IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Urgent Help - Claim Form

Options
CCG___87
CCG___87 Posts: 16 Forumite
Hi,

Would really appreciate some help with this as im getting extremely anxious and confused about what i should do next. ( post edited - thanks for the help, just need some advice with writing a defense)

I was sent an LBC by Gladstones. I since replied to their letter asking for details of the claim and a letter which is compliant with the Practice Direction. Nearly three months later, i have had no reply from them until i received the below letter.

Could someone please advise me on what to do next? Or how i would go about starting to write a defence? Will this definitely go to court? Sorry for all the questions but i have read through a lot of threads and i cant seem to find one the same as mine where it is actually my parking space.

Really appreciate the help in advance!

Letter here - s15.postimg.org/hkbopvg2j/letter.jpg

Comments

• Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 1 December 2016 at 8:21PM
    Options
    read the COURT CLAIM section of the NEWBIES sticky thread, especiallyl the BARGEPOLE links and read his advice too

and read the PARKING PRANKSTER COURT GUIDE as well

it may go to court , it may not , all depends what happens down the line , this is the opening salvo in the battle , but if the MCOL is from Northampton then its a genuine court claim

if it is your parking space , read the JOPSON case and the latest residents parking summing up in the NOV 2016 section of pranksters blogsite

I see its SIP parking (simple yes , intelligent - no)

https://s15.postimg.org/hkbopvg2j/letter.jpg
  • CCG___87
    Options
    Thanks for the quick response. Apologies but i cant find the court claim section in the newbies thread? I can only find that tells you how to 'complain and appeal'. Could you link me please?

From what i gather i need to send a response online but dont fill in the defence section yet? Not really sure how to begin drafting a defence and from looking at those ive read - it seems very complicated. If you could give a bit more detailed advice that would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if im sounding dumb but this is really new to me and a lot to take in! Thanks
    Redx wrote: »
    read the COURT CLAIM section of the NEWBIES sticky thread, especiallyl the BARGEPOLE links and read his advice too

and read the PARKING PRANKSTER COURT GUIDE as well

it may go to court , it may not , all depends what happens down the line , this is the opening salvo in the battle , but if the MCOL is from Northampton then its a genuine court claim

if it is your parking space , read the JOPSON case and the latest residents parking summing up in the NOV 2016 section of pranksters blogsite

I see its SIP parking (simple yes , intelligent - no)
  • Redx
    edited 1 December 2016 at 9:34PM
    Options
    the COURT CLAIM section is in post #1 of that NEWBIES THREAD , it says SMALL CLAIM in red text to make it stand out ;)

THE BARGEPOLE LINK gives his recent and basic guide to the process including what you do when acknowledging the claim (and what you do not do)

each defence is bespoke so it needs you to look at maybe twenty recent 2016 defences and then start drafting your own , basing yours on what you glean or pinch from those others

once the claim is acknowledged you get 28 days from the effective claim form date to draft the defence , so no idea why you are cramming it into just a few hours , this takes days to understand , to process , to formulate etc

stop rushing and take it in stages , rome wasnt built in a day
  • CCG___87
    Options
    Ah yeah i've found it now, thanks! Not trying to rush it, just received the letter today and started to panic as i thought it had gone away when i replied to their LBC. Does the fact that they never replied to my letter saying that they weren't compliant with the PD mean anything at this stage?

Ive since dug up the fines and two are for parking in MY OWN allocated bay. They said that my permit was out of date however i was never directly sent a new permit (they sent it to my housemate by mistake and it was in his junk emails). Should i contact the permit issuers and ask for proof that they never directly sent me the permit? Surely that would be a good defence or would i need to quote actual laws to win?

The third fine was for parking in a bay which wasnt my own. However someone was parked in my space so i was unable to. The carpark is also for public use and it's not clear which bays are for public use and which are private so i often get people parking in my space and have no choice to park in another bay. Again, surely this would be a good defence? I'm just not sure how legally i should write this.

Also one last thing sorry - once ive checked the box saying i dispute the full amount and left the defence section blank, do i send this directly back to the county court business centre? Or to gladstones?

Again thanks in advance for the help - greatly appreciated!!

Redx wrote: »
    the COURT CLAIM section is in post #1 of that NEWBIES THREAD , it says SMALL CLAIM in red text to make it stand out ;)

THE BARGEPOLE LINK gives his recent and basic guide to the process including what you do when acknowledging the claim (and what you do not do)

each defence is bespoke so it needs you to look at maybe twenty recent 2016 defences and then start drafting your own , basing yours on what you glean or pinch from those others

once the claim is acknowledged you get 28 days from the effective claim form date to draft the defence , so no idea why you are cramming it into just a few hours , this takes days to understand , to process , to formulate etc

stop rushing and take it in stages , rome wasnt built in a day
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Surely that would be a good defence or would i need to quote actual laws to win?
    No, it won't be enough. Quote law and case law and previously-won county court cases.

As you will find in the example defences shown there.

Search the forum for 'Jopson defence' and read all the recent ones done in the last 4 weeks about 'own space' cases.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Redx
    edited 1 December 2016 at 10:34PM
    Options
    this is an MCOL, google what MCOL means

I strongly suggest you follow what bargepole says and do it on their website by logging in and noting down any passwords and references for future logins (no need to post it off)

as these are court papers you deal with the court (seems obvious to me even though I have not done one)

any papers to gladstones are done as well as the court , where necessary , like a part 18 request (if decided upon)

you also need to stop using the word FINE or FINES , they are not and its a bad idea to use that particular word

these are speculative invoices , so call them INVOICES or a Parking Charge Notice which is what it says on them in the first place

and check your rights to park in any tenancy agreement or lease or whatever , plus if any "rules" are established in this "contract", like showing permits etc

read the recent parking prankster blogs where these residential parking issues are mention , and any ongoing cases like the OVERSTONE case , the JOPSON case etc

these companies should place your VRM on a "whitelist" , not be using paper permits

plus if you own the land as landholder they dont have your permission to do this , google DAVEY vs UKPC SUCCESS to see why
  • CCG___87
    Options
    Thanks!

I've just been reading through some threads and came across this;

"“ Preliminary matters.

3. The claimant failed to include a copy of their written contract as per Practice Direction 16 7.3(1) and Practice Direction 7C 1.4(3A). No indication is given as to the Claimants contractual authority to operate there as required by the Claimants Trade Association's Code of Practice B1.1 which says

1.1 If you operate parking management activities on land which is not owned by you, you must supply us with written authority from the land owner sufficient to establish you as the ‘Creditor’ within the meaning of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 (where applicable) and in any event to establish you as a person who is able to recover parking charges. There is no prescribed form for such agreement and it need not necessarily be as part of a contract but it must include the express ability for an operator to recover parking charges on the landowner’s behalf or provide sufficient right to occupy the land in question so that charges can be recovered by the operator directly. This applies whether or not you intend to use the keeper liability provisions.

4. The particulars of claim do not meet the requirements of Practice Direction 16 7.5 as there is nothing which specifies how the terms were breached. Indeed the particulars of claim are not clear and concise as is required by CPR 16.4 1(a). The Claimant are known to be a serial issuer of generic claims similar to this one. HM Courts Service have identified over 1000 similar sparse claims. I believe the term for such behaviour is roboclaims and as such is against the public interest.

Practice Direction 3A which references Civil Procedure Rule 3.4 illustrates this point:

1.4 The following are examples of cases where the court may conclude that particulars of claim (whether contained in a claim form or filed separately) fall within rule 3.4(2)(a):
    (1) those which set out no facts indicating what the claim is about, for example ‘Money owed £5000’,
    (2) those which are incoherent and make no sense,
    (3) those which contain a coherent set of facts but those facts, even if true, do not disclose any legally recognisable claim against the defendant

On the basis of the above, we request the court strike out the claim for want of a cause of action."

Because i sent a reply after receiving my LBC, stating that their letter did not comply with the PD (is this a part 18 request?), then does that mean that i can use the above as my defence?
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Not 'as' your defence - that's merely an appetiser, an introduction to show CPR breaches.

That's not your defence. The meat of your defence is about your rights. Read Jopson case defences from November, by searching.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • CCG___87
    Options
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    Not 'as' your defence - that's merely an appetiser, an introduction to show CPR breaches.

That's not your defence. The meat of your defence is about your rights. Read Jopson case defences from November, by searching.

Thanks, ive started compiling a list of points which seem relevant to my own from cases i've found.

I have contacted the letting agent and have read through my tenancy agreement - it doesn't mention anything about a parking space. They forwarded me onto a company which they say looks after the grounds there and the parking, however they say they cannot provide the proof i need that i have the right to park there. Even though this same company is the one that issues parking permits so im a little stumped. I am trying to find out who actually owns the land there but finding it difficult! Do you have any advice? Thank you for your patience with this by the way, as you can probably tell i'm new to this and getting very stressed. :(
  • bargepole
    bargepole Posts: 3,231 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    CCG___87 wrote: »
    .... I am trying to find out who actually owns the land there but finding it difficult! Do you have any advice? ...

Yes. Try the Land Registry.

There's a clue in the name.

I have been providing assistance, including Lay Representation at Court hearings (current score: won 57, lost 14), to defendants in parking cases for over 5 years. I have an LLB (Hons) degree, and have a Graduate Diploma in Civil Litigation from CILEx. However, any advice given on these forums by me is NOT formal legal advice, and I accept no liability for its accuracy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure