sell my timeshare/monster rewards

Options
I was invited to attend a presentation whilst in Tenerife by the above company, who somehow found out I had some RCI points I was interested in getting rid of. They said they could sell them but I had to invest in their monster rewards vouchers which cost thousands. Foolishly, my husband and I signed a contract to this effect and was suppose to make a deposit. However, their machine was not working so we left Tenerife with nothing but the contracts with the promise that once we transferred the money, they will send the vouchers and then proceed to work on selling our timeshare points.
Upon our return to England, I was a bit sceptical about this deal and decided not to go ahead with it. I informed the sales person of this decision a few weeks later only to be told I still owe the money and if we do not pay, they will take legal action.
Can this be done although we do not have any of their products? Please advise.

Comments

• richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    JAYLO wrote: »
    ....if we do not pay, they will take legal action....

Have you got that in writing from someone qualified to make that kind of promise?
    What is the deadline for the payment?
    Which court and where would you need to attend a hearing for them to take legal action and to try and obtain a judgement?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • JAYLO
    JAYLO Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    The contract stated that we had to pay by a certain time, but seeing that we did not make a deposit and do not have any of their products, namely the vouchers, and they are waiting on payment before they can proceed with selling the timeshares, I did not believe they can take legal action. It is only a verbal statement from them that if we do not pay by next week, they have no choice to start legal proceedings. No mention of which court or anything. They have offices here as well.
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm not sure exactly what you're asking. Is it can you cancel ?
    Read this site, it says something about the cooling off period has been extended to 3mths.
    See if it's the same type of case as yours.

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/holidays/timeshare/index_en.htm
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • JAYLO
    Options
    Thank you. I will have a look. Yes. I am asking to cancel and they are saying that we cannot.
  • JAYLO
    Options
    Sailor Sam - The company say they are not a timeshare company but can assist people get out of it. In order to do this, you now have to purchase their voucher system costing over £7000.00 They will then work with their timeshare lawyers in getting us out of the timeshare we are in. So it is about cancelling their product, which yes we signed their contract, but we do not have the product.
  • Raymondo111
    Options
    JAYLO wrote: »
    I was invited to attend a presentation whilst in Tenerife by the above company, who somehow found out I had some RCI points I was interested in getting rid of. They said they could sell them but I had to invest in their monster rewards vouchers which cost thousands. Foolishly, my husband and I signed a contract to this effect and was suppose to make a deposit. However, their machine was not working so we left Tenerife with nothing but the contracts with the promise that once we transferred the money, they will send the vouchers and then proceed to work on selling our timeshare points.
    Upon our return to England, I was a bit sceptical about this deal and decided not to go ahead with it. I informed the sales person of this decision a few weeks later only to be told I still owe the money and if we do not pay, they will take legal action.
    Can this be done although we do not have any of their products? Please advise.

With all the changes to Timeshare Rules that came into play last year the number of Companies cropping up that offer you a get out of your Timeshare for a fee are increasing all the time. Please be aware that in reality it should be very easy to relinquish your Timeshare/Points possibly at no cost if you are willing to tough it out and ignore all the potential threats that they may throw at you. If you look up Timesharetalk on Google and look at some of the Forum threads concerning handing back Timeshare etc it will make interesting reading, there is a Spanish Solicitor on the Forum who is very good and should be able to give you some good advice initially free and then if you want to expand on what he advises then their would probably be some kind of fee but nowhere near £7k and potentially you may be able to get some of your money back for your points particularly if your Home Resort is based in Spain/Canary Islands and involves floating time and an inperpetuity contract.
  • grannytotwins
    Options
    We went to see them in their Stratford-upon-Avon office and thought that we were paying for their legal service. We paid £1000 deposit. We thought we were seeing sellmytimeshare.tv, but the office just had info on Monster Rewards. We thought we were paying for their legal services, but when we left we were given of book of vouchers that we said we didn't want. After returning to the hotel and googling Monster Rewards, we realised that we had no use for their service (to put it politely). The next day we cancelled under their 14 day cooling off period and had an email from them confirming this. We spoke to them on the phone and they said that they were unable to put the money back on our MasterCard and we had to give our bank account details so they could do the transfer. We are well out of the 14 days cooling off period, no money has been refunded and they are not answering our emails. I have reported them to Trading Standards, but this has to be done on line, so won't hear from them until next week. Is this theft? Could I go to the police or is it a civil matter whereby I need to take them to court.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    We went to see them in their Stratford-upon-Avon office and thought that we were paying for their legal service. We paid £1000 deposit. We thought we were seeing sellmytimeshare.tv, but the office just had info on Monster Rewards. We thought we were paying for their legal services, but when we left we were given of book of vouchers that we said we didn't want. After returning to the hotel and googling Monster Rewards, we realised that we had no use for their service (to put it politely). The next day we cancelled under their 14 day cooling off period and had an email from them confirming this. We spoke to them on the phone and they said that they were unable to put the money back on our MasterCard and we had to give our bank account details so they could do the transfer. We are well out of the 14 days cooling off period, no money has been refunded and they are not answering our emails. I have reported them to Trading Standards, but this has to be done on line, so won't hear from them until next week. Is this theft? Could I go to the police or is it a civil matter whereby I need to take them to court.
    Contact your bank and demand a chargeback of the amount you paid. Send them proof of cancellation within the time window.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,278 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Contact your bank and demand a chargeback of the amount you paid.

OP paid by credit card

"they said that they were unable to put the money back on our MasterCard "
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sheramber wrote: »
    Contact your bank and demand a chargeback of the amount you paid.

OP paid by credit card

"they said that they were unable to put the money back on our MasterCard "

Not sure of the point you are making.

Teh provider has failed to reimburse so the next stop is the credit card provider. Presumably bank.

Chargeback is a reasonable first request, if that fails then section 75 can be used, which will cost the bank some money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure