IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Gladstones Letter before Claim

Options

Comments

• Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you have the case numbers for the two quoted cases in para 9, it would help.

You refer to the IPC CoP. Make sure you have copies of that for court and you may wish to attach the relevant section with your papers.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,747 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    12 and 19 appear to repeat #4, so remove repetition. And I don't like this (written by someone else I know, so I would remove this line):
    The Court is invited to report Glastones to the Solicitors’ Regulation Authority for this deliberate attempt to mislead the Court, in contravention of their Code of Conduct.

Once the repetition is weeded out, you have covered the bases. Email and/or post the defence, do not try to use MCOL as it truncates all the wording into a big pile of words! Does not look readable for the Judge, so follow the advice for defences as set out by bargepole, in the links under 'Small Claim?' in the NEWBIES thread.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • maily
    maily Posts: 36 Forumite
    Options
    Guys_Dad wrote: »
    If you have the case numbers for the two quoted cases in para 9, it would help.

You refer to the IPC CoP. Make sure you have copies of that for court and you may wish to attach the relevant section with your papers.

Thank you i will try and find the case numbers. I wonder if i can reference further cases or do i not want to go to over board with this :-)
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    12 and 19 appear to repeat #4, so remove repetition. And I don't like this (written by someone else I know, so I would remove this line):

Once the repetition is weeded out, you have covered the bases. Email and/or post the defence, do not try to use MCOL as it truncates all the wording into a big pile of words! Does not look readable for the Judge, so follow the advice for defences as set out by bargepole, in the links under 'Small Claim?' in the NEWBIES thread.
    I have removed the line as instructed and got rid of 12 and 19.

My point 4 now looks like this:

4. The Defendant therefore disputes the amount claimed, as it comprises excessive and non-contractual elements, and additional costs must be proved.
    The Claimant has claimed a £50 legal representative’s cost on the claim form, despite being well aware that CPR 27.14 does not permit such charges to be recovered in the Small Claims Court.
    The Defendant also has the reasonable belief that the Claimant has not incurred the stated additional costs and it is put to strict proof that they have actually been incurred.

The Defendant also has a good faith belief that due to the sparse particulars the £50 claimed for filing the claim has not been incurred. This appears to be an attempt at double recovery as a way to inflate the value of the claim. The solicitor has been incompetent and is not due £50. In the alternative, the Claimant is put to strict proof to show how this cost has been incurred.

Even if they have been incurred, the Claimant has described them as "legal expenses". These cannot be recovered in the Small Claims Court

a) Additionally, as this is already included as part of the costs of the claimant, factored into the £100 parking charge, this is essentially double charging.
    b) The £50 solicitor cost was disputed in the test case of ParkingEye v Beavis and Wardley. HHJ Moloney refused to award the £50.
    c) The £50 was also struck out by DJ Sparrow on 19 August 2015 in ParkingEye v Mrs S, claim number B9FC508F.
  • maily
    Options
    Also are there any other points i should incorporate into my defense do you think or is it sufficient? I wasn't sure whether to mention that the defendant was accompanied by a one year old child but not sure how that would help her defense in the eyes of judge?

I guess more for in court also i would argue that a time stamped picture from a digital camera is not evidence that we over stayed?
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    The drive already appears to be admitted so it would not hurt to add a factual reason for taking longer, due to having a young infant with them. I shouldn't think it will make much difference but if the Defendant is going to mention that at the hearing, put it in now to be consistent with the facts.

Make sure you follow what bargepole explains about what happens when, how to complete the various court forms along the way and not missing the later (pre-hearing) stage where your wife must submit a witness statement and her evidence (photos of signs etc.).
  • maily
    Options
    Not sure how to add that in does this look okay?

14. The defendant also wishes the court to acknowledge that she had her one year old child with her on the day of the alleged incident.
  • maily
    Options
    Hey Guys,

We have received the N180 form from Gladstones and the court.

on the court one i'll follow the aadvice on the bargepole thread however for this:

D3 = 1 witness (that’s you) (or more if you are going to get another person to provide a statement)

Do i need to put myself on it too so i can represent her and give evidence etc?

Also is this a case of filling in the physical form and making a copy and sending them out or can it be done digitally or online etc????
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    Do i need to put myself on it too so i can represent her and give evidence etc?
    No, if you are planning on being her 'lay rep' (to speak for her, but she has to be there) then you are not a witness. You would need to take a copy of the Lay Reps Order (because not all courts know this is an option, as it isn't the same thing as the more common Mackenzie friend). For an example of a case won where a wife acted as a lay rep with her husband as Defendant, read the thread by Gin and Milk. They won! So did Josie someone, same sort of thing.
    Also is this a case of filling in the physical form and making a copy and sending them out or can it be done digitally or online etc????

You can email a DQ to the court and to Gladstones, using the CCBC email:

ccbcaq@hmcts.gsi.gov.uk

and whatever email you can find for Gladstones.
  • maily
    Options
    Thank you Coupon-Mad appreciate it.

Have another Silly question on the form it asks if there any days within the next six months when you are not able to attend a hearing? My wife is pregnant and is due for September. Is it acceptable to block out that entire month? I will include an explanation on my e-mail when i sent the form across. Ideally id block out October too as i don't think so soon after giving Birth she would be happy to attend? Is this reasonable on my part?

I figured as you never quite know when the baby will come and if we miss the court date if it was September.
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    Sounds very reasonable!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure