New kitten insurance help please.

Hi all, Pickles the kitten arrived this weekend, he's very confident and settled really well, he was a rescue from cpl , he loves to sleep wrapped round my neck !, he came with 4 weeks free insurance and so far had 2 quotes from pet plan and argos for 7 thousand lifetime policy. The argos one is half the price of petplan does anyone know if they are as good, and will the put premiums up a lot in the 2nd year ?
Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.

Comments

• Money_maker
    Money_maker Posts: 5,471 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I'm also with Argos, was paying around £7-8, she's 5 now and I'm paying £10.78 monthly. I run a savings account alongside which I put the identical amount in with the idea that when she gets much older and it goes up a lot, I can use the savings account for any vets bills. I believe petplan are the best but I'm happy paying a more reasonable amount through argos.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed. ;)

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,672 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Thanks that's a good idea. Have you ever made a claim? Does anyone use Tesco ?
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 2,202 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Subscribed as hope to be shopping around for insurance soon too!
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,059 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    I have one dog insured with Tesco for the last two years but have not had to claim. A colleague has claimed as her spaniel had allergies and they paid for allergy testing without any problem.

My premiums haven't gone up more than 5 or 6 pounds a months for an now 11 year old dog. I pay just over £300 per year.

Whether they put premiums up of you claim I can't say. Petplan do not, but their premiums are more in the first place.
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,672 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Am I right to think that I need to have the new insurance overlap with the free petplan insurance by 2 weeks ?
  • Money_maker
    Money_maker Posts: 5,471 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    wort wrote: »
    Thanks that's a good idea. Have you ever made a claim? Does anyone use Tesco ?
    I've never made a claim. I have a friend whose dog is insured with Sainsbury and they've been really good. They've paid out around 6K for operations. Mind you, the monthly premium is ridiculous now. As the pets age increases, so does the premium whether you claim or not hence my additional savings account.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed. ;)

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    We're with petplan with our dog and I can not fault the service we have just had to claim for an operation we just paid the excess and they pd the rest to our vet. Our last dog was insured again with petplan we only made 1 claim nearly 3k

I have a friend she has 3 cars there all insured with petplan.

With a new policy you can't make a claim for the 1st 14 days.

Digressing - I don't know re any other policies but with whole of life with petplan if anything does happen ur covered. With the last dog when we claimed he had fractured the bone in his spine it had fragmented into his spinal cord, touch wood he made 80% recovery - had we have needed more treatment or he had new illness /injury arising it was the peace of mind that we were covered xx
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • room512
    room512 Posts: 1,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    We're going to join our vets scheme. It covers everything except medication but we receive a 20% discount on any meds used. If they need x-rays or blood tests they're included and also their yearly vaccinations and claw clipping is in with the price. It's not cheap (think £17 a kitten) but if you don't need anything during the year then the next year you get a 10% discount. As it seems to be the consultations that cost I think this is the right thing for us.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,059 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    wort wrote: »
    Am I right to think that I need to have the new insurance overlap with the free petplan insurance by 2 weeks ?

yes, you do for continuing cover. But be aware any condition arising in that 2 weeks will be a pre existing condition for the new insurance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure