Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 15th Nov 16, 12:14 PM
    • 327Posts
    • 724Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Aim to get mortgage down before increasing again
    • 15th Nov 16, 12:14 PM
    Aim to get mortgage down before increasing again 15th Nov 16 at 12:14 PM
    Hiya I had joined years back but in the last year been reading most of the diaries re trying to get your mortgage. I have been overpaying the mortgage for the last ten years and managed to overpay over £20k. I want to note my progress as trying to get mortgage down as much as possible before borrowing more money for a 2 Storey extension.

We moved into our 3 bed detached 6years ago and had a mortgage of roughly £110 but to date I have managed to get this down to £60450 approx. I am overpaying £200 per month as this is ok does not affect family life otherwise husband would say something but he is happy that I am doing this. Trying to continue to put more money into our savings so that we have some money to contribute to the extension cost as well as trying to get the mortgage down to £58k or lower.

I'm 42 with Hubble 39 and 2 kids 9 and nearly 5. We are awaiting to hear if we have planning for the rear extension and then will have to see if passed by building control afterwards and then approach our mortgage lender to see if they will allow us extra borrowing of roughly £60k. This will take up up to a higher figure than I would like but I will plod along and see how it goes,

We are on a 5yr fixed which we took out last June at a rate of 2.34%.

Been doing Tilly tally every Sunday and it all adds up and will transfer the extra money to the mortgage and see what else I can do to bring it down before we have to increase.

Will try to keep you posted.
Page 11
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 15th Sep 18, 7:43 AM
    • 327 Posts
    • 724 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Well managed to put a bit in the savings last Tuesday to build back up the savings again. Today we are off to the next village for the scarecrow events - should be good as craft fair, farmers market, cafe and the walk about to see the scarecrows. Just hope it stays dry most of the day.

Daughter who is 11 came in the other day to see that a big group of the p7 kids are meeting up at the park, now itís moved onto 5he local bowling and then over to McDonaldís. She is going but had a long group chat with the mums and all say we need to try to release the reins on them. So need to come back from scarecrow event about 3.30pm to head to the bowling for daughter.

Tomorrow we are going to a trampoline party for nephew in the afternoon and then to friends house who hubbie is moving to America next weekend for work. His wife will join him later after having an operation. Busy weekend.

Next week I have only to work 2 days as off Friday and we are going for our usual September weekend trip to Largs. I hope it stays dry.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 15th Sep 18, 7:45 AM
    • 327 Posts
    • 724 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Garden at a standstill for over a week so will be speaking to the builder. I know our job is small in comparison to the next door neighbour but thought more would have been done and I am trying to be patience. Will no doubt see him Monday and find out what happening even though I spoke to him last Monday and was advised that stuff would be done this week. Moan over.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 25th Sep 18, 12:39 PM
    • 327 Posts
    • 724 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Had a great holiday at largs and weather was good. Spent all the money budget plus dinner put was on the credit card. Visited our usual haunts and we went over to millport on the ferry on Sunday to see Nana and Papa to do crab hunting as they were there for the weekend festival.. Kids loved it.

This Thursday going to my uncle funeral so will see all the family which not seen for a while. Luckily kids going to after school that day so it fine if we get back after 5pm.

Back garden monoblock is being done today so will see if it's all finished today or goes on for a bit. Slowly getting there but need to try to stain the decking once works done and before winter comes.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 1st Oct 18, 3:00 PM
    • 327 Posts
    • 724 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Back garden finished so hubbie was out tidying up the stones part. Daughter trying out the fake grass with gymnastics and it's ok.

Today I made a overpayment to the mortgage of £120 - this is 2 months payments.

Hubbie got a review and got a big title as well as a wage increase. Hoping this will allow us to not be so tight in budgeting now as got a bit more money to play with.

Started some Xmas shopping yesterday as Smyth's were doing their 20%deal so it's started. Son is desperate to write his santa list already.
    Last edited by Schoolworker; 04-10-2018 at 9:35 PM.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 4th Oct 18, 9:31 PM
    • 327 Posts
    • 724 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Had kids parents evening tonight. Both kids doing well. Son is getting a bit extra help for reading and writing. Daughter is doing well and teacher says she needs to get work more challenging for her. All well and I managed to catch up quite lots of parents as we had to bring up a concerning matter with the headteacher. Hopefully it will get sorted out.

One more work day of week hurrah. On Saturday we are dumping kids at gran and grandpa in afternoon and heading to a nice hotel with pool and spa for dinner bed and breakfast to celebrate our wedding anniversary of 13years which happened on Monday. Looking forward to this. On Sunday need to get back at lunchtime to take daughter and friends to a schoolfriends roller skate disco party.
    Last edited by Schoolworker; 04-10-2018 at 9:37 PM.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 11th Oct 18, 5:44 PM
    • 327 Posts
    • 724 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    We our overnight stay was lovely but I ended up with a heavy cold so Hubbie was able to use the swimming pool etc. The dinner was lovely and then 1 drink in the bar and back to the room as not feeling great. Daughter loved the party whilst I was in my bed most of Sunday.

Things were still going at the school Monday and Tuesday - hope this gets sorted soon.

Only one more day to go until our October holiday from school. After this I have a lovely job of buying tuck shop for the kids school disco. Need to think of an outfit me and kids can wear for the disco - thinking cap needs to go on.
    • Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 12th Oct 18, 7:53 AM
    • 2,119 Posts
    • 11,763 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    Sorry to read about your uncles funeral Schoolworker x

Your trip away with the crabbing sounded lovely

Great news about OHs salary increase
    2019 MFW #20£1172.70/ £4500 26%

Mort- Oct16 £170.995 (end Nov 2041) Dec18 £152,838

Overpayments 2016 £255.50 2017 £2600.40 2018 £4500
    Referral codes= Prolific- 8JXN5BVG shopmium- ACEAHKFA Shoppix- 57VB13QH
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 16th Oct 18, 7:26 AM
    • 327 Posts
    • 724 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Well off school this week so yesterday was a spendy day getting winter boots for daughter, wellies for son and long sleeved school shirts. We also got our Halloween outfits. Daughter is going as a pink lady, son is a zombie private and alien outfit. I got for the school disco and hubbie may borrow for B.B. party I will be a nun.

We are heading off to the pictures today to see small foot using our meekcat voucher as well as daughter getting her hair cut. Tomorrow no doubt hanging about and dentist check up. Not sure what will happen on Thursday and Friday as hubbie off work.
    Last edited by Schoolworker; 16-10-2018 at 7:30 AM.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 28th Oct 18, 4:33 PM
    • 327 Posts
    • 724 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    During school October week we visited the five sisters zoo on Thursday in Livingston - great day out and has expanded greatly since we last went there at least 10years ago. On Friday we went swimming and then put for lunch with friend. Daughter then went to friends house for birthday treat.
    On Thursday there it was the school Halloween disco and I had bought all the tuck. Kids loved it and all sweets seem to be sold out. Had to come back from both discos and pack the rucksack for DD to go on scout trip the next day.

This Friday daughter went to scout trip in Perthshire and returned today. She loved it and we packed enough clothes to keep warm as it was really cold this weekend. It was the first time she was away on trip so unsure what amount of stuff to pack. It was great training for going away with the school to kilbowie in December with all activities they do. Glad she liked it.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 8th Nov 18, 4:46 PM
    • 327 Posts
    • 724 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Well Tuesday I managed to pay off £60 in mortgage overpayment as well as putting some money into the savings.

I have started my Xmas shopping for other folk and will do this over the next several weeks, but I have started.

Last night I was at a social media talk at my school by the police. It was very interesting so daughter will be talked to properly. I went as we have experienced a bit of trouble through social media for my daughter who is in p7 so it was good to get more information.

To ight off to kids school pta meeting where we will talk about the upcoming Xmas fayre. I have been round local shops trying to get raffle prizes.

On Saturday I think I have several hours to myself as hubbie away to Edinburgh for rugby and dinner and drinks and not sure what time he will return. Son going to a party - being collected at 10.20am until 2.30pm and daughter going to a party 11am to 4pm. Will see what I get up to probably nothing exciting.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 24th Nov 18, 7:48 AM
    • 327 Posts
    • 724 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Well plodding along trying to get Xmas presents for everyone - I think I'm half way through. Santa presents are mostly done only to get chocolate coins and a book for them.

My son birthday is beginning of December so we are arranging for 6 wee pals all boys to come to the house and go to the pictures to see Ralph wrecks the internet then back to the house for some games, eats and running about. Need to get stuff in today for the party bags and goodie bags for the pictures.
    Got sons birthday present in so going to wrap this tonight when they are at Nana and Papa for a sleepover as we are off out. We are off out to dinner with friends and hopefully get a chance to wrap up DD Xmas parcels and hide them properly. Do not wrap ds until after his birthday.

Got quite a few bargains on Tuesday for Xmas as black Friday week as well as my outfit for my work Xmas party.
    No finance stuff to report really apart doing small Tilly tally's every so often. Cc is rather high but hopefully still manageable but will need to work on this in December as do not want another very high bill.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 8th Dec 18, 2:20 PM
    • 327 Posts
    • 724 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Hiya. Been busy and running about doing extra at work as well as trying to finish Xmas shopping.

Last night went to the Tron theatre in Glasgow with BB as a parent helper - it was good but got totally soaked when walking from car to theatre. Today we headed to local place for santa trip, train ride, carousel, storytelling and visit to santa as well as they ate ice skating. Kids are loving it but DD know the truth so chose a present from santa to give to the church gift service since they are all too young for her. She is happy with the ice skating and other rides we have done. Will head back to put up the smaller kids tree tonight after tea. Tomorrow put up the main tree and other decorations.

Work was a bit manic as inspectors were in the school but told it's a good report coming out. Xmas night out for me is next Saturday and hubbie is on Friday night.

Daughter going to kilbowie with school on Monday to Friday so need to finish marking all clothes with her name and make sure we have everything - which I think we will. Exciting times as she will love it.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 8th Dec 18, 2:23 PM
    • 327 Posts
    • 724 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Hopefully trying to get the few extra stuff for the kids as well 2 more presents on Monday before going out for lunch with a friend. Then it's only a voucher to get for my mum and dad for a restaurant but will get this the week before Xmas as only valid for 6mths. Getting there but need to think about what to start to buy in food and drink wise for Xmas day.

We have my family over for dinner this year and then off to hubbie parents for dinner on boxing Day.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 14th Dec 18, 6:48 AM
    • 327 Posts
    • 724 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Well daughter due back from school trip at kilbowie - pictures they posted look good so hopefully she has had a ball. Itís been strange not having her in the house.

Iím loaded with the cold and itís my works night out tomorrow night - all set apart from we are due snow tomorrow - hopefully itís not too bad. Ge ting a lift in and have preordered my taxi.

Turkey is bought so just need to start to get more stuff from my menu but I have written my list and see what I can get this Monday and Tuesday when off. Only 4 more days of work - hurrah. Canít wait. Got all Xmas present in and mostly wrapped but son has been invited to a birthday party of a school friend on sat 22nd dec so need to get a girls present next week.

Need to head on Monday to bank to make my last overpayment of the year as well as money in the savings before it gets spent.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 24th Dec 18, 9:18 AM
    • 327 Posts
    • 724 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Made overpayment to mortgage of £50 last monday.
    Well all set and if I have forgotten anything it's too late as not going near shops again for several days. Nicked to scotmix there as son ate all the eggs so we have bread and eggs for the fry up tomorrow.

Last day at school was good and kids went to the pics with a family friend whilst I went out for lunch in a pub at 3pm. I'm back to school on 9th January so off for a bit - hurrah.

Went to a work colleagues wedding reception on Saturday night there - it was good but took the car as had a few things to do over the weekend. Sunday went to church and saw the kids doing the nativity.

Going off to trampoline park in Greenock for the kids to enjoy and then back to do a bit of ironing. We are going to the family church service at 6.30pm with sister in law and nephews before trying to get kids to bed later on. Son who is 7 is hyper and very excited. We have the family over for dinner tomorrow and then going to the in-laws on boxing Day.

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 31st Dec 18, 3:53 PM
    • 327 Posts
    • 724 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Well Christmas is over and had family celebrations. Off out tonight to a childish at the local church hall with several friends - will see how it fairs as it usually just 2 families in either house for the bells. We are off to my parents for New Years steak pie tomorrow.

Yesterday daughter and I went to shops to spend her vouchers so all spent and got clothes for summer holiday in Spain in July. I was asked by edg to put in meter readings and it has come back that our monthly payment has jumped from £99 to £132. Will need to look into if this is normal for a 4bed house.

Just logged in to nationwide and mortgage balance is 101,160.10. I ha d signed up for 2019 challenge for £6500as I have a large chunk of money being paid off the mortgage and see whatíre that take us for 2020. At least itís getting near to under £100k which is great as last sept we increased to £120k. New year to you all.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 1st Jan 19, 10:35 AM
    • 327 Posts
    • 724 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Had a great night at the ceilidh last night but very emotional as 2 good friends were with us who are leaving to go to America for 4yrs plus to work there. They were teary and so was hubbie, me and daughter very teary. The wife will hopefully be back a few times this year and in 2020 we want to head over to see them as well as a few other places in America. It was a great night and we knew quite a few folks there from school.

This year we are looking forward to the kids going their first abroad beach holiday to Spain in July. Thinking of booking hotel in Aberdeen again to see my brother in April.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 7th Jan 19, 1:57 PM
    • 327 Posts
    • 724 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Back to normality today as kids back to school and had to get up early. I'm back to school on Wednesday.

Today went to dental hospital as referred by dentist. Going back for a tiny op on 2nd April. Hope to see if we can get a deal.on the Aberdeen hotel just after that as school is off then.

Spoke to EDF and we have set the DD for £110 which is still an increase as I owe a bit of money but need to see if phoning back to increase as heating has been wonky for the last several days so it's been a sauna which will no get my bill down.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 17th Jan 19, 5:13 PM
    • 327 Posts
    • 724 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Made a small overpayment to mortgage this month of £50 the other day. Put money into our ISAs. Account looking ok but need to see how we do o we the next week as I get paid the following week. Still got a few birthday presents to buy for January and early February.

Back to normal at work. We have booked the hotel in Aberdeen for a wee break away at Easter so the kids will be happy as they loved it last year.

Thinking of going out for lunch next Monday to use up some restaurant vouchers we got.

Been bugging out rubbish and watching what I eat and have lost 4lbs in 2 weeks. need to continue as would like to lose a lot before our summer holiday in Spain in so that I can get into my summer clothes again - struggled last year this with.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 4th Feb 19, 2:28 PM
    • 327 Posts
    • 724 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Hiya made February overpayment today of £70 as well as putting money into our ISAs.

This Saturday we have my friends boy18th party and just got him a personalised pen, hope to get the chocolate beer bottle from Thornton's as well some money for his boys holiday in the summer.

Was out today bought a watch which hubbie will give for my birthday in 2 weeks. Not sure if doing anything since it's my birthday just after valentine so most of the resturants have the set menu which is dearer - will need to see what we do.

So far in the last 4 weeks lost 6 lbs so need to continue and hope I get to my next stone down this rhursday.

Last Tuesday DD went to high school in the morning for project morning and then parent went for information afternoon and tour around the school which hubbie loved. Heading back to high school on 21st February evening for another project night. DD is loving it so far.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,883Posts Today

7,850Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin