Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 15th Nov 16, 1:14 PM
    • 297Posts
    • 637Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Aim to get mortgage down before increasing again
    • 15th Nov 16, 1:14 PM
    Aim to get mortgage down before increasing again 15th Nov 16 at 1:14 PM
    Hiya I had joined years back but in the last year been reading most of the diaries re trying to get your mortgage. I have been overpaying the mortgage for the last ten years and managed to overpay over £20k. I want to note my progress as trying to get mortgage down as much as possible before borrowing more money for a 2 Storey extension.

We moved into our 3 bed detached 6years ago and had a mortgage of roughly £110 but to date I have managed to get this down to £60450 approx. I am overpaying £200 per month as this is ok does not affect family life otherwise husband would say something but he is happy that I am doing this. Trying to continue to put more money into our savings so that we have some money to contribute to the extension cost as well as trying to get the mortgage down to £58k or lower.

I'm 42 with Hubble 39 and 2 kids 9 and nearly 5. We are awaiting to hear if we have planning for the rear extension and then will have to see if passed by building control afterwards and then approach our mortgage lender to see if they will allow us extra borrowing of roughly £60k. This will take up up to a higher figure than I would like but I will plod along and see how it goes,

We are on a 5yr fixed which we took out last June at a rate of 2.34%.

Been doing Tilly tally every Sunday and it all adds up and will transfer the extra money to the mortgage and see what else I can do to bring it down before we have to increase.

Will try to keep you posted.
Page 11
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 15th Sep 18, 8:43 AM
    • 297 Posts
    • 637 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Well managed to put a bit in the savings last Tuesday to build back up the savings again. Today we are off to the next village for the scarecrow events - should be good as craft fair, farmers market, cafe and the walk about to see the scarecrows. Just hope it stays dry most of the day.

Daughter who is 11 came in the other day to see that a big group of the p7 kids are meeting up at the park, now it’s moved onto 5he local bowling and then over to McDonald’s. She is going but had a long group chat with the mums and all say we need to try to release the reins on them. So need to come back from scarecrow event about 3.30pm to head to the bowling for daughter.

Tomorrow we are going to a trampoline party for nephew in the afternoon and then to friends house who hubbie is moving to America next weekend for work. His wife will join him later after having an operation. Busy weekend.

Next week I have only to work 2 days as off Friday and we are going for our usual September weekend trip to Largs. I hope it stays dry.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 15th Sep 18, 8:45 AM
    • 297 Posts
    • 637 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Garden at a standstill for over a week so will be speaking to the builder. I know our job is small in comparison to the next door neighbour but thought more would have been done and I am trying to be patience. Will no doubt see him Monday and find out what happening even though I spoke to him last Monday and was advised that stuff would be done this week. Moan over.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 25th Sep 18, 1:39 PM
    • 297 Posts
    • 637 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Had a great holiday at largs and weather was good. Spent all the money budget plus dinner put was on the credit card. Visited our usual haunts and we went over to millport on the ferry on Sunday to see Nana and Papa to do crab hunting as they were there for the weekend festival.. Kids loved it.

This Thursday going to my uncle funeral so will see all the family which not seen for a while. Luckily kids going to after school that day so it fine if we get back after 5pm.

Back garden monoblock is being done today so will see if it's all finished today or goes on for a bit. Slowly getting there but need to try to stain the decking once works done and before winter comes.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 1st Oct 18, 4:00 PM
    • 297 Posts
    • 637 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Back garden finished so hubbie was out tidying up the stones part. Daughter trying out the fake grass with gymnastics and it's ok.

Today I made a overpayment to the mortgage of £120 - this is 2 months payments.

Hubbie got a review and got a big title as well as a wage increase. Hoping this will allow us to not be so tight in budgeting now as got a bit more money to play with.

Started some Xmas shopping yesterday as Smyth's were doing their 20%deal so it's started. Son is desperate to write his santa list already.
    Last edited by Schoolworker; 04-10-2018 at 10:35 PM.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 4th Oct 18, 10:31 PM
    • 297 Posts
    • 637 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Had kids parents evening tonight. Both kids doing well. Son is getting a bit extra help for reading and writing. Daughter is doing well and teacher says she needs to get work more challenging for her. All well and I managed to catch up quite lots of parents as we had to bring up a concerning matter with the headteacher. Hopefully it will get sorted out.

One more work day of week hurrah. On Saturday we are dumping kids at gran and grandpa in afternoon and heading to a nice hotel with pool and spa for dinner bed and breakfast to celebrate our wedding anniversary of 13years which happened on Monday. Looking forward to this. On Sunday need to get back at lunchtime to take daughter and friends to a schoolfriends roller skate disco party.
    Last edited by Schoolworker; 04-10-2018 at 10:37 PM.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 11th Oct 18, 6:44 PM
    • 297 Posts
    • 637 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    We our overnight stay was lovely but I ended up with a heavy cold so Hubbie was able to use the swimming pool etc. The dinner was lovely and then 1 drink in the bar and back to the room as not feeling great. Daughter loved the party whilst I was in my bed most of Sunday.

Things were still going at the school Monday and Tuesday - hope this gets sorted soon.

Only one more day to go until our October holiday from school. After this I have a lovely job of buying tuck shop for the kids school disco. Need to think of an outfit me and kids can wear for the disco - thinking cap needs to go on.
    • Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 12th Oct 18, 8:53 AM
    • 2,022 Posts
    • 11,133 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    Sorry to read about your uncles funeral Schoolworker x

Your trip away with the crabbing sounded lovely

Great news about OHs salary increase
    2018 MFW #20 - OP £3302.35/ £3000 110%
    Aug: £461.02 Sept: £10 Oct: £240.82 Nov: £50.65

Mortgage Oct '16 £170.995 LTV 90% end: Nov 2041
    Overpayments 2016 £255.50 2017 £2600.40
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 16th Oct 18, 8:26 AM
    • 297 Posts
    • 637 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Well off school this week so yesterday was a spendy day getting winter boots for daughter, wellies for son and long sleeved school shirts. We also got our Halloween outfits. Daughter is going as a pink lady, son is a zombie private and alien outfit. I got for the school disco and hubbie may borrow for B.B. party I will be a nun.

We are heading off to the pictures today to see small foot using our meekcat voucher as well as daughter getting her hair cut. Tomorrow no doubt hanging about and dentist check up. Not sure what will happen on Thursday and Friday as hubbie off work.
    Last edited by Schoolworker; 16-10-2018 at 8:30 AM.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 28th Oct 18, 5:33 PM
    • 297 Posts
    • 637 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    During school October week we visited the five sisters zoo on Thursday in Livingston - great day out and has expanded greatly since we last went there at least 10years ago. On Friday we went swimming and then put for lunch with friend. Daughter then went to friends house for birthday treat.
    On Thursday there it was the school Halloween disco and I had bought all the tuck. Kids loved it and all sweets seem to be sold out. Had to come back from both discos and pack the rucksack for DD to go on scout trip the next day.

This Friday daughter went to scout trip in Perthshire and returned today. She loved it and we packed enough clothes to keep warm as it was really cold this weekend. It was the first time she was away on trip so unsure what amount of stuff to pack. It was great training for going away with the school to kilbowie in December with all activities they do. Glad she liked it.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 8th Nov 18, 5:46 PM
    • 297 Posts
    • 637 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Well Tuesday I managed to pay off £60 in mortgage overpayment as well as putting some money into the savings.

I have started my Xmas shopping for other folk and will do this over the next several weeks, but I have started.

Last night I was at a social media talk at my school by the police. It was very interesting so daughter will be talked to properly. I went as we have experienced a bit of trouble through social media for my daughter who is in p7 so it was good to get more information.

To ight off to kids school pta meeting where we will talk about the upcoming Xmas fayre. I have been round local shops trying to get raffle prizes.

On Saturday I think I have several hours to myself as hubbie away to Edinburgh for rugby and dinner and drinks and not sure what time he will return. Son going to a party - being collected at 10.20am until 2.30pm and daughter going to a party 11am to 4pm. Will see what I get up to probably nothing exciting.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,279Posts Today

9,187Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I am predicting the word myself will be misused 6 times in today;s boardroom. What do yourself think? #TheApprentice

• Not sure how I ever succeeded running a successful entreprise? After all my gardening and garden design skills are? https://t.co/FFnvkjsGDU

• RT @TinaTeapot27: Just did an energy price comparison via @MoneySavingExp and switched to new supplier. Straightforward, took 5 mins, and w?

• Follow Martin