Engagement ring question

Options

Comments

• dannyjebb
    Options
    Judi wrote: »
    Mine lasted 18 months and was yellow.

Seems very hit and miss from reading online have read about people spending £1k plus and needing their ring re plated after less than a year. I would of thought some kind of warranty would cover this! I suppose the main money you are paying is for the diamond :(
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If she wants some jewellery to mark the engagement, does it have to be a ring?

You might have more luck with a locket or necklace or bracelet.
  • Perryface
    Options
    I'd say yes to this
    https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/271016951/raw-stone-engagement-ring-raw-stone-ring?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=brass%20engagement%20ring&ref=sr_gallery_20

But etsy have plenty of handmade or vintage engagement rings to choose from. Have a mooch through the site, you could probably commission 'a one of a kind' ring from a lot of the sellers.

Wedding payment 1000/4600 due 21/0718
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,067 Forumite
    Options
    LilElvis wrote: »
    Probably not as gem/precious metal miners would have had even worse working conditions than they do today, plus plundering of assets by nasty imperialist nations.
    True enough, but it reduces current damage to our planet (and it has given our OP pause for thought).
    LilElvis wrote: »
    A Haribo would probably be safest. :p
    :rotfl: well, she'd have a good excuse for never doing the washing up!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • arbrighton
    arbrighton Posts: 2,011 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you're looking for vintage/ secondhand/ antique, the web is not the way to go. I think a trawl round local jewellers is probably more likely to yield results

Oh, and are you sure there are no ethical considerations for titanium too? Personally, wouldn't think of titanium as particularly feminine. OH has it for his wedding ring but he's a bit geeky about metals which is why he chose it. Relatively cheap too. And the finger swelling thing. Well, only jewellery he's ever worn and he takes it off quite a bit. Take ring off if getting too tight. It's a symbol, not the actual marriage. I take my rings off too as I'd get horrible blisters under them from rowing. As an aside, there are a series of scratches in our wash basin where he's put his hand while shaving, from the ring

As for haribo. Ermm, contain gelatine so not suitable for vegetarians/ vegans and massive conservation issues from sugar plantations. So ethically unsound too
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,724 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    dannyjebb wrote: »
    Hi all

We got engaged at Christmas and I struggled to find a ring as I have real issues with buying diamonds for ethical issues. I ended up with a sterling silver lab created sapphire ring, but the sapphire was a little big for her liking so have returned it. We have been looking since and finding it hard to find anything suitable. We have decided it will definitely be either a lab created diamond or clear sapphire. We don't really want precious metals such as platinum or gold for their non environmentally friendly background, from reading a bit more silver seems to have the same problems.
    Are your ethical issues about blood diamonds or is it something else?

Lots of places don't sell blood diamonds nowadays.

Here's a website that sells loose diamonds (there are loads more, I just remember this one because they were on Dragons Den years ago) - here's their statement on blood diamonds:
    http://www.diamondgeezer.com/information/?s=NO+Blood+Diamonds
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,067 Forumite
    Options
    BTW, the obvious answer is in Call the Midwife Christmas show: vicar gave one of the nurses a ring made from grass when he proposed, because Trixie told him, whatever he did, NOT to give his beloved something pre-owned. There's more to the story than that, of course ...
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • hugonellie
    Options
    you can get handmade wooden engagement rings if that's any use :)
  • caprikid1
    caprikid1 Posts: 2,139 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Why do you need a ring ??? Tattoo ? Necklace ?
  • davomcdave
    Options
    dannyjebb wrote: »
    Hi all

We got engaged at Christmas and I struggled to find a ring as I have real issues with buying diamonds for ethical issues. I ended up with a sterling silver lab created sapphire ring, but the sapphire was a little big for her liking so have returned it. We have been looking since and finding it hard to find anything suitable. We have decided it will definitely be either a lab created diamond or clear sapphire. We don't really want precious metals such as platinum or gold for their non environmentally friendly background, from reading a bit more silver seems to have the same problems.

We looked at titanium but then would have the problem that it's unable to be resized and dangerous if a ring needs to be removed quickly if a finger swells. Ideally it would be a argentium sterling silver that has been recycled and a lab created gem.

Out of interest from reading up I have read that white golf and platinum plated rings can need re plating yearly?? This seems a bit bizarre if people are paying 000s for a ring and then paying to have it replated yearly.

Can anyone recommend a retailer that could supply a lab created diamond from argentium sterling silver? I am not having much luck looking online :(

Many thanks

I think your commitment to getting an ethical ring is wonderful and beautiful but ultimately no matter what material it's made from could be criticised on environmental or ethical grounds. As others have said perhaps an antique ring could be the solution as at least you are not adding to the problem by having a new object created for you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure