Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • no1catman
    • By no1catman 5th Dec 16, 1:40 PM
    • 2,671Posts
    • 2,038Thanks
    no1catman
    0 WOW
    Buying CD Albums
    • 5th Dec 16, 1:40 PM
    0 WOW
    Buying CD Albums 5th Dec 16 at 1:40 PM
    Where's the best place/website to buy CD albums.

The supermarkets - Tesco etc. concentrate mainly on the charts, with Tesco.com having a surprisingly sparse 'back catalogue'.

HMV, are probably the best for the range available in-store (maybe now the only national retail option!

Is Amazon the only option for older material? Mind you, with some second-hand values surprised there hasn't been more re-mastered releases!
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 5th Dec 16, 2:44 PM
    • 16,827 Posts
    • 17,825 Thanks
    zx81
    • 5th Dec 16, 2:44 PM
    • 5th Dec 16, 2:44 PM
    What about one of the recycling sites - eg musicmagpie?. Depends on how pristine you want them.
    • devonsoo
    • By devonsoo 30th Dec 16, 3:35 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    devonsoo
    • 30th Dec 16, 3:35 PM
    • 30th Dec 16, 3:35 PM
    Don't buy from WOWHD! Their "UK" website seems to be a front. If you buy from them the stuff comes from abroad, and can take weeks unless you pay for outrageously priced "expedited shipping". If the package comes too late you are expected to return the items to the United States, which will probably cost you more than the refund.

If you opt for free delivery they give you a tracking number which doesn't work, and change the delivery time after you've ordered from "8-15 days" to "10-20 business days or possibly up to 45 business days". Their "customer services" staff are rude and patronising.

The sad thing is they used to be good, fast, and cheap. I ordered 2 cds for Christmas which didn't come in time, I had to order from Amazon instead, and now I'm stuck with 2 cds I don't want as it would cost me more to send them back than they cost in the first place.

Avoid like the plague!
    • prowla
    • By prowla 30th Dec 16, 4:22 PM
    • 9,746 Posts
    • 7,805 Thanks
    prowla
    • 30th Dec 16, 4:22 PM
    • 30th Dec 16, 4:22 PM
    Look for independent local shops.
    • 20aday
    • By 20aday 1st Jan 17, 8:47 AM
    • 2,192 Posts
    • 911 Thanks
    20aday
    • 1st Jan 17, 8:47 AM
    • 1st Jan 17, 8:47 AM
    Music Magpie also have a range of shops: That's Entertainment.

I've grabbed a handful of Now CDs over the past couple of years-70% of them appear "as good as new".
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
    • Martinslovechild
    • By Martinslovechild 2nd Jan 17, 10:55 PM
    • 1,538 Posts
    • 1,623 Thanks
    Martinslovechild
    • 2nd Jan 17, 10:55 PM
    • 2nd Jan 17, 10:55 PM
    Depending on what kind of music you're looking to purchase, take a look at Norman Records, Piccadilly Records, Action Records, Banquet Records, Discogs, Rhythm Online.

I've used all of these at one time or another and can recommend them all.

eBay is always worth a look if you're after a particular back catalogue item. Discogs is also excellent for this, though you will of course pay higher prices for rarer items.
    Last edited by Martinslovechild; 02-01-2017 at 10:58 PM.
    Mortgage Feb 2001 - 129,000
    Mortgage July 2007 - 0
    Original Mortgage Termination Date - Nov 2018
    Mortgage Interest saved - 63790.60
    ISA Profit since Jan 1st 2015 - 69.6% (updated 17 May 2018)
    Save 12K in 2018 Challenger #111 - 7,100/20,000 (updated 30 Apr 2018)
    • Newusername1
    • By Newusername1 8th Apr 17, 8:19 PM
    • 128 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    Newusername1
    • 8th Apr 17, 8:19 PM
    • 8th Apr 17, 8:19 PM
    MusicMagpie are the best, I go on ebay and buy from them, they sometimes do BOGOF's for about 1.50, all the old stuff, I have a PS3 I upload to and use ITunes, so effectively get it digital just use the CD's to upload from.
    • London50
    • By London50 9th Apr 17, 9:13 PM
    • 1,579 Posts
    • 1,517 Thanks
    London50
    • 9th Apr 17, 9:13 PM
    • 9th Apr 17, 9:13 PM
    Also {if you have the time} check out charity shops, it is surprising both what you can find and the prices
    • Backbiter
    • By Backbiter 17th Apr 17, 1:52 AM
    • 1,255 Posts
    • 670 Thanks
    Backbiter
    • 17th Apr 17, 1:52 AM
    • 17th Apr 17, 1:52 AM
    MusicMagpie are the best, I go on ebay and buy from them, they sometimes do BOGOF's for about 1.50, all the old stuff, I have a PS3 I upload to and use ITunes, so effectively get it digital just use the CD's to upload from.
    Originally posted by Newusername1
    Musicmagpie also sell via Poundland. I believe their used CDs go for a round pound, so a bit cheaper than their website. The problem is that the CDs in store aren't catalogued in any way so browsing is a real pain. Finding an unexpected gem is pretty rewarding, though.
    • parking_question_chap
    • By parking_question_chap 30th Apr 17, 12:54 AM
    • 1,612 Posts
    • 1,402 Thanks
    parking_question_chap
    Often when I go to a City centre and pop into HMV to see which CDs they have on the 2 for x offer.
    • mickeymouse303
    • By mickeymouse303 10th May 17, 9:10 AM
    • 204 Posts
    • 1,208 Thanks
    mickeymouse303
    Bit old fashioned but I always get good CDs in charity shops haha!
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 10th May 17, 9:13 AM
    • 9,134 Posts
    • 14,069 Thanks
    worried jim
    I've used Music magpie 30 times this year and can highly recommend.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • November2
    • By November2 21st Jun 17, 4:42 PM
    • 759 Posts
    • 211 Thanks
    November2
    Carboots are the best, there's literally thousands of cds at my local, most singles are around 10p/20p and albums 50p. People are basically selling off all their CDS and DVDs as they go digital. The nice thing is you can inspect before buying. I've never had a problem with Musicmagpie for dvds but have yet to receive a decent cd from them.
    • Boredatwrork
    • By Boredatwrork 20th Sep 17, 4:30 PM
    • 965 Posts
    • 2,288 Thanks
    Boredatwrork
    Discogs are great for the rare stuff
    • I am spartacus
    • By I am spartacus 14th Mar 18, 4:25 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    I am spartacus
    Another vote for Music Magpie
    I am, therefore I think.

• TensandUnits
    • By TensandUnits 18th Mar 18, 10:08 AM
    • 43 Posts
    • 88 Thanks
    TensandUnits
    I tend to buy on EBay (music magpie sell on there) or if it's classical music there's a great site called presto classical. Many years ago when I lived closer to London I used to enjoy going around the various music shops there and having a browse, but I'm not even sure they're there any more.
    • parking_question_chap
    • By parking_question_chap 23rd Mar 18, 8:59 PM
    • 1,612 Posts
    • 1,402 Thanks
    parking_question_chap
    Bit old fashioned but I always get good CDs in charity shops haha!
    Originally posted by mickeymouse303
    Might be old fashioned, but on a good system CDs sound a country mile better than your average mp3.
    • Zero Sum
    • By Zero Sum 26th Mar 18, 9:23 AM
    • 370 Posts
    • 280 Thanks
    Zero Sum
    For more obscure stuff there's only really amazon left.
    Play.com was decent (and usually cheaper than amazon) but cant figure out how it actually now works. Looks like its more a referral site
    Base.com is decent also
    • LunaaLouuby
    • By LunaaLouuby 5th Apr 18, 4:10 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    LunaaLouuby
    I tend to use Amazon or Ebay for older stuff. There's CEX too.
    • cjmillsnun
    • By cjmillsnun 6th Apr 18, 10:14 PM
    • 600 Posts
    • 732 Thanks
    cjmillsnun
    Might be old fashioned, but on a good system CDs sound a country mile better than your average mp3.
    Originally posted by parking_question_chap
    Depends on the quality of the mastering. Some of them are not much better as they are victims of the loudness war.

Got to agree with Music Magpie, Poundland, Charity Shops, Car Boots, local independents (although I tend to end up with Vinyl), also add in Cash Converters.
    2.88 kWp System, SE Facing, 30 Degree Pitch, 12 x 240W Conergy Panels, Samil Solar River Inverter, Havant, Hampshire. Installed July 2012, acquired by me on purchase of house in August 2017
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,700Posts Today

7,662Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin