Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • newuser78
    • By newuser78 18th Oct 16, 1:39 AM
    • 185Posts
    • 35Thanks
    Energy Club - switch?
    • #1
    • 18th Oct 16, 1:39 AM
    Energy Club - switch? 18th Oct 16 at 1:39 AM

    This is perhaps a very stupid question but just in case!

    My flatmate moved out and gas/elec accounts are in her name (I contribute directly to her bank account). So I now need to arrange for new elec/gas in my own name, e.g. new account.

    Can I still use Energy Club to "switch" even though I have no existing account to switch from? She is transferring account to her new property so not an option.

    Many thanks!
Page 1
    • CashStrapped
    • By CashStrapped 18th Oct 16, 2:04 AM
    • 1,286 Posts
    • 720 Thanks
    • #2
    • 18th Oct 16, 2:04 AM
    • #2
    • 18th Oct 16, 2:04 AM

    You have to create a new account (in your name) with the existing supplier first.

    Ensure they put you on either a standard tariff (expensive but no switching/exit fees). Or, their cheapest fixed tariff with no switching/exit fees.

    Once you have done this and it is all set-up, do a comparison and switch. You will only be able to switch with tariffs available at that point. You cannot switch now, and then create an account as it could all go belly up and cause confusion.

    One thing to check, as it is a flat, and you are renting, is that you are not using a pre-pay meter. If you are, ask your landlord if you can change to a credit meter. Getting off a prepay meter can save a huge amount.
    Last edited by CashStrapped; 18-10-2016 at 2:12 AM.
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 18th Oct 16, 8:45 AM
    • 27,324 Posts
    • 13,376 Thanks
    • #3
    • 18th Oct 16, 8:45 AM
    • #3
    • 18th Oct 16, 8:45 AM
    Your flatmate cannot 'transfer the account' at your flat to her new property. She can keep the same company, but the account is tied to your address and meter serial numbers.

    The procedure is for her to get a final bill with meter readings that you and her both agree are correct, and the account put into your name. It really is no different to her selling, or ceasing to rent, and you as a new occupant moving into the property.

    Obviously as soon as the account is in your name you can instigate switching procedures. However as stated above, if you intend to switch ensure that you are not on a tariff with penalties for leaving.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,458Posts Today

8,595Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line?

  • RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

  • Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

  • Follow Martin