PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

MJP Conveyancing - Any good?

Options
I am just about to start the frightening process of buying my first home and am looking at using MJP Conveyancing. I have not seen any threads on this particular Online Group so thought it best to ask for opinions.

Many thanks for your help.

Comments

• eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,450 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    They seem to have good trustpilot reviews - but did an Estate Agent refer you to them?

If so, I would have a couple of concerns...

Looking at: http://www.mjpconveyancing.com/documents/leaflet-ors.pdf

1. It sounds they pay a £100 referral fee to EAs. So you are essentially paying them an extra £100 for them to pass on to the EA. (But maybe that's similar to what other conveyancers would spend on advertising costs anyway.)

2. They say to EAs...
    Once agreed, you can track the progress of your client’s transactions as well as manage your referral fee pipeline … all from the comfort of your computer.

Depending on how much detail they give the EA, I'm not sure that I want the EA to see the progress of my transaction. There's scope for a conflict of interest.

I would rather be in control of the information that gets passed to the EA.

But I can see that other people may be less bothered about this.
  • WreckDiver
    Options
    Thank you eddddy,

No, they were not recommended to me by the Estate Agent. I found them on a comparison site. I like the idea of being able to track the progress online, but I am also a pessimist so am now leaning towards a Local Solicitor who's office I can walk into during my lunch break.

Thank you for your advise. Much appreciated.
  • Richard_Webster
    Options
    Being able to check progress online is only a help if you really understand the process and the significance of the information being given.

If the online message tells you that such and such a thing has happened you may think matters are further ahead than they really are.

Best thing is to Google "Conveyancing Solicitors [name of your town]" and phone a few to ask what they would charge - ask for a full breakdown. See how helpful they are - whether they tell you about extras - ask you who you are getting your mortgage with, whether property freehold or leasehold, etc.

If the solicitors are really miles away and you phone and get no answers, you cannot go to their office and stay there until you get an answer.
    RICHARD WEBSTER

As a retired conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful assuming any properties concerned are in England/Wales but I accept no liability for it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure