Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Efchutchy
    • By Efchutchy 26th Nov 16, 1:45 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Efchutchy
    Online conveyancing vs Traditional
    • 26th Nov 16, 1:45 PM
    Online conveyancing vs Traditional 26th Nov 16 at 1:45 PM
    Hi all

I wondered if anyone had any experience of using an online conveyancing company for selling a house? If so which company was used and how long did it take to get everything done? Was there a lot of chasing involved etc?

I'm toying with the idea to keep costs down.
Page 1
    • fed up and stressed
    • By fed up and stressed 26th Nov 16, 2:09 PM
    • 1,520 Posts
    • 3,342 Thanks
    fed up and stressed
    • 26th Nov 16, 2:09 PM
    • 26th Nov 16, 2:09 PM
    Did it once. Never ever again.
    Spelling courtesy of the whims of auto correct...

Pet Peeves.... queues, vain people and hypocrites ..not necessarily in that order.
    • Kyresa
    • By Kyresa 26th Nov 16, 2:33 PM
    • 1,363 Posts
    • 880 Thanks
    Kyresa
    • 26th Nov 16, 2:33 PM
    • 26th Nov 16, 2:33 PM
    You get what you pay for. If you want to join the factory line and speak to a different person every time, then you go "cheap". Use one of those lovely online referral companies who take even more of the fee from the conveyancer too... then you can guarantee you'll join the high volume no personal service queue

Alternatively, pay the proper fee for the job to your local high street conveyancer who then doesn't have to operate a factory service

As someone on here wisely once said, whilst your matter may be the utmost priority to you, your conveyancer is not only working on your case
    • tom9980
    • By tom9980 26th Nov 16, 2:35 PM
    • 1,339 Posts
    • 3,942 Thanks
    tom9980
    • 26th Nov 16, 2:35 PM
    • 26th Nov 16, 2:35 PM
    is it really that expensive to use a decent recommended local solicitor? when buying in 2014 it cost me around 800
    In order to change, we must be sick and tired of being sick and tired.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 26th Nov 16, 3:09 PM
    • 12,950 Posts
    • 15,231 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 26th Nov 16, 3:09 PM
    • 26th Nov 16, 3:09 PM
    You get what you pay for. If you want to join the factory line and speak to a different person every time, then you go "cheap". Use one of those lovely online referral companies who take even more of the fee from the conveyancer too... then you can guarantee you'll join the high volume no personal service queue

Alternatively, pay the proper fee for the job to your local high street conveyancer who then doesn't have to operate a factory service

As someone on here wisely once said, whilst your matter may be the utmost priority to you, your conveyancer is not only working on your case
    Originally posted by Kyresa
    Are you stating that a local high street one will only be working on your case? If not, then that what does that mean, because of course a local firm will also be working on more than one case at a time !

My daughter used an online mass market one a couple of years ago, it was fine. Her 'case" had a specific person allocated that she normally spoke to if she needed to and it all went quickly without issues and most documents were uploaded electronically.

I've also read a few accounts here where someone is using a local solicitor who then is ill or goes on holiday and they are stuck, so its not necessarily always plain sailing locally. The one upside is, if they are local you can go and see them personally if things are not going to plan and you dont have to post any documents that do need to be originals.
    • Kyresa
    • By Kyresa 26th Nov 16, 3:57 PM
    • 1,363 Posts
    • 880 Thanks
    Kyresa
    • 26th Nov 16, 3:57 PM
    • 26th Nov 16, 3:57 PM
    Are you stating that a local high street one will only be working on your case? If not, then that what does that mean, because of course a local firm will also be working on more than one case at a time !

My daughter used an online mass market one a couple of years ago, it was fine. Her 'case" had a specific person allocated that she normally spoke to if she needed to and it all went quickly without issues and most documents were uploaded electronically.

I've also read a few accounts here where someone is using a local solicitor who then is ill or goes on holiday and they are stuck, so its not necessarily always plain sailing locally. The one upside is, if they are local you can go and see them personally if things are not going to plan and you dont have to post any documents that do need to be originals.
    Originally posted by AnotherJoe

No, it means that your high street conveyancer will have on average 30 - 40 ongoing files whereas your factory will have on average 100 as they have to keep the churn going because they are barely covering their costs
    • david1951
    • By david1951 26th Nov 16, 4:57 PM
    • 415 Posts
    • 543 Thanks
    david1951
    • 26th Nov 16, 4:57 PM
    • 26th Nov 16, 4:57 PM
    If things go smoothly then online is usually fine. If not, then having someone responsive to deal with a pushy estate agent or an unreasonable vendor is very useful and, in my opinion, worth the extra money.
    • nmjams
    • By nmjams 26th Nov 16, 8:19 PM
    • 242 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    nmjams
    • 26th Nov 16, 8:19 PM
    • 26th Nov 16, 8:19 PM
    I played with the idea of going down the online route but decided on a local conveyancer instead.
    Set fee of 775 inc vat.
    While i was sat in her office i asked a question that i really wanted an answer to asap, the vendors solicitor was also local and both had got to know each other over time so she was able to pick up the phone and ask there and then and got the answer i needed to put my mind at rest.
    We also agreed on a completion date there and then.
    • Efchutchy
    • By Efchutchy 26th Nov 16, 9:06 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Efchutchy
    • 26th Nov 16, 9:06 PM
    • 26th Nov 16, 9:06 PM
    Thanks all for the advice / stories. Will go with a proper high street conveyance company. The one we have now been recommended with is 615 excluding VAT
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,830Posts Today

8,505Users online

Martin's Twitter