Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dannyjebb
    • By dannyjebb 10th Jan 17, 7:16 PM
    • 383Posts
    • 82Thanks
    dannyjebb
    Engagement ring question
    • 10th Jan 17, 7:16 PM
    Engagement ring question 10th Jan 17 at 7:16 PM
    Hi all

We got engaged at Christmas and I struggled to find a ring as I have real issues with buying diamonds for ethical issues. I ended up with a sterling silver lab created sapphire ring, but the sapphire was a little big for her liking so have returned it. We have been looking since and finding it hard to find anything suitable. We have decided it will definitely be either a lab created diamond or clear sapphire. We don't really want precious metals such as platinum or gold for their non environmentally friendly background, from reading a bit more silver seems to have the same problems.

We looked at titanium but then would have the problem that it's unable to be resized and dangerous if a ring needs to be removed quickly if a finger swells. Ideally it would be a argentium sterling silver that has been recycled and a lab created gem.

Out of interest from reading up I have read that white golf and platinum plated rings can need re plating yearly?? This seems a bit bizarre if people are paying 000s for a ring and then paying to have it replated yearly.

Can anyone recommend a retailer that could supply a lab created diamond from argentium sterling silver? I am not having much luck looking online

Many thanks
Page 2
    • davomcdave
    • By davomcdave 11th Jan 17, 11:56 AM
    • 577 Posts
    • 1,075 Thanks
    davomcdave
    Hi all

We got engaged at Christmas and I struggled to find a ring as I have real issues with buying diamonds for ethical issues. I ended up with a sterling silver lab created sapphire ring, but the sapphire was a little big for her liking so have returned it. We have been looking since and finding it hard to find anything suitable. We have decided it will definitely be either a lab created diamond or clear sapphire. We don't really want precious metals such as platinum or gold for their non environmentally friendly background, from reading a bit more silver seems to have the same problems.

We looked at titanium but then would have the problem that it's unable to be resized and dangerous if a ring needs to be removed quickly if a finger swells. Ideally it would be a argentium sterling silver that has been recycled and a lab created gem.

Out of interest from reading up I have read that white golf and platinum plated rings can need re plating yearly?? This seems a bit bizarre if people are paying 000s for a ring and then paying to have it replated yearly.

Can anyone recommend a retailer that could supply a lab created diamond from argentium sterling silver? I am not having much luck looking online

Many thanks
    Originally posted by dannyjebb
    I think your commitment to getting an ethical ring is wonderful and beautiful but ultimately no matter what material it's made from could be criticised on environmental or ethical grounds. As others have said perhaps an antique ring could be the solution as at least you are not adding to the problem by having a new object created for you.
    • maman
    • By maman 11th Jan 17, 5:02 PM
    • 18,004 Posts
    • 107,724 Thanks
    maman
    I'd agree that buying second hand (unless there's a family heirloom available) is a way to go. You can't undo the past but better to recycle than buy new.

What concerns me is that it's OP's views only that we've heard. Of course you need to be comfortable with the situation but it's your fianc!e that's going to wear the ring not you. What does she want?
    • Kaye1
    • By Kaye1 11th Jan 17, 6:31 PM
    • 513 Posts
    • 1,306 Thanks
    Kaye1
    Why not try your local auction house? Re-using the precious metals to either re-make a ring or just buy one you/your partner likes.

Not using resources but re-using what has already been mined.
    • suejb2
    • By suejb2 11th Jan 17, 8:17 PM
    • 1,386 Posts
    • 2,111 Thanks
    suejb2
    ring
    I Googled ethical engagement rings and a few sites came up, serendipity was one that caught my eye. How about a tattoo on the ring finger? I have my wedding date but it could be any design.
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
    • BobbyTheHamster
    • By BobbyTheHamster 11th Jan 18, 7:49 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    BobbyTheHamster
    I know this is an old thread, but I can't see that a gold alloy should ever need replating.

Gold is alloyed with other metals to give the colour and purity they want, and the colour must go all through,like a stick of rock.

Some rings seem to be sterling silver, then plated, and a yellow or rose gold PLATED wedding/engagement ring would most likely start to show the underlying silver after a number of years. You see some really old wedding bands that get very thin after 30/40 years

Given the cost high of actual diamonds, I would be surprised if anyone considered matching real diamonds with silver.
    • WillowCat
    • By WillowCat 11th Jan 18, 9:18 PM
    • 808 Posts
    • 984 Thanks
    WillowCat
    24ct (i.e. pure) gold is yellow. There's no getting away from this fact.

White gold is, yes, created from alloying gold with other metals but it is impossible to get it blindingly white. 9ct white gold of a good alloy is a creamy pale yellow, and 18ct is a bit like a steel colour.

In order to get the very white colour it is plated with rhodium. This is the plating that wears off and needs to be redone at intervals.

It seems that the fashion for the rhodium plating has encouraged some manufacturers to use some poorer alloys as 'it get covered up anyway'. A white gold ring from many years ago would not have been plated and would have started as a better quality alloy (but would not have been white white).
    • Eric_the_half_a_bee
    • By Eric_the_half_a_bee 11th Jan 18, 9:20 PM
    • 1,143 Posts
    • 5,894 Thanks
    Eric_the_half_a_bee
    but the sapphire was a little big for her liking
    Originally posted by dannyjebb
    Marry her as soon as possible
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 11th Jan 18, 9:42 PM
    • 3,642 Posts
    • 9,954 Thanks
    LilElvis
    I know this is an old thread, but I can't see that a gold alloy should ever need replating.

Gold is alloyed with other metals to give the colour and purity they want, and the colour must go all through,like a stick of rock.

Some rings seem to be sterling silver, then plated, and a yellow or rose gold PLATED wedding/engagement ring would most likely start to show the underlying silver after a number of years. You see some really old wedding bands that get very thin after 30/40 years

Given the cost high of actual diamonds, I would be surprised if anyone considered matching real diamonds with silver.
    Originally posted by BobbyTheHamster
    It's white gold that needs replating. White gold isn't totally "white", it has a pale yellow tinge so is plated to make it whiter, usually with rhodium. The frequency with which a white gold piece needs replating is going to depend on the depth and quality and the amount of wear it receives.
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 11th Jan 18, 9:46 PM
    • 3,642 Posts
    • 9,954 Thanks
    LilElvis
    24ct (i.e. pure) gold is yellow. There's no getting away from this fact.

White gold is, yes, created from alloying gold with other metals but it is impossible to get it blindingly white. 9ct white gold of a good alloy is a creamy pale yellow, and 18ct is a bit like a steel colour.

In order to get the very white colour it is plated with rhodium. This is the plating that wears off and needs to be redone at intervals.

It seems that the fashion for the rhodium plating has encouraged some manufacturers to use some poorer alloys as 'it get covered up anyway'. A white gold ring from many years ago would not have been plated and would have started as a better quality alloy (but would not have been white white).
    Originally posted by WillowCat

I've got a couple of good quality white gold pieces that are nearly 100 years old and they are plated. It's more apparent on rings than other pieces owing to the wear.
    • WolfSong2000
    • By WolfSong2000 12th Jan 18, 1:03 PM
    • 1,663 Posts
    • 1,997 Thanks
    WolfSong2000
    Using diamonds as a demonstration of love/engagement is a relatively new phenomena. It's the result of a phenomenally successful marketing campaign by DeBeers who own/control the vast majority of diamonds/production.

The Kimberley process was introduced years ago as a way to avoid so called "blood diamonds" but in reality it's utter b*llocks and I don't trust it at all. Best bet for ethically sourced diamonds is possibly getting something like Alaskan diamonds if you want genuine though there may be issues with how they're mined in terms of damage to landscape/wildlife. Not sure - you'd have to do more research.

Lab created diamonds or even cubic zirconia at a push would be fine. Average joe on the street can't tell the difference between diamonds and CZ for starters.
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 12th Jan 18, 6:45 PM
    • 1,819 Posts
    • 1,967 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    I really admire your principles. Whatever you buy will have caused environmental damage to some degree though.
    How about wood? I saw a website that has wedding rings made from salvaged wood, they look pretty cool. Would definitely be different and a great talking point!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 13th Jan 18, 9:09 AM
    • 20,187 Posts
    • 54,176 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I really admire your principles. Whatever you buy will have caused environmental damage to some degree though.
    How about wood? I saw a website that has wedding rings made from salvaged wood, they look pretty cool. Would definitely be different and a great talking point!
    Originally posted by Fireflyaway
    The OP was looking for an engagement ring a year ago.

The thread was brought back to life a couple of days ago by a comment on replating gold.

As the OP;s fiancee has probably been wearing her engagement ring for a year, nobody is looking for a ring.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,325Posts Today

6,856Users online

Martin's Twitter