2017 - Spend less, live more

Options

Comments

• chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Preparing for half term

My children have half term next week. They are in Year 2 and reception, so I'm still fumbling around with plans. I want to try and get organised, now that I have to manage two children:

Childcare - We've got this half term covered, between me and OH and other family members. There's going to be some running around, but we'll manage.

Food - I've noticed our food bill goes up during school holidays. The children don't eat much, they graze and this can be costly. I'm going to focus on filling them up with proper foods to keep costs down.

Activities - I have a couple of day trips written down. I'll make sure I bring packed lunches etc to keep costs down. We will also have a 'down time' at home.

Organisation - this weekend, I'm going to have a clear out and keep on top of housework whilst the children are off. Plus make sure the children tidy up after themselves.
  • pennywisepoundstupid
    Options
    Morning chanie, I remember my 2 when they were younger would graze during the holidays and then when it came to a meal would pick, something I used to do and still try to do although harder with teenagers is I try to feed them the same time they would eat at school, as this is what there body is used to. so breakfast, then a snack around 10.30, lunch at 12, snack at 3/3.30pm and then evening meal at usual time, it helped keep them in a routine and they knew when they were gong to eat. Also made sure they were constantly drinking as kids can mistake being thirsty for hunger. Now with teenagers its much harder to regulate but I try and have easy snacks in view that are healthier, so fruit/veg sticks prepped at the front of the fridge in easy view, crumpets, teacakes left on the work top, although they do go digging for crisps and chocolate once these have gone.
    Mortgage Jan 2023 9yrs 11mths £61,389 Mortgage overpayment £1867/£3600 Mortgage Jan 2022 11yrs 6mths £69.996 Mortgage overpayment £3132/£3600
  • chanie
    Options
    That's a great tip, thanks penny.

Before I forget, I need to record some spends:
    £5 on fruit from the market - 2 punnets of strawberries and raspberries each, Clementines, a huge bag of blueberries. Most will have gone before the weekend.
    £9 on loo roll. I normally buy the 24 pack of Charmin, which is £10 in lidl, but £9 in the shop next door, so I saved £1!!!
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 17 February 2017 at 11:50PM
    Options
    Are you staying in London for the week? We are off too. First two days here then down to inlaws for 2/3 days back Friday. I'm after tips for Tuesday if you hear of anything cool in town.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,560 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Bobarella wrote: »
    Are you staying in London for the week? We are off too. First two days here then down to inalws for 2/3 days back Friday. I'm after tips for Tuesday if you hear of anything cool in town.

It's worth googling "free things to do in London with kids" - there's loads of sites.

Denise
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks I will!
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • chanie
    Options
    £45 supermarket spend today. Mainly bread, milk and snacks to see the children through half term. They will only be at home 3 days next week, as they will be with family the rest of the time. Plus, I get paid next week.

So far, we've spent under £300 on all food, household and laundry items this month, which is about £75 a week. That's much better than I though, but there is room for improvements.
  • chanie
    Options
    a frugal gift

I bought a couple of bath bombs from Home Bargains for 59p. They looked rather 'cheap' in the plastic wrapper, so I unwrapped them and re-wrapped them using some brown paper from IKEA, which I used to wrap my purchases. This gave the bath bombs a nice homemade, craft feel.

I thought they made a good generic gift and a bargain one at that!!
  • zippygeorgeandben
    Options
    Take them to the Museum of Childhood in Bethnal Green. Very hands on. Central Line.
    Savings as of April 2023 Savings account - £26460.50(14474.88)Current account - £2140.24(4576.79)Total - £28600.74(19051.67) £1010 (£65pm CS/BS) £250 CS/BS/JS
  • chanie
    Options
    The children were given some clothing vouchers for Xmas. Looking online tonight and the store was offering 20% off plus free delivery, so I will add that to my sigbature.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure