - Letter asking for statements/signed credit agreement to prove debt.

14/03/17 - Received - Letter stating that original credit agreement and statements have been requested and will be sent in due course.

My wife did have a Debenhams card back in 2012 but we no longer have any of the statements from this, as far as we know the balance was cleared and the card closed. We have tried calling Debenhams but all they can tell us is that the account has been closed.

There is a small chance that there could be money owed as we don't have the final statements showing the account closed with zero balance. We have given Capquest over a month to provide the documents proving the debt but have still not received anything. We are not sure what the next steps would be with this.

Wait until they contact you again.

It could be they cannot obtain what you have asked for.

Wait and see how they respond.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,504 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    rhysayres wrote: »

Nothing.

It's been 3 months since you sent the first prove-it. They've produced nothing. The paperwork probably no longer exists and the debt would be difficult to enforce.

If they do produce something, come back for more advice. The critical date will be when your wife last made a payment.
  • rhysayres
    Options
    Thanks for the prompt replies. I am inclined to agree that they would have sent the documents by now if they could get hold of them.

The only issue is the default against my wife, does she just have to live with it or is there a way to contest it if Capquest cannot provide proof of the debt?
  • joe90210
    Options
    I had an issue last year where they took 9 months to produce the documents. I have to say though despite reading major criticism about them, theyve really been ok to deal with...very very nice
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure